Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kale Freshness
Posted by: Sunberry ()
Date: August 27, 2010 07:50PM

I try to eat my greens as soon as I buy them but how can you tell if curly kale is fresh when you buy it? I can sure tell it's not fresh when I have it in a smoothie, it's like eating paper.

Also does anyone know what is the best kale to use in green smoothies - I'm trying to get some variety in my greens.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kale Freshness
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 27, 2010 08:30PM

I prefer lacinato, because it doesn't taste as "grainy" to me, but fully homogenized regular green kale is fine. I hate purple kale; it is fit only for animal feed, IMO, as demonstrated by its commonly being used as an ornamental plant along pathways to houses in older suburbs.

Kale that is fresh is firm, with stems that break rather than bending as rubber. It should be fully green(or lavender colored with green edges, if you must buy purple kale), with leaves showing no yellowing or other signs of damage. The stem bottoms should be neat without browning or fraying where the leaf was cut--a sign of being cut several days too long ago. Lastly, kale should be moist at purchase, showing it's been kept humid.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 28, 2010 02:08PM

yeah, im with tam... purple kale gives me gas too, which is weird...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 28, 2010 02:57PM

It's animal feed! Animal feed, I tell you!!!

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: August 28, 2010 04:29PM

I think I may agree,lol... id like to know whats different about it that makes me gassy though...im curious...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables