Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cereals, not natural food.
Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: August 07, 2010 10:41PM

The syndrome of Low Oxygen-Candida-Low Serotonin is a complex interrelationship which points to sedentary families with high carbohydrate intake as being the breeding ground for the systemic depression that perpetuates the sedentary-high carb lifestyle. Cereal and starch induced changes to our leptin metabolism may be one of the leading factors to the chronic low serotonin levels, disturbed glucose homeostasis and insulin resistance found in modern industrial societies, and the consequent out of control eating habits. Primates do not naturally consume cereals, and scientists are now finding that the inclusion of cereal lectins in our human diet may cause leptin resistance.

In the outstanding paper “Agrarian Diet and Diseases of Affluence” scientists from Sweden and Denmark assert that degenerative disease is largely a consequence of the cereal-based diet that humans adopted with the beginnings of agriculture during the Neolithic period, starting around 11 thousand years ago. Prior to that cereals are rare or absent in a non-agrarian, hunter-gatherer diet. The Paleolithic period of 2.6 million to 10, 000 years ago literally gave us the human edge over other hominids, with the development of our large brain.

The global pattern revealed in the varying prevalence of diseases of affluence, such as obesity, cardiovascular disease and diabetes, suggests that a cereal-based diet could be the main causal factor. These scientists concluded that the human leptin system is not specifically adapted to a cereal-based diet. They propose the lectin in cereals causes leptin resistance through disrupted metabolism interfering with the leptin system, and/or directly through binding to human leptin or human leptin receptor.

Leptin is the hormone that regulates our body’s set-point, that is, the weight that our body naturally wants to settle at. As we gain weight fat cells release the hormone leptin which suppresses our appetite and speeds up our metabolism to burn off the fat so that we return to our original weight. Basically, it tells us when to eat and when to stop due to fullness and satiety, and consequently it reduces sugar and food cravings. Leptin Resistance is the key hormone that starts and maintains the vicious cycle of metabolic disturbance. There is a very strong correlation between leptin resistance and low serotonin levels, along with impaired thyroid, exhausted adrenal glands and insulin resistance. This hormonal imbalance describes the metabolic syndrome that underlies the various degenerative disease conditions, including candida and obesity.

The lectins from cereals also cause blood cells to clump thereby blocking the capillaries. In response to a challenge of the gastrointestinal tract such as lectins from soy, wheat and peanut, natural antibodies are produced and the immune system is put on alert. It is ironic that we are told to eat cereal carbohydrates in order to increase our serotonin levels, when it is cereals that are generating such metabolic havoc in the first place. I personally cannot make any definitive conclusions of what we did to our brains through adopting cereals into our diet and how this alters our serotonin and other neurotransmitters and hormones. We can assume however that even thought there is some current hoopla about manufactured fructose being bad for us, humans along with other primates naturally get most of their carbohydrate intake from whole raw fruit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 05:14PM by Prana.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cereals, not natural food.
Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: August 19, 2010 01:26PM

Put someone on a low fat, high carb vegan/raw vegan diet and their oxygen transfer and delivery goes up. Just read any medical journals on the subject.

www.pcrm.org is a great one.

Grains are emergency food, fruit is optimum food.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 19, 2010 02:03PM

I have long suspected cereal grains to be something I shouldnt consume.

Date: August 19, 2010 02:58PM

It is interesting that "food for the masses" does tend to be grains. We are not going to get over the obesity and degenerative disease problem until we address the anthropogenic nature of our digestive system and the foods best suited to it. Thus we see the only real viable land use system is local supply of food grown in the permaculture way. Industrial agriculture is a degenerate form of land use which fuels degenerating populations. God save the Third World from the corporations.

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: August 19, 2010 04:05PM

Great info! You should definitely check out the book Human Diet: Its Origin and Evolution, which talks a lot about the detrimental effects of replacing fruits and veggies (predominantly fruits) with cereal grains.

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 19, 2010 04:05PM

While I agree that cereals aren't necessary for vitality, I would caution against a blanket condemnation of them as a historical food source. Every great civilization thrived on natural unprocesses cereal products. Every single one. Maybe we are biologically evolving away from needing this sort of agriculture in this time . . .

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 19, 2010 04:46PM

Wether or not we should or shouldn't eat grains - the main cause of obesity today is the simply MASSIVE amount of food of all kinds that people shovel in every day whilst taking praticaly no exercise. People are unable to leave their house and walk down the street without topping up on something!!!

Now I'm not saying that we should eat grains just that historically they didn't cause obesity. Why can't scientists see the obvious when they are looking for a reason for obesity.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 19, 2010 05:49PM

Janabanana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> In the outstanding paper “Agrarian Diet and
> Diseases of Affluence” scientists from Sweden
> and Denmark assert that degenerative disease is
> largely a consequence of the cereal-based diet
> that humans adopted with the beginnings of
> agriculture during the Neolithic period, starting
> around 11 thousand years ago. Prior to that
> cereals are rare or absent in a non-agrarian,
> hunter-gatherer diet. The Paleolithic period of
> 2.6 million to 10, 000 years ago literally gave us
> the human edge over other hominids, with the
> development of our large brain.

For those inclined to read the full paper, here is the citation [www.biomedcentral.com].

On your last point, you are claiming that we evolved on meat rather than cereals, so meat is more natural ergo, more favorable to optimal health than cereal on a raw vegan fourm? Maybe I'm missing something here. But this post does not seem appropriate unless I'm missing something. As an aside, how do hundreds of millions of slim rice-eating asians fit with this theory? Just a thought.

Paul

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 05:17PM by Prana.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: August 20, 2010 12:43AM

Tamukha Wrote:
> While I agree that cereals aren't necessary for
> vitality, I would caution against a blanket
> condemnation of them as a historical food source.
> Every great civilization thrived on natural
> unprocesses cereal products. Every single one.
> Maybe we are biologically evolving away from
> needing this sort of agriculture in this time . .
> .

I agree with you. And this evolving away is 2 steps forward and 1 step back. I kind of like cooked grains on a bitterly cold winter day, after coming in from shovelling snow and getting firewood. Raw sprouts won't cut it on days like that!

It is a fact that some people thrive on a diet that includes grains. Maybe not the majority, but some.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 20, 2010 04:38AM

glad somebody said it be4 me horsea,lol, thanks... I love me some oatmeal on a freezing cold day, although I have mixed sprouts seeds and nuts into my oatmeal with a diced apple AFTER cooking is over and things are cooled down abit...dried cranberries are wonderful in it to...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: August 20, 2010 05:03AM

To be honest, I can't imagine what raw sprouts in cooked oatmeal must taste like! What kind of sprouts do you put into your porridge? It is a good balance, isn't it. The cooked and the fresh together.

Date: August 20, 2010 05:09AM

pborst Wrote:

... As an aside, how do hundreds of millions of slim
rice-eating asians fit with this theory? Just a
thought.

Paul

I have read somewhere (I can't recall; was it on this site?) that Japanese, in particular, but Asians in general, are able to do well on a high-rice diet because over the millenia their pancreas has evolved to be larger than that of other ethnic groups. It is (so they say) because of this unique physical development that they can easily handle large quantities of grain carbs compared to other people. FWIW.

Date: August 20, 2010 06:16AM

I have been using sprouted quinoa, and a few times tried out some sprouted almonds which I liked, plus the raw apple makes it lighter and fruitier too, I also tend to use a tad bit of cinnamon, and a non vegan but raw sweetener that people are rather passionate about their dislike of on this board.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 20, 2010 06:24AM

You mean hunny, yah? My dad was a beekeeper for decades and so we learned to not be scared of bees. I have to laugh when I see people panicking and running and flailing and screaming when a poor bee comes near them. Geeeeeeze...

Date: August 20, 2010 07:18AM

yeah, im not scared of bees, yellow jackets however, yeah, im allergic to hornets and wasps, but apparently not to bees...i wish I could trade, bees normally wont sting you without you majorly agitating them first...lol...

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 20, 2010 07:43AM

hornets aren't at all aggressive either and actually are becoming quite rare in places. They just look a bit big and impressive!!

Apparently there are some extremely aggressive honey bees in Africa which have been introduced somewhere in America - i forget the details; it was a long time ago that I watched the program but I know these bees will attack without provocation.

Date: August 20, 2010 04:53PM

Thanks Swayze I'll check out that book.

At the Center for Academic Research and Training in Anthropogeny, at Salk Inst. the codirector Ajit Varki has been researching the importance of cell membrane communication molecules or "glyconutrients" on primate evolution and human disease. (His website is cmm.ucsd.edu/varki/).

Similarly in the last hundred years with the introduction of white flour and white sugar, combined with effects of pesticides and heavy metal load…perhaps the majority of Western populations are prediabetic and precancerous. In responding to this eventuality, we now must realize that cooked cereal grains in particular only add to the decline in our carbohydrate metabolism and create ongoing inflammation, lymphatic congestion and constipation. Not that we have to avoid them entirely, but that for many of us cereals have been relegated to the position of the occasional indulgent luxury. Some of the more indigenous grains like amaranth and quinoa may still be highly viable nutritionally especially when sprouted and eaten raw or in the Essene “sun cooked” method.

Thus when arriving at the ideal diet for ourselves in the present, we have to consider both our personal genetic lineage and species physiogamy and the gastronomic path that homo sapiens took to get here. We also have to take into account our geographic location, weather, season, mobility-exercise level, stress load, available food potential and our personal strength in terms of "physiological adjustment" to the demands of our diet, both in our digestive power, metabolism and degree of detoxification/elimination.

[www.beyondveg.com]

[biologyofkundalini.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2010 05:15PM by Prana.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 20, 2010 05:01PM

Horsea Wrote:
> pborst Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> ... As an aside, how do hundreds of millions of
> slim
> rice-eating asians fit with this theory? Just a
> thought.
>
> Paul
>
> I have read somewhere (I can't recall; was it on
> this site?) that Japanese, in particular, but
> Asians in general, are able to do well on a
> high-rice diet because over the millenia their
> pancreas has evolved to be larger than that of
> other ethnic groups. It is (so they say) because
> of this unique physical development that they can
> easily handle large quantities of grain carbs
> compared to other people. FWIW.

Horsea,

Interesting. I guess it would leave open corn (which really isn' a grain). I think the problem is that the original article really doesn't link obesity to grains per se. The recent obesity epidemic is tied to process foods which could include refined grains, but wouldn't necessarily be limited to them.

Paul

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: August 20, 2010 05:04PM

Cereal not being a natural food isn't really news..

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: August 20, 2010 05:16PM

I've deleted references to meat in these posts. Please do not put them back, or include pro-meat eating posts at this forum, as this forum is vegan oriented.

Date: August 20, 2010 06:05PM

Around 2 million years ago, Homo habilis learned to control fire and the prehistoric hominids developed a social system based on economic cooperative food sharing, where the male hunted, while the female gathered and cooked. Fire also increased our omnivorousness, and adaptability to every ecological niche and widened the range of what we could consume. Cooking resulted in the food processing apparatus of the gut to shrink, and so with less energy used by the gut the brain was able to grow. Fire provided defense against large carnivores, permitting us to move down from the trees and live on the ground leading to the development of long legs and flat feet—ideal for running and hunting. With fire we lost our fur, allowing the quicker dissipation heat so hunters could chase an animal until it collapsed from heat exhaustion. Cooking reduced chewing time from around 5 hours per day to 1 hour, freeing time to hunt. The specialization into cooking by women, and hunting by men trapped women into a subservient role enforced by male-dominated culture in which the “hunting skills” were turned toward “war.” So you could say that the control of fire lead ultimately to a patriarchal culture with modern technological warfare, due in large part to an imbalance of power between the males and females of the species. We have to now ask do these roles, dietary modes, social customs, relationship bargains and economic models still serve us as a species?

Date: August 20, 2010 08:07PM

These roles and customs that you refer to, Jana - if they don't serve us as a species - will have to dissolve in a natural way, though; not through violent government tyranny & cultural marxist forces imposing too-fast changes on entire populations. All of which produces endless misery. Truly beneficial and fundamental change must be bottom-up.

At least in western societies, I don't see any pathological imbalance between males and females. We women are powerful in our own way, and always have been. We just need to be smart enough to see that. It is in nonwestern Moslem societies where at least to our eyes the women seem oppressed, yet some of them are happy in their uncomfortable burkas, etc. I do not want to change them, nor do I want our countries going over there forcing "democracy" down their throats. Any deep changes have to be from within; that is why we are into natural, raw foods instead of stopping our symptoms with drugs. At least I hope so.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2010 08:16PM

Women in western countries are still sold into slavery though. This happens every single day. Women still earn less pay for work of equal value. You are FOOLING yourself if you think there is no longer a disparity between the sexes in our culture. I'm not even going to get into the abuse and misuse of children from their own parents straight down to a publically funded and supported medical establishment to the schooling system. Or racism as a cultural bias. Etc Etc Etc.
Equality is still an ideal that only exist in the minds of a few.

Date: August 20, 2010 10:52PM

I guess that the issue is how you define work of "equal value". Honestly, I don't know if this is doable, to sort it all out.

Someone once said: "You want equality with MEN? What a paltry ambition."

It sounds as if I have said something to make you angry. I agree with what you say about the publicly funded and supprted medical establishment, not to mention education system. I homeschooled mine. I am curious as to what methods you would employ to create a society more to your liking.

My view is that USA & Canada ought to divide up into two countries: the liberals/leftists can have theirs; traditionalists can have theirs. No more fighting as to who gets what or does what or pays for what. Sounds good to me.

I don't consider that I have been "sold into slavery". Did you mean this in a general way or real sex slavery?

Date: August 20, 2010 11:47PM

An interesting study when it comes to the disparity between male and female wages, points out that in the lower income bracket women actually tend to make more and are more likely to get a position over an equally skilled man, due to either favoritism by female employers, or whats MORE common is male employers who find them sexually attractive, and this seems to also be the case with male employers who never try to actually get involved with the employee (keep in mind im talking about minimum wage jobs here...), but its in high paying corporate jobs where men tend to make drastically more than women, they go on to postulate that they believe it may be do to the fact that most people in such environments believe that aggressive behavior makes a person better at their job, so therefor men who are generally perceived as more overtly aggressive, get better pay... Obviously this is still completely wrong,and pay should be based on quality of work actually done, not on perception of a better ability to do a job... and until that perception of aggressive behavior= better at job changes in corporate america, we will unfortunately still have this problem for a long time since women tend to be more covert in their aggressive behaviors, and face social stigma for being overt with them.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2010 12:24AM

Horsea, my appoligies. I am a little freaked out by some recent reading.
[www.guardian.co.uk]
[www.thenation.com]
[www.guardian.co.uk]
[www.post-gazette.com]
[www.time.com]
[www.care2.com]

I should stay off that feminst website for a while. It's making me very sad.

Date: August 21, 2010 12:42AM

yeah, its pretty horrible and sad stuff, there are some cool charities that help remove women from those situations as well, and help them to start businesses and support themselves, I had a number of links for those charities, I'll look them up again.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: rab ()
Date: April 16, 2011 01:50AM

I just try to eat what chimps eat. Everything else is too complicated.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: April 17, 2011 12:31AM

It seems to me that a lot depends on the individual person. With that in mind, we may be doing a disservice to our raw food and high-raw food friends when we tell them they shouldn't eat this or that kine raw food.

I personally do best on lots of fruits and some nuts/seeds. I never have a problem mixing them. I eat them together almost every day, and I rarely sprout anything.

Greens almost always give me gas, and cause all kinds of other problems too, if I eat them more than once or twice a week.

Sprouted grains are OK for me, but I don't usually have a desire to eat them. I had some raw wheat germ in my salad this week, and really enjoyed it after not having it for months. Hits the spot sometimes.

Now, suppose I told everyone not to eat greens more than once or twice a week, just because greens make ME feel bad. That wouldn't go off very well with all the people who eat lots of greens.

On the other hand, if someone hasn't tried eating the way I eat, and if they have access to plenty of fruit and a few nuts/seeds, then maybe give it a try and see how it is!

If I really had to choose one of the two current trends of either fruit restriction or nuts/seeds restriction, then that would be unfortunate, because I know from plenty of past experience that I couldn't do either one and feel this good.

Thank goodness none of us really has to make that choice, unless we want to.

(Could it be that the inclination to restrict our human raw diet is left over from the years of cooked food that taught us the necessity of restriction? Other raw food animals do just fine without weighing or counting or turning down any food that tastes and feels good to them. There's absolutely zero evidence that any particular raw vegan food was meant for some other primate, but not meant for us)

Now for the nun joke (my friend just called and told me):

The nuns at a monastery had taken a vow of silence, but the nuns took turns speaking one sentence every year.

So, one year, Sister Melanie said, "I never liked this porridge".

...The next year, Sister Sarah said, "I like this porridge".

...A year later, Sister Jane said, "Stop all this bickering!".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2011 12:41AM by suncloud.

Date: April 17, 2011 02:30AM

hehehe ^_^

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables