Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
raw vegan blood tests!!!
Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: June 30, 2010 05:38AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw vegan blood tests!!!
Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: June 30, 2010 02:35PM

Great videos! A little dishartening to see the negative comments on the youtube thread. Kudos to you for actually going out and getting a blood test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 02:45PM by WorkoutMan.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: June 30, 2010 04:29PM

Good stuff! Thanks for the link.

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: June 30, 2010 05:47PM

WorkoutMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great videos! A little dishartening to see the
> negative comments on the youtube thread. Kudos to
> you for actually going out and getting a blood
> test.

Yeah...there will be haters no matter what you do. Usually people that either are scared of trying something or know you are right but would rather hate than admit they are wrong.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 01, 2010 07:02PM

I am so impressed with the b12 figures. What are they again? and what is the base number that is recommended? I can't watch video on this computer.

Date: July 02, 2010 11:26AM

1450 was my level in that test.

The minimum cut off is 120 in Australia and 550 in Japan.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 03, 2010 11:25PM

i seen some of the comments on your vid, your forgetting one thing durian, no one is saying meat eaters cant suffer b12 deficiency, its just when they do it will always be down to an issue with absorption(lack of intrinsic factor etc) or some other condition going on rather than a lack of b12 in there diet.

where as with vegans when anemia/b12 deficiency occurs 9/10 its due to lack of dietary b12 rather than some absorption issue going on.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: July 04, 2010 06:22AM

Re the impressive B12 figures, I'm sure dr won't mind my pointing out that he does supplement with B12 shots.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 04, 2010 07:50AM

shots? wow... I didnt even know you could get it in shots, im starting a pill supplement when it gets in in a few days...

Date: July 04, 2010 10:51AM

sublingual b12 is the best pill wise, but yeah IV is great.

out of interest im sure it was yourself so forgive me if im wrong, but i remember you saying that b12 deficiency can only happen if you have absorption issues etc, which isnt true simply not intaking any dietary b12 can obviously aswell, so why the need for b12 shots. again forgive me if this wasnt you im sure it was though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2010 10:55AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 04, 2010 01:55PM

We all have "absorption issues", that's just the nature of digestion. Lots goes in but relatively little is actually used by the body. Inefficient digestion, sluggish system, inadequate mastication, improper food combining, excessive portions, stress, etc etc etc. Working on refining the system wholistically is a good step in the right direction but risking a B12 deficiency in the meantime I don't believe to be wise. I take a supplement. I take a multi these days too, EFA's and iron while I'm at it (I would regardless of diet). I'm nearing 40 and my body is naturally slowing down, I figure it can use the help...

Date: July 04, 2010 02:13PM

what kind of iron do you take, as supplementing with iron when not low isnt a good idea the body naturally withholds iron from cancer cells.

i was more meaning b12 specific absorption issues that were talked about such as lack of intrinsic factor.

Date: July 04, 2010 04:31PM

I've had low iron all my life, my littlest sister is the same (we are both O-neg, I'm not sure if that's the common connection) regardless of diet, raw or cooked, eating tons of beets and spinach or even red meat has not had as effect on either of us. I take a vegetarian iron supplement formulated specifically for women which also has C, B12, foic acid, alfalfa, nettles, yellow dock and dandelion root. It's good, my iron levels are still lowish but not so low that I'm dragging my butt yawning and fuzzy headed.

Date: July 04, 2010 04:47PM

sounds like a nice supp im very fond of nettles, alfalfa, watercress, dandelion etc.

Date: July 05, 2010 01:12AM

I got my latest bloods back from June. I havent taken an Iron supp as a vegan but needed to do so as an animal eater. My serum iron is 28. Its almost too high according to the Australian standards..

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: July 05, 2010 04:52AM

I had blood testing done about two weeks ago and got the results today. FYI, I have been eating raw for about a year now.

I was low (below normal range) on two things: iron and globulin.
Both were close to normal, so that's not a worry, I was told.

I was fine on B12 and Vitamin D, which are what I was really checking on.

I was told to not drink tea and coffee, which I don't, and to get more Vitamin C to help iron absorption. I'm certain that I get loads of Vitamin C. Maybe I just need to eat foods higher in iron?

Any ideas on increasing globulin?

My favorite raw vegan

Date: July 05, 2010 05:04AM

Low Iron is common in people that dont eat enough calories from fruit and or eat too much calorie from fat (over 10% of total calories for the season).

I wouldnt be concerned about low globulin. If it stays very low for a year then yes, it may require further testing.

If you have enough energy to go run a marathon with no caffiene, then your doing fine!

Date: July 05, 2010 05:11AM

I am a fruit fiend! And have been. Just read my posts. I have been eating low fat for most of the year. I exercise by hiking about an hour a day. Maybe there is something else?

My favorite raw vegan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2010 05:17AM by Trive.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 05, 2010 11:30AM

Trive,

Are you eating enough leafy greens by volume? The thing they told you about Vit C[you may already know this] is that it binds iron for uptake if they are consumed together, which is why Mediterranean cultures never serve greens without lemon or orange juice mixed in. Some good sources of iron are: beets, seaweeds, dark dried fruits, and leafy herbs. Hope you figure this out soon : )

Date: July 05, 2010 01:10PM

Durianrider- do you get B12 shots?

Date: July 05, 2010 05:02PM

Tamukha, I suspect that I do need more greens. My diet has been mostly fruit and I feel great, but became concerned that I might be malnourished in some way when my hair started thinning. That's why I had the blood tests done, to see if I had a deficiency somewhere.

I didn't know to eat greens with citrus. I assumed that eating them at different times was fine. I had just been eating citrus for variety, not to aid iron absorption. Now, I'll try more greens and with citrus juice as dressing.

I've just started eating seaweed about a week ago and will add dark dried fruits. Although I'm not attracted to raw beets, that may be a good reason to get a juicer. Beet juice and orange juice combined - yum! smiling smiley

So far, I haven't yet found any specific dietary suggestions for correcting globulin levels. Maybe what I do to take care of the iron thing will bring my globulin levels into normal range too. I hope so because I'd prefer to avoid non-vegan options. Heavy protein and fat make me have acid reflux symptoms and I don't want to go back down that route.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: July 05, 2010 05:40PM

Spinach smoothie with OJ or pineapple all the time, that's breakfast. Beets are great in the pickler, oh YUM! Have to eat more kale but I don't love it. In the smoothie maybe? Parley juice is terrific, that's easy to have with orange juice. I could just have smoothies and juice every day all day long in this heat. If someone else would make them and clean up after that is tongue sticking out smiley.

Date: July 05, 2010 06:26PM

the acid reflux is likely down to low stomach acid, look into bitter herbs/digestive bitters if you need to digest heavier foods.

Date: July 05, 2010 08:37PM

Thanks for your suggestions, coco and powerlifter. I am GOING to figure this out!

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 06, 2010 02:46AM

I love kale in smoothies with various berries, pineapple, and banana, or at least 2 of those with the kale, also in carrot and OJ smoothies... I cant stand it by itself... but a smoothie just doesnt seem right anymore without kale in it... tried collards in a smoothie, didnt work out to well,lol...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: July 06, 2010 04:14AM

I thought B12 shots were IM. I know that when I was lifting and I was on the lifting boards many of them had anabolic sections and I would read them from time to time and the guys would often inject B12 as an appetite booster and also they used it to cut other anabolics.

powerlifer Wrote:
> sublingual b12 is the best pill wise, but yeah IV
> is great.
>
> out of interest im sure it was yourself so forgive
> me if im wrong, but i remember you saying that b12
> deficiency can only happen if you have absorption
> issues etc, which isnt true simply not intaking
> any dietary b12 can obviously aswell, so why the
> need for b12 shots. again forgive me if this wasnt
> you im sure it was though.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 06, 2010 12:56PM

Hi trive,
Sorry to hear about your iron problem. Greens are a great suggestion, black kale I believe is especially rich in iron and other nutrients. Your healthy overall? Probably more than the average person? In your area? Not that comparisions are really fair or necessary!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 06, 2010 06:42PM

WorkoutMan Wrote:
> Durianrider- do you get B12 shots?

He has stipulated this on Goneraw.com

[www.goneraw.com]

Date: July 06, 2010 07:34PM

Thanks Paul

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 06, 2010 08:20PM

I don't think Freelea gets shots?

I have been vegan almost 9 years and don't get shots; I take a sublingual as is recommended for everyone, omni, veggie, vegan.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables