Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Can someone recommend a good fruit to use in a green smoothie
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 26, 2010 11:39PM

BESIDES bananas? When I used to buy them at Whole Foods (before I smartened up and made them myself!), I would ask them to use other fruits. Bananas have such a dominant flavor. I like strawberries but they are a bit watery and don't lend smoothies much of a body the way bananas do. I really like frozen payaya. I have never combined it with greeens. Any experiences with certain sweet fruits?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can someone recommend a good fruit to use in a green smoothie
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 26, 2010 11:43PM

I love raspberries and blackberries... and bananas,lol... uh, I use fresh orange juice sometimes too... and pineapple when its on a really good sale.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 26, 2010 11:43PM

When we make them we use a combo of things, mixed frozen berries (raspberry, blackberry, strawberry, blueberry), pineapple, and banana. I don't put banana in mine at all, that other stuff is fine, even just the berries without the pineapple. You just have to swallow it and ignore the seeds smiling smiley.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 27, 2010 12:08AM

I generally add apple, green apple, orange and lemon juice, mango and banana, although sometimes I replace the mango with berries. It's not a fruit, but a third of a [peeled] English cucumber makes the smoothie taste like summer. And the fresh scent when your knife hits the cucumber--ahhhhhhh : )

Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: June 27, 2010 02:30AM

Fresh or frozen berries, apple, banana, mixed with greens. One other thing you might want to try is drizzling in some coconut oil -- adds body and a luscious flavor!

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: June 27, 2010 02:34AM

When I was eating green smoothies, I was using bananas and berries plus greens. Over time, I lost the greens in my smoothies.

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: June 27, 2010 05:44AM

Cantaloupe or watermelon is really great. I have been doing a spinach, kale, cantaloupe, banana smoothie in the mornings and they are fantastic. I would use mango but I LOVE them so much that I feel like not eating them plain is a waste...lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2010 05:46AM by Nubster.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 27, 2010 07:23AM

lol, I feel the same about cantaloupe and watermelon,lol.

Date: June 27, 2010 04:58PM

Pineapple! Pineapple has such a big, sweet flavour you can go mad with stuff like watercress, rocket, kale and spirulina without the smoothie tasting like a swamp smiling smiley

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 27, 2010 06:39PM

Pears, oranges, mangoes

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: June 27, 2010 11:11PM

Thanks all. Great examples. I love bananas but I am so over them in smoothies right now.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: June 28, 2010 06:19AM

if you don't want banana, i would use apple as they give a body to smoothies cuz they don't liquify. apple, pear, soaked seeds help with the body too.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: June 29, 2010 10:12AM

Nubster Wrote: I would use mango but I LOVE them so much that I feel like not eating them plain is a waste...lol

Me too. Mangoes are my favorite fruit.

Banana, mango & other tropical fruit tend to be the most flavorful. While all the rest you just need to increase the quantity for them to work well. If they're too watery, you can add other things for bulk such as avocado or other fats. I like hemp seeds/butter or chia seed gel. Or use less water.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables