Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I bought sprouted tofu yesterday at Whole Foods.
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 12, 2010 11:47PM

Never heard of this kind of thing, never had it before. On the package it said something like "try the living difference" but the word 'raw' was not on it. I contacted the company (wild wood foods) and haven't heard from them yet. Does anyone know about how tofu is created? It's sometimes called 'soy cheese, ' which implies fermented and raw. So it's a bit intriguing to imagine that there could be such a thing as sprouted tofu that is raw. It had the texture of fresh tofu that had previously been frozen (little holes throughout). But on the package it said it was easily digested and I found it very good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I bought sprouted tofu yesterday at Whole Foods.
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 13, 2010 12:05AM

I've heard of people making raw tofu out of sprouted soybeans. I have to wonder if the fermentation process or whatever is used to curdle the soybean paste gets rid of the toxins/anti-nutrients in soy.

Date: July 13, 2010 12:19AM

Prana, I hope this company gets back to me so I can report to you guys whether it's truly raw. I know that other fermented soy like tempeh is supposed to be better because the fermentation gets rid of the bad stuff. However, I wasn't aware that tofu was curdled. I thought they coagulated it to make it firm and that they used magnesium chloride, etc. to do so, but I really am pretty much in the dark about the whole thing. Just thought I'd share a potential raw product. I want to get away from soy, actually, but in the meantime it's a nice high protein food source. Oh, and it's organic.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 13, 2010 12:26AM

I was going to say something negative about Soy, but Prana
mentioned Raw Tofu, so it may not be all bad.
I remember when Soy became popular. It was like a Craze. I've never tried
it.....WY

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: July 13, 2010 12:33AM

> I remember when Soy became popular. It was like a
> Craze. I've never tried
> it.....WY

Then the following generations had "thyroid problems". Thanks Mom for feeding me soy formula and killing my thyroid.

Sorry.. no comment on the original topic.

Date: July 13, 2010 12:37AM

BackAgain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > I remember when Soy became popular. It was like
> a
> > Craze. I've never tried
> > it.....WY
>
> Then the following generations had "thyroid
> problems". Thanks Mom for feeding me soy formula
> and killing my thyroid.
>
>
> Sorry.. no comment on the original topic.

LOL- I can read between the lines! But seriously, I hear you. I am wondering, though, if sprouting soy makes it a healthier food item. As long as you eat it just occasionally and cut out all the other sources of soy. I eat way too much of the stuff.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 13, 2010 12:50AM

I highly doubt it's raw.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: July 13, 2010 12:55AM

Even is it is raw, it is not going to be such a healthful option. If eating a raw tofu allows someone to move away from meat, then yes, I say go for it. But eating fresh fruits and salads is a healthier and more nutritious option.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables