Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Raw Workouts & Athletes, Strength and/or Endurance
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 22, 2010 08:56PM

This thread shows me injuries suck bigtimes especially for those athletes and those addicted to working out.

Im currently suffering from IT band syndrome(nightmare) and wrist tendonitis(equally as annoying).

Mass dosed chia seeds though are taking away alot of my wrist tendonitis pain gladfullysmiling smiley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 22, 2010 08:57PM

Dude, gladfully isn't even a word.

I like it though winking smiley grinning smiley.

Date: July 22, 2010 09:25PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dude, gladfully isn't even a word.
>
> I like it though winking smiley grinning smiley.

coco i like my made up words haha.smiling smiley

Posted by: Nubster ()
Date: July 23, 2010 08:36AM

I am actually happier not that I am not as massive. My mobility has improved and I find that my general fitness has improved. Even though I weigh more then I did when I was lifting, during that period of my life I was so muscle bound that I found it difficult to do a lot of everyday things.

But I hear ya too about taking it easy...I know I will never bench 400+ again and I am finally ok with that. I may or may not take up lifting weights again someday and if I do it will be with fitness and muscle toning in mind...not pure mass and strength.

coco Wrote:
> That's the shoulder injury my ER doc friend just
> had surgery to repair, he wrecked it twice before
> he finally went under the knife too. The man is
> BUSY, crazy emerg shifts, runs his own farm, works
> out tons. You can do it Nubster, just don't Over
> do it. He'll never be as big as when he as mr teen
> muscle something or other in his youth but he's
> not a puny man now. You might just have to be
> happy with a less massive you.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: July 23, 2010 11:49AM

powerlifer - ITband problems are a flaming nuisance aren't they. I now find that if I get a sports massage once a month it stops things getting out of hand - prevention you could say.

The woman that I see rubs the muscles with hot rocks and it is absolutely amazing. It allows the muscles to relax and she can get in deeper with less pain and trauma to the muscles. But for ITband - well you just have to get them massaged away - take a stick in with you to bite on smiling smiley

Once they are sorted I have found that a regular massage keeps them in good shape and the rest of my muscles too. Now I am marathon training I am having a massage once every 3 weeks and if I can afford it will go to fortnightly as the race draws near.

Sorry to be slightly off topic everyone but just back from my fabulous massage, feeling good and identifying with powerlifer's IT band situation!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2010 11:50AM by flipperjan.

Date: July 23, 2010 12:14PM

ahh nice one ive never had a sports massage before so im going to look into thatsmiling smiley.

I might get a foam roller also heard there good, minus stretching the surrounding muscles there isnt much else we can do really. I feel its my glute muscles which are causing the tightness.

Cheers for the tip.

Date: July 23, 2010 02:01PM

There's only so much you can do with a foam roller on your own. I do have one but shy away from causing myself pain with it!!!!!

A good sports massage therapist will identify what's causing your ITband tightness - it could well be tight glutes or something else entirely. (make sure you find a really competant therapist - like everything else there are a lot of charlatans out there)

Glad I could help and good luck with it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 23, 2010 03:20PM

Have you ever heard of a mah roller? I have one and it's amazing. Check it out, it's a wooden bar you lay on, it works on the muscles beside the spine and it's intense.

Date: July 28, 2010 04:57PM

I agree that massage can be almost a miracle for pain relief. I don't have IT band issues but I do have a really bad lower back. Much of my pain comes from extremely tight glutes and hamstrings. Add the fact that I had to wear a 25 pound gun belt around my hips for 11 hours a day and you can imagine...I had knots and lumps in the muscles in my back and hips and the only thing that ever made it better was the weekly 1.5 hours massage I would get.

Date: July 28, 2010 05:12PM

I know for a fact that most runners don't stretch enough and I include myself in that big time. It's probably the same for people engaging in other sports as well. I bet most lifters don't stretch enough.

I keep meaning to join a yoga or pilates class as the perfect antidote to running.

Running just tightens you up so much. I used to be really supple before I took up running - not so any more although I'm glad to say I can still touch my toes - well the floor, with hands flat on the floor smiling smiley

Date: July 29, 2010 06:40AM

In powerlifting the athletes limit stretching as much as possible. The shorter compact muscle generates more power. Warming up is extremely important though.

Date: July 29, 2010 07:57AM

Interesting Nubster. I bet that leaves them with problems in the long term

Date: July 29, 2010 08:35PM

Yeah...I believe it does as well. Common powerlifter injuries are torn muscles and tendons and even detached muscles, especially the pectoralis major. I also believe that lifting using that methodology contributed to my shoulder injury even a couple years after I stopped lifting weights.

flipperjan Wrote:
> Interesting Nubster. I bet that leaves them with
> problems in the long term

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables