Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Protein Question
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 26, 2010 08:11PM

Hello All Who Read This Post and Thank You For Your Response!

I need advice on a good source of protein if I opt NOT to consume "cooked" meats...i.e., poultry and fish. I have tried before and physically paid a price for it. Also, would like to know abt portion size. What is the equivilant portion of beans to what my fish was giving me? Maybe there is a link?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Protein Question
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: July 26, 2010 09:49PM

You can try [nutritiondata.self.com]

After registering, enter a food and food category in the top right corner. Choose from the given list. When you get the charts for the food you chose, notice the serving size option in the upper left of the page. Reset for ounces or whatever you can use to compare each food. Scroll down the page until you get the to the protein chart, and check the grams there.

It looks to me like an ounce of most beans will give you about half or less protein than an ounce of most fish.

An ounce of pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds will give you the same or more protein than an ounce of most fish.

Basically, protein deficiency hasn't been much of an issue for vegans. Sometimes vegans can have issues with mineral deficiencies or B12 deficiencies. An appropriate amount of nuts/seeds/greens/vegetables can provide all the necessary minerals. B12 can be taken as a supplement.

If you have trouble reading or interpreting the nutrition charts, you might consider visiting a registered dietitian (preferably vegan).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 26, 2010 10:29PM

Thank U!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 27, 2010 12:02AM

You don't need a "source of protein." You need whole foods, like fruits and vegetables, which have amino acids, minerals, vitamins, and good fats. get enough calories = get enough protein. I doubt your cooked fish had much useable protein, so I couldn't compare it to a raw food, which has useable amino acids.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: July 27, 2010 10:47AM

Greens are sometimes said to be a good source of protein (or amino acids) though it would take a large quantity to get the DV of protein. For example I checked and it would take 50 cups of spinach (about 5 bunches) to get my DV of protein. Of course I'd still be short on calories but with a good size bag of dates or tall glass of sugar cane juice I'd be calorie and protein sufficient.

-not that I would ever eat this way, but just as an excercise in quantities.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 02, 2010 08:10PM

Beans are not a complete source of amino acids, you would need to combine them with a grain say quinoa to become complete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2010 08:10PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: August 02, 2010 11:22PM

All those foods that were declared an incomplete protein based on experiments with rats are in fact complete proteins for humans. So things like corn and wheat, which where once considered incomplete and partially incomplete proteins, are in fact complete for humans.

I learned about proteins at Rick Dina's protein lecture at the Raw Health Expo last weekend. There are only a few whole foods that don't have enough protein if you ate enough of them to meet your energy needs: 1)macadamias, and 2) millet. But all the other grains, seeds, nuts, fruits, and vegetables do have complete proteins.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 03, 2010 12:17AM

Right--protein combining has been discarded even by a main proponent, Frances Moore Lappé. Focus on amino acids, found in all raw foods. Eat a large variety, and sprouted foods when possible, and that should help. Oh, and nuts, they're higher in fat than protein, so I wouldn't binge on those smiling smiley

Posted by: RaysofLight ()
Date: August 03, 2010 07:11PM

This may answer most questions concerning the great protein myth:
[www.livingfoodvillage.com]
Here's to YOUR HEALTH! grinning smiley

Date: August 03, 2010 09:38PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beans are not a complete source of amino acids,
> you would need to combine them with a grain say
> quinoa to become complete.
That's not all true. You may simply need more greens or sprouts. You body has the ability to make up amino acids to complete a protein.

Date: August 03, 2010 09:41PM

loeve Wrote:
> Greens are sometimes said to be a good source of
> protein (or amino acids) though it would take a
> large quantity to get the DV of protein. For
> example I checked and it would take 50 cups of
> spinach (about 5 bunches) to get my DV of protein.
> Of course I'd still be short on calories but with
> a good size bag of dates or tall glass of sugar
> cane juice I'd be calorie and protein sufficient.
>
> -not that I would ever eat this way, but just as
> an excercise in quantities.

That's not all true, alfalfa sprouts alone would get you most of what was necessary....
a 150 pound person would require about 2.11 ounces of protein per day. This is extremely low and as you can see you can easily meet this requirement with any variety of plant based foods. Part of the reason the requirement is so low is that we efficiently recycle between 100 to 300 grams of our own protein every day. This helps build new protein by breaking down the amino acids we eat and synthesize every day.

Date: August 03, 2010 09:41PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
> You don't need a "source of protein." You need
> whole foods, like fruits and vegetables, which
> have amino acids, minerals, vitamins, and good
> fats. get enough calories = get enough protein.
> I doubt your cooked fish had much useable protein,
> so I couldn't compare it to a raw food, which has
> useable amino acids.

YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY! grinning smiley

Date: August 03, 2010 09:45PM

Great site, but you must be sure to enter "raw"-otherwise, you get information on cooked food.
(Protein Myth)

(Salad for LIFE! Ingredients)

(Salad for LIFE! Program-lose weight and gain health)

(Nutritional Facts-taken from above mentioned site)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2010 09:57PM by RaysofLight.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: August 06, 2010 05:38AM

Yeah Im getting way enough protein from fruits and veg that I am currently racing A grade on the road bike and ran 2 full marathons and finished my 8th solo 24hr xc race in the last month.. smiling smiley

What about weight lifting? What about www.veganbodybuilding.com

Its a medically documented fact that all plant foods contain all 8 essential amino acids.

A nutritionist recently told me I wasnt eating any protein on my diet..I said 'How about we put down 10 000$ on that claim then..' I showed her my daily intake on cronometer and her jaw almost dropped..'but they told me that fruit has zero protein!!'

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2010 05:39AM by durianrider.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables