Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raisens/dried fruit yay or nay?
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: July 27, 2010 05:14PM

are raisens/sultanas good?

I find them an excellent provider of natural sugar. They give me that warm, fuzzy feeling, like full, not hungry. I suppose grounding is the word.

Eating greens makes me feel spaced, eating raisens sort of brings me back down, very energising.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raisens/dried fruit yay or nay?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: July 27, 2010 08:01PM

no, it's missing a vital nutrient - water.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 27, 2010 09:23PM

Water isn't a nutrient, per se, but it is vital. However, there is no biological reason why your body couldn't process water consumed after raisins or other dried fruit(not at the same time; your stomach acid shouldn't be diluted). If you feel good after eating dried fruit, then do so. It is odd, though, what you say about dried fruit being "grounding" because one often hears that greens are "grounding." Greens do provide minerals and other nutrients that dried fruit do not, so you cannot substitute dried fruit for greens.

Date: July 27, 2010 09:35PM

actually, dried fruit can never be rehydrated to its original state.....

Date: July 28, 2010 01:15AM

I guess what I am advising is that, since dried fruit won't kill her, it's unlikely that she'll develop clinical dehydration on it, and her body seems to like it, it's OK for the op to eat it if she wants.

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: July 28, 2010 07:09AM

Im male actually!

utopian life, are you suggesting any food which doesnt contain water is no good?
how about nuts? a raisen surely has more moisture than a nut.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: July 28, 2010 11:26AM

Raisins, sultanas and infact all dried fruit are absolutely fine. It should be eaten sparingly as an extra not as a main constituent of a meal IMHO. You do need to clean your teeth well though as dried fruit is very sticky!!

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: July 28, 2010 12:02PM

There's nothing wrong with eating dried fruits like raisins as long as they do not form the bulk of your calories. As Utopian Life mentioned, the water has been removed, making dried fruits a refined food. Look to fresh, whole fruit for the majority of your intake instead.

Swayze
www.fitonraw.com

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Date: July 28, 2010 12:24PM

I don't think nuts/dried fruits/anything else with water content removed should be eaten in bulk or viewed as a health food or constitute the majority of your calories (which would be pretty easy because one is high in fat and one is concentrated sugars).

Date: July 28, 2010 01:03PM

WanderRA,

Um, sorry about that, sir. I was unconsciously reading your name with the "A" at the end as a "feminine" ending. Blame my Romance Languages instruction smiling smiley

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: July 28, 2010 01:13PM

Im gonna have to agree with Utopian Life in this debate. Dehydrated foods have never felt healthy to my body. They force you to drink more non-organic water, they're bad for the teeth and they are stimulating to the body. I feel dried foods should be eaten only in considerable moderation. In fact Id rater eat cooked hydrated food (fruits and veg) than raw dried foods.

That being said, we're talking about the healthiest of the dried foods, raw fruit and nuts.

Date: July 28, 2010 01:19PM

I don't want someone to think I'm debating them. I just see it as giving my opinion. smiling smiley

I agree that the best choice for dried foods would be no-sugar-added fruit and certain nuts/seeds.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: July 29, 2010 01:32PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't want someone to think I'm debating them.
> I just see it as giving my opinion. smiling smiley
>
> I agree that the best choice for dried foods would
> be no-sugar-added fruit and certain nuts/seeds.

My mistake

Posted by: rab ()
Date: July 29, 2010 02:19PM

Well, a lot of raw food discussion here is about people who have enough money and who live in a Western world countries. I think that for people who live in colder climates and cannot afford to buy fruit throughout the year, dried fruit is the only alternative. People used to do that before, and had traditional techniques to do it. This knowledge is lost, so it would be good to learn these things again.

Raw food is not a complete solution if it does not include poor people all over the world.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 29, 2010 06:17PM

I see no problem if you feel good eating them then do sosmiling smiley, they arent a processed/refined food just because they have the water element taken away.

They still contain a wealth of nutrients, goji berries and such are great.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: July 29, 2010 07:38PM

Doing your own dehydrating let's you know for sure that it's pure, but many commercially dehydrated fruits have preservatives and other additives. sad smiley

Anyone here dehydrate grapes to make their own raisins? Hopefully, the store-bought ones peeps here are getting have raisins as the ONLY ingredient. smiling smiley

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: July 30, 2010 03:21AM

I eat heaps of dried fruit by blending it with water. Dates are a staple of mine when bananas are running low. Last weekend I drank over 120 dates in 36 hours. It was a big weekend!

To live hard, eat hard and eat the best.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: July 30, 2010 06:25AM

I was addicted to those the first time I went raw..was like eating candy. Eck.

No interest in them now.

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: July 31, 2010 01:13PM

Ooh, I love dates too! Particularly the Barhi dates from The Date People. They taste like caramel chews. smiling smiley

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Date: July 31, 2010 01:21PM

Is there different types of dates then and if so which are the best?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 02, 2010 08:30PM

Powerlifer - I live way down in the south west of england - way off the radar!!!
There are many types of dates available to me in the best supermarket ( I can't speak for the others - sorry UK humour )
Occasionally I find 'fresh ' medjool dates - they are unbelievably good - very soft and luscious and have a very short sell by date; few days only, then they get mouldy. All the rest, and there are different varieties, are in differing states of dryness if you get what I mean. The moistest ones always taste the best to me. I can't remember the names of the current dates but if you want to know, pm me, and I will have a look next time I go out and let you know.

The supermarket is Waitrose by the way!!!!

Date: August 02, 2010 08:33PM

Thanks flipperjan, im going to have to look out for them, I dont think we have a waitrose up here in Scotland sadly. Im sad to say ive never tried dates yet minus them being included in foods already.

Cant waitsmiling smiley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables