Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw rose hips?
Date: July 23, 2010 10:53AM

I've never eaten a rosehip but have loads in my garden... can they be eaten raw, or juiced maybe? All the recipes on the internet are cooked and sugar-based (maybe they're really tart or something?).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw rose hips?
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: July 23, 2010 11:54AM

More like bland or woody, IMO but rose hips can be beautiful and edible. Rosa Rugosa is the variety used here for jam. I'll pluck a few in autumn when they get very ripe though I don't have any of my own, they grow wild. [www.paghat.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 23, 2010 03:22PM

You can dry and crush them for sun tea, or rehydrate and add the liquid to soothies maybe. They're really high in vitamin c, terrific for a winter supplement.

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: July 23, 2010 03:31PM

I remember eating rose hips from our garden as a child.

Date: July 23, 2010 03:45PM

Yay!

The ones in my garden look like this:

Are all varieties edible? I read on some site that you should remove all seeds or the little tiny hairs on them give you an itchy bum! (not sure if it's true or not but given how spiky the plant is, I wouldn't be surprised!).

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 24, 2010 01:59AM

The ones in my old garden where all quite tart, And I lived to dry them, then cut them into quarters and make tea... im sure juicing them would probably work well, and be more palatable than any other raw way of consuming them...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables