Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

calcium
Posted by: Want2know ()
Date: August 12, 2010 07:44PM

where do you get calcium from mainly?
is it green juices.. and what veg is needed to make up for daily calcium requirement? and also how much of green juice is needed?
thanks for your answer!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: calcium
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 12, 2010 10:02PM

Leafy greens have quite a bit of calcium, as do some nuts and seeds(almonds, sesame; very high, that one) and various herbs. The amount varies from person to person--try plugging some amounts into nutridiary.com and seeing how they stack up.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: August 12, 2010 10:08PM

papaya and oranges are pretty good as far as fruits are concerned, as well!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 13, 2010 07:47PM

For many years, I got most of my calcium from whole brown sesame seeds. But now, I often replace the sesame seeds with blended chia (soaked first, about 1/2 hour). Chia has nearly as much calcium as sesame, less fat, and is the best plant source for omega-3 fatty acids.

Chia also has boron, which, according to the following website, "acts as catalyst for the absorption and utilization of the calcium by the body. "[nutritionkey.wordpress.com]

As WorkoutMan says, oranges are a good source of calcium.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: August 14, 2010 06:35AM

Hi Want2Know

I hope you'll find this article of help:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 14, 2010 01:14PM

Every single thing I eat!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 14, 2010 03:23PM

chia is a good source of calcium like has been said, i mainly try to get mine from green leafy vegetables and some nuts.

Posted by: Want2know ()
Date: August 14, 2010 03:25PM

thank you debbie, yes that was helpful to me.smiling smiley

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 16, 2010 01:22AM

I've heard that unhulled sesame seeds contain lots of oxalic acid that binds up the calcium and makes it unasorbable like spinach. Does anyone know if that is true?

Paul

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: August 16, 2010 06:11PM

I thought that most people on a 'sad' diet get excessive amounts of calcium, but at the same time are deficient! There was some commentary about this in one of Gabriel Cousens books. It had to do with the ratio of calcium to magnesium not being right in non-vegan diets. And also the ratio of calcium to phosphorus. Also the ph, and boron.

Posted by: meganbubbs ()
Date: August 18, 2010 12:02AM

Took 4yr old daughter to Dr. today for her Kindergarten physical, he said she needs more calcium, and vit D. He recommended orange juice with the cal & D added. Anyone have any ideas for adding whole foods into her diet that would be good for a childs palate? She's getting into salads but I'm not sure she would eat enough to get what she requires.

Does anyone know if halva is made with hulled sesame?

Thanks!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 18, 2010 01:56AM

most of the calcium in the hulls are in the form of calcium oxalate. [www.whfoods.com]. Sesame seeds can still be an important part a total daily requirement.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables