Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Psych medication help
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 26, 2006 12:13AM

Hello. I have recently been put on medication for schizophrenia. I was wondering if I could be raw and still take my medication. I really want to purify myself all the way but the doctor insists that I keep taking my pills. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2006 12:14AM by spookypumpkin3.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Psych medication help
Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: August 26, 2006 12:43AM

Well, I would imagine raw + meds is better than not raw + meds, but I may be wrong...

Posted by: rooneyandmuldoon ()
Date: August 26, 2006 01:34AM

I take psych meds too, and I haven't noticed a problem yet, in my first month of about 80% raw food.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: August 26, 2006 01:38AM

Personally, I would find a different, more nutritionally aware doctor or other professional. Generally, however, medical doctors are invaluable in that whatever they tell you to do, simply do the opposite and you'll be fine.

If you eat raw, especially 100%, you can wean yourself off any medications as your brain chemistry returns to its natural function. Raw fruits and vegetables contain the "order of Nature" within them, and this will restore order to your brain. I speak from experience, having been through a very difficult period of my own many years ago.

BTW, medical doctors do not understand the wholistic function of the human body. However this is not their fault, as it is not what they were taught in medical school. Also, just because a doctor tells you to do something, does not mean that it is the correct thing to do. It just means it's what they KNOW.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2006 01:45AM by learningtofly.

Date: August 26, 2006 01:42AM

100% raw + 0 meds > raw + meds > cooked + meds

Date: August 26, 2006 01:53AM

Not all doctors are that bad or ignorant of holistic health. The main thing is "having a difficult period" is different than having Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder. These are physiological conditions that need to be addressed. They can be life threatening. You shouldn't just be telling someone to go off their meds. That is simplistic and dangerous. After a person has been raw for a while, they may be able to wean themselves off gradually, or minimize their dose, with a doctor's supervision. But a psych patient shouldn't just dump their doc because they've recently started eating raw foods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2006 01:55AM by rooneyandmuldoon.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 26, 2006 02:00AM

Good question!

My thoughts / opinion:

-You are asking if you CAN? Of course you can. I would continue to eat healthier and healthier.......and as you feel better....consult with your doctor about lowering your dose......or eliminating it completely....if that's what you want.

-David Mason

Date: August 26, 2006 02:13AM

<You shouldn't just be telling someone to go off their meds. That is simplistic and dangerous.>

rooneyandmuldoon, I did not mean to imply that someone going raw should simply stop taking their medications. Weaning is always the way to go. When I wrote 100% raw + 0 meds, I meant that as a potential future goal, and not simply to stop taking one's medications.

David Mason's advice is excellent.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: August 26, 2006 04:06AM

If your meds are lithium (I've heard that ithium is one of the drugs used for this) you might want to look into celtic sea salt as a natural source of it. I've heard of it helping, I have no personal experience with it.

[www.mnwelldir.org]

Two: I recall from an advanced psychology lecture in college in which the professor loudly stated: "The difference between a violent, aberrant mental patient and you people sitting here is two cents worth of lithium." Bipolar patients are often prescribed lithium, however, the side effects of this medication can be nasty. Celtic Sea Salt contains natural lithium salts. Unlike supplementing with medicinal lithium, the lithium in Celtic Sea Salt is absorbed naturally, in quantities nature intended, and they are untreated, unprocessed, and as natural as the earth itself.

[www.healthboards.com]
Some guy who got off his meds by taking sea salt.

[www.mnwelldir.org]

Within a year or so I discovered that Zoloft was messing with my liver function. I was then put on Nefazodone. I soon discovered that I was one of the .4% who was allergic to it and was placed on Wellbutrin, which had the added benefit of helping me to quit smoking. However, in late 1998, I read an article about an experiment using Celtic Sea Salt. I do not have the original article today, but I recall that prisoners, especially violent prisoners, were given Celtic Sea Salt without their knowing it and without the guards being informed either. Since violent prisoners are split up in these large institutions, there was in another cell block a control group that was kept on regular table salt. Guards daily have a lot of paperwork. They have to report "incidents," fill in queries, and report on events. Within less than a month, reports coming from the cell block getting the Celtic Sea Salt showed that incidents were down and behaviors were significantly improved. Significant simply means that the changes were not due to "coincidence." The salt had had an effect.

Celtic Sea Salt contains natural Lithium salts. At one point in my care, my psychiatrist recommended Lithium. I've seen what people look like on Lithium; very reminiscent of my early drug days in the sixties. I refused the drug, but told my psychiatrist I'd get some naturally. So now, Celtic Sea Salt is the only salt I'll use and I use it on everything.

Posted by: juve ()
Date: August 26, 2006 06:17AM

i especially like Dave Masons reply.

im not qualified to tell you your meds should go, but it seems like a good goal, as your goal is obviously to become healthier and healthier!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 26, 2006 06:40AM

Go off your meds gradually as you see fit.

Or stay on them but be aware of their effects.

I was on psych drugs for much of my life. I've been off completely for about four years now and feel much better. If/when you go off do it very consciously.

Good luck. smiling smiley

Date: August 27, 2006 03:10AM

It's hard enough for a psych patient to stay on their meds without "friends" like you all. I don't know about spookypumpkin3, but going off your meds can be life threatening for some people and is not something to be taken lightly. S/he never said s/he wanted to be off the meds, but rather could s/he be raw while taking them.

Posted by: Suzie ()
Date: August 27, 2006 03:30AM

It's my impression that spookypumpkin3 "implied" that he/she would like to be off the meds when he/she said "I really want to purify myself all the way but the doctor insists that I keep taking my pills."

Hence the excellent advice given by some VERY intelligent people that posted afterwards about weaning off the meds slowly and consciously as a potential future goal.

Posted by: innervegetable ()
Date: August 27, 2006 05:57AM

the rawer & healthier you become the more sensitive you will become [to pharma drugs] in addition to being potentially dangerous to stop the medication "cold turkey" it is also potentially dangerous to take pharma drugs after being raw for some time.

I agree with dave mason etc... about transitioning raw (with meds) and slowly wane the drugs when you feel you are healthy enough to do so safely.

Posted by: humbug ()
Date: August 27, 2006 05:01PM

What about omega 3, I've heard this can be good for bipolar etc? Any advice on particular capsules to take?

Actually this is something that worries me slightly about raw food. I think fish contains omega 3, but on the raw food/vegan diet I can't eat it. AS I write, my family are tucking into fresh mackerel downstairs. What else contains omega 3?

Dawn

Date: August 27, 2006 05:20PM

Hi Dawn,

If you can get it or grow it, purslane is considered a good source of Omega 3's.

Cheers,

LTF

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: August 27, 2006 09:53PM

I take Flax oil for Omega 3.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables