Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Gogi berries? Grow your own!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 14, 2010 01:30PM

Check out this step-by-step blog post on germinating gogi berry seeds from the dried berries you're eating. She says it's EASY! Apparently they'll grow anywhere that has a winter, who knew?!

[chickensintheroad.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gogi berries? Grow your own!
Date: July 14, 2010 02:47PM

I had 2 goji berry plants given to me a few years ago. They've never grown any bigger, despite repotting/plant feed, and after the snow back in January, they both lost all their leaves.

The leaves came back, but the smaller of the plants suddenly lost its leaves again for no obvious reason and they haven't grown back. I don't think the plant is completely dead. It just looks like a thick stick with a slightly spongey texture. The other one still has leaves, but looks a little bare compared to pictures I've seen on the internet.

I'm either a really naff gardener or goji berry plants aren't as easy to look after as people like to suggest!

Great article though! It's easy to forget how easy it is to grow seeds from stuff we eat rather than paying for them! They're supposed to take a few years to fruit.

Can you imagine the onslaught of hungry birds you'd get grinning smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 14, 2010 02:59PM

I put seed out on the porch daily, I sure can imagine the onslaught! "eat like a bird" has never made any sense to me, they eat their own weight in food every day!

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: July 14, 2010 04:46PM

I was thinking about adding some gojis to my berry patch, but in reading up on them they seem to be fickle. When they like where they are, they do grow easily. But, more often there is a looong adjustment period (sometimes years) where they either barely grow or lose their leaves and come back and lose them again. I thought getting a started plant would help, but from the comments many people have, the experience seems to be the same as starting from seed.

It's neat that you can do that from the grocery store seeds. I never considered doing that because so many times the commercial species don't do well under home conditions. But, that would be a big money saver.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables