Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Chia seeds
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 26, 2010 07:49AM

Is it worth getting a book just about chia seeds? I must admit that as a runner I am fascinated about their supposed ability to increase ones stamina during a long run. How and why etc. Also how would you ingest them during the run - I have seen a web site saying to do this but not how it might be achieved.

I would like to know how to make them into a tasty gel - quantities etc bearing in mind that they are a ridiculous price in the UK. How much do you need to make a signifigant effect.

pborst - I think you mentioned a book but I've looked in lots of threads and can't find mention of it again. If you read this could you post the name again please?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chia seeds
Date: August 26, 2010 08:20AM

Also chia seeds are supposed to keep you hydrated on a run (Iread this on a site selling them - but it didn't go into details!!!!! ) Is this true and if so how?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 26, 2010 11:17AM

Jan,

I'm pretty sure it's this one.

[www.amazon.com]

Coates is pretty much the chia expert.

Date: August 26, 2010 11:36AM

Great, thanks very much

Posted by: DaisyHair ()
Date: August 26, 2010 05:02PM

I was just this morning reading about how to make chia tapioca.. would something along that line be good for your gel?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 26, 2010 06:07PM

I have the chia seed gel recipe somewhere flipper ill dig it out.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: August 26, 2010 07:00PM

Chia seeds absorb A LOT of water. I can't imagine eating more than just a small amount unless they have been soaked. Otherwise, internally they will be absorbing water from inside your body. (That's my theory, anyway.)

For chia seeds to help a runner stay hydrated, I assume the seeds would have to have been soaked and eaten some time before running.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: August 26, 2010 10:12PM

Those were my thoughts too Trive. I had a very small 'gel' before running club tonight and didn't notice any difference. Anyway being a bit of a sucker for books I have ordered the afore mentioned book and hopefully all will become clear. smiling smiley

I have to say that I am a bit worried that these expensive seeds might pass straight through and leave intact and undigested.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: August 26, 2010 11:55PM

Hmmm... make like a train and (thoroughly) choo, choo, choo!

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 27, 2010 02:28AM

Another question about chia seeds...since they form a gel can the gel be used:
a) In place of a banana in a smoothie...as a thickening agent?
b) Can the gel be used as a "binder" to make seed/nut crackers (in a dehydrator)?
TIA

Date: August 27, 2010 02:19PM

AnneV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another question about chia seeds...since they
> form a gel can the gel be used:
> a) In place of a banana in a smoothie...as a
> thickening agent?
> b) Can the gel be used as a "binder" to make
> seed/nut crackers (in a dehydrator)?
> TIA

Anne,

Yes, and yes. I have used them for both. I actually prefer chia seed as a binder over flax seed, though it's more expensive. It works very well as a thickening agent in a smoothie. Another thickening agent and binding agent to try is psyllium fiber. But don't use Metameucil, too much sugar. There is a product called Konsyl that is 100% psyllium fiber you can get in any store. I also recall one forum member mentioning that you can frequently find psyllium in bulk binds but I haven't had any success with that.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2010 02:29PM by pborst.

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: August 27, 2010 04:44PM

I've been wondering how to make this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2010 04:45PM by Krefcenz.

Date: August 27, 2010 04:46PM

Use 1 part seed by weight to 9 parts water. Let it set for 10 minutes at air temperature stirring gently. Then add whatever flavoring you like.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: August 27, 2010 05:05PM

I love chia seeds. I make a pudding with them for when I'm out since I rarely drink water then. Chia Seed Gel: 1/3 cup seeds to 2 cups water. Stir. Refrigerate in enclosed container. Soak 10 min. minimum, though the longer the more nutrients are released.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: August 27, 2010 05:44PM

Are they high in fat? Do they contain omegas? Are they good-tasting? Huh? Huh?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 27, 2010 06:30PM

They dont really taste of much banana very easy to consume. They are rich in omega 3, a great raw vegan source.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 27, 2010 07:51PM

pborst: Thanks for the information...I used some chia seed gel in my smoothie this morning...WOW!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables