Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Morning meal, fat intake, etc.
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 21, 2010 01:37AM

As I get ready to start my raw food journey (at least for a trial period at first), I am visualizing how it will feel to just eat fruit in the morning. I can and have done so, but I also think that I need a bit of fat to stabilize the sugar intake. Do any of you who make green smoothies use nut mylk as the base? What about avocado? I think it would be a more substantial start of the day. Another question I have is regarding raw plant fat intake. I don't see what the big deal is. If it's not cooked fat, I think the body is able to deal with it efficiently. Coconut and flax oils are said to actually increase fat metabolism!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Morning meal, fat intake, etc.
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 21, 2010 01:41AM

actually, and probably half the people here will kill me for saying it, I eat a small handful or two of nuts, usually tops out at no higher than 2 oz, then I drink some green/carrot juice, then if I have it and im still hungry I eat some fruit, before I got my juicer I just did a green smoothie, and usually ate 1 oz or less of the nuts first, Ive found I digest both green smoothies and juice more, uh, thoroughly if I have a small amount of natural fats be4 hand, but that could be just me, and Ive found fruit also digests better for me this way as well, but we are all different, and I dont seem to be the norm in this regard on here...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: August 21, 2010 01:50AM

I think you have something there. I have heard it advised that nuts go well with greens. I enjoy eating fruit first thing. I actually try to eat them on an empty stomach to avoid fermentation. Melon is a biggie! Cantalope is the worst one. I mixed cottage cheese with cantalope last year and it was the last time I did. You double up! And it takes less than half an hour to digest most fruits so it's worth the wait. One exception (at least for me) is banana. I find that because bananas digest more slowly, I can eat stuff with it with no problems. So I would do what you do, but in reverse. I just don't get why people have such an issue with RAW fats. I suspect it really has to do with calories. But come on--if you are high raw or 100%, you are gonna find it hard to make it to 1500 calories a day!

Date: August 21, 2010 02:06AM

yeah, the main reason I do it in the order I do, is that the fruits, melon especially, doesnt seem to digest completely if I eat it on an empty stomach, it just goes right through me, where as with this combo, its been digesting perfectly... cantaloupe ive never had a problem with either, never mixed it with cottage cheese though...I cant stand cottage cheese,lol... when it was on sale, I was eating between 2-4 of them a day... now cantaloupe is back up to its normal price of $1.99 a pound :/ totally nuts...lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: August 21, 2010 02:10AM

Correction: 'double-OVER.' Wow does this edit button thingie disappear immediately! What's up with that? I have seen my typos and other mistakes and if I don't catch it right then, forget about it!

I get the whole cottage cheese thing--I chop lots of veggies in it--no way could I eat it by itself--blech!--Oh, and I am going vegan so please don't freak out people about me mentioning animal products on a vegan forum. I was mainly talking about the past when I mixed it with fruit.

1.99 a pound??? I never see it per pound here. They sell it by each and sometimes dirt cheap. A buck or two. I recently bought an organic cantalope from Whole Foods for $2.50. I am willing to pay that.

Date: August 21, 2010 02:13AM

eh, I really couldnt afford to pay more than $2 max for a 4 lb or bigger cantaloupe, not if I want to eat mostly fruits and veggies...If i had an extra $100 a month little bits like that wouldnt really matter... 2 for $5 is usually the best deal ive seen since I was a kid, but lately there has been some insane deals, $1 each, and for one day they where selling them 2 for $1...I ate so much cantaloupe...lollllll...mmmmmm

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2010 02:20AM

Sometimes I put hemp seeds into our smoothie. I've used soaked sunflower and pumpkin seeds too.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 21, 2010 06:08AM

I eat fruit only for the morning and love it. I'm not sure what the worry about sugar intake is?

Posted by: Punkrotten ()
Date: August 21, 2010 10:04AM

What about adding flax oil/seeds?

Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: August 21, 2010 01:50PM

This is my morning smoothie blend that works really well for me: a few ice cubes, some fresh or frozen berries, greens (kale, spinach or lettuces), flax seeds, chia seeds, small apple, banana, some raw rice protein powder, spirulina, maca, some cinnamon and cacao powder (adds great flavor). After all of this is blended, I will pour about half of it into a large bowl and stir in about 3 tablespoons of raw organic coconut oil. Yum!

I have found that the addition of the coconut oil has benefits in terms of flavor, satiety, and skin health. I have no adverse reactions in terms of combining this oil with all of the fruits and veggies added into the mix.

Date: August 21, 2010 02:01PM

Oh! And hemp seed protein powder-- I add in a lot of this, for protein, good fats, and 'cause I like the flavor. And because I like my smoothies thick and like pudding, adding extra hemp helps bulk things up.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 21, 2010 02:32PM

I simply couldn't eat that - good job we are all different smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 21, 2010 02:33PM

I shall reply regarding fat, banana who: It doesn't matter if it's raw or cooked--your primate body doesn't require a lot of fat to function, as opposed to, say, a carnivore's. So, try eating as much raw fat as you like and see how it feels. I personally don't mix fat and fruit anymore; initially, in gourmet raw desserts like fresh fruit pureƩ pies in a nutmeat and coconut crust, I could tolerate it. Gradually, I found myself feeling groggy after such combos, so I stopped.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 21, 2010 02:47PM

Yah, that smoothie would do me in too. All that fat, all those powders and spices and different foods, especially the ice! Cold and hot foods are super extra plus taxing on the body. All that would leave me feeling blech.

We use some berries, baby greens, water or juice, and banana for the kids (none in mine). Occasionally I might add some powdered green food &/or powdered probiotic but only because we have it and I'm trying to use it up. It's been a long time since I added any hemp seeds or soaked sunflower seeds. I do like those though, they are a good addition on mornings when we've got to leave the house right after breakfast and won't be able to snack until lunch (school, work, etc). Mostly I stick to greens and berries for me, that plus banana for the kids.

Date: August 21, 2010 04:10PM

Well, it is a good thing we are all different! I almost forgot the handful of mung bean sprouts I sprinkle on top. This smoothie is not cold, by the way; by the time everything is all blended, it comes out room temperature. And it is so filling that it comprises both my morning breakfast and mid-day meal. Easy-peasy.
And it totally energizes me--- in a good way.

Funny thing though-- I sometimes get the "whoa" (stomach-churning) response whenever I read through a raw gourmet recipe or mock "whatever" super complicated, dehydrated recipe. THAT would do me in, for sure. smiling smiley

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: August 26, 2010 11:58PM

The fat we eat is the fat we wear and the carbs we eat is the carbs we get to thrive on. You wont see any of the high energy raw crew partaking in fatty meals frequently. Can anyone show me a high fat energised athletic raw foody? Me either.smiling smiley

Robby Barbaro
Kristine Carillo
Jenny Lapan
Jungle Jannie
Lennie Morowitz
Bradley Saul
Tim Van Orden
Mike Arnstein
Tim Trader
Don Weaver
Richard Gambino
Myself and Freelee
Doug Graham
Raw Aussie Athlete
6 pak seb
Durian Darrick
and all the rest...

We all eat a lot fat, high carb raw vegan diet year round with nuts and seeds in very limited amounts. Thats the secret to nutritional vibrancy. NOBODY is thriving on a high fat diet raw or otherwise as it defies basic human physiology.

Here is a site that talks about twin's and how one had higher insulin on a high fat diet that the twin on a high carb diet.
[www.atkinsexposed.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2010 12:01AM by durianrider.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables