Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Rate my lunch...please!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 27, 2010 07:53PM

1/2c sprouted wheat berries
1/2c "Asian style" slaw (red cabbage, carrot, onion and arame.)
1/4c raw peanuts

It was delicious!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rate my lunch...please!
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 27, 2010 09:52PM

I don't want to rain on your parade but it wouldn't suit me. I actually wouldn't eat any of it but what does that matter - the important thing is that you loved it. smiling smiley

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: August 28, 2010 04:49PM

My son (the peanut lover) would really love it.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 28, 2010 08:14PM

Don't eat sprouted grains, and that's too much nut fat for me, but it sounds like a tasty combination smiling smiley

Date: August 28, 2010 09:01PM

Wow, my mouth would not love that combo either. Maybe the slaw but not the wheat berries or the peanuts. I'm not sure about the slaw either.

Everybody likes different things though, there is no right or wrong.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 28, 2010 09:19PM

if ya like it and it doesnt cause you gastronomic distress , thats all that matters smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 28, 2010 11:34PM

AnneV, I think your lunch sounds pretty good. I agree with Jgunn.

I just had something similar that I liked a lot: 2 grated carrots, some chopped red bell pepper, some minced onion, about 1/10 teaspoon powdered kelp, and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds. I thought it was great! (and it feels good too smiling smiley)

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 29, 2010 04:22AM

hmm
ughmph

I have never had that combo,but I think my tummy would be upset.

Glad you liked it.

Its raw!!!!!!!!!
Thats what counts wink wink

Vin

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 29, 2010 09:55AM

i rate your lunch

a ten

cuz u thought it was delicious
and enjoyed it grinning smiley

ten
ten

TEN

TENNNN!!

YEAH!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 29, 2010 04:47PM

Yep, what matters is that you liked it and felt well. smiling smiley

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: August 29, 2010 05:13PM

Glad you liked it! That said, it's definitely not optimal in terms of fat content. A mono-fruit meal, fruit smoothie, fruit salad, etc. would be better.

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: August 31, 2010 03:23AM

Sounds like a great transitional lunch but for a long term option just have a meal of your fav sweet fruits.

A cooked spelt pasta meal with some low sodium, oil free tomato pasta sauce would have been a more healtful option than a raw meal loaded with fat and not enough carbs. sad smiley

Sweet fruit is always the best option when it comes to calories though.

Date: August 31, 2010 08:14AM

I made a mistake on my recipe (the one with the carrots) above. It should say 1/8 cup of sunflower seeds. (Oops!)

But Durianrider, I definitely would not call 1/4 cup of peanuts "loaded with fat". And I definitely, absolutely, for sure would everytime, and twice on Sundays, prefer to eat 1/4 cup of raw wildcrafted jungle peanuts (and support the rainforest with my purchase) over any kind of cooked grain. In fact, I just had a handful of raw jungle peanuts (about 1/4 cup). They were fantastic. Yes, they absolutely hit the spot!

And guess what? They didn't make me feel bad. They made me feel good. I was hungry so I ate them, and they were perfect. And from much past experience, I know I won't be heavier tomorrow, or feel like c--p.

Cooked grains however were a different story (for me).

That may not be true for everybody. But it's true for me. Cooked grains! EEK!

I'm a true blue, hard-core, for life (for living) raw food vegan. If not everyone else is, that's fine. But for me, RAW is the "more healthful option." So to everyone out there who lives wild, who isn't afraid to eat the nuts and seeds that every wild herbivore in nature eats to their satisfaction and then runs free, to AnneV and to the mongooses, the wild pigs, the dear that eat the seed tips of the grasses, the feral cats that eat the fallen coconut, the birds, the monkeys, and etc., etc.: NO SHAME!

Eating to one's satisfaction means just that: not too much, not too little. 1/4 cup of raw peanuts is not too much (for me). I'm a small raw person (less than 90 pounds). I think maybe a few other people might find the same is true for them as well.

Date: August 31, 2010 08:19AM

Lovely post Suncloud smiling smiley

Date: August 31, 2010 01:01PM

WORD!

It's always helpful when handing out advice to remember that everyone is different, different tastes, needs, physiology, etc. There is no One Way that suits us all. I do not thrive on high fruit myself and also have no trouble with raw nuts and seeds eaten moderately.
Some of these "ideal" diets I see proposed would not suit me at all though their supporters insist on them being the One And Only Way. To them I say good for you for finding something that works for YOU.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 31, 2010 08:49PM

What is the obsession with carbs durian, they are integeral to health as is protein and fat.

Then the micronutrients we need some of all of these.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: September 02, 2010 04:17AM

"It was delicious!"

It seems that you rated it already. smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: September 02, 2010 07:07AM

Hey rawgosia, how's your mystery plant?

Date: September 02, 2010 08:00AM

Even if someone thinks 80/10/10 is ideal (with 10% of total calories eaten in a day coming from fat), how does anyone know if this one meal has too much fat when no one knows what AnneV ate for the rest of the day?

When I entered AnneV's lunch in nutritiondata.com, it came to only 332 calories.

To make a whole day's worth of calories, I added 5 medium-sized peaches, 5 medium-sized oranges, 5 medium sized apples, and 5 large bananas (2027 calories). That came out to 83% carbs, 11% fats, and 6% protein.

In 80/10/10, several of the day's menus come to 11% fat for the day, with all of the "overt" fats eaten at one meal.

So how does AnneV's meal have too much fat? Or is this opinion based on an assumption that people should eat even less fat than what's proposed in 80/10/10? Or are people just not aware that 1/4 cup of nuts or seeds fits very easily into an 80/10/10 diet? Or.....?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2010 08:08AM by suncloud.

Date: September 02, 2010 05:50PM

suncloud,

I don't eat that much fat in one sitting. I would have halved the nuts to slaw ratio to make the nuts more of a garnish. Perhaps I'm assuming that the 3 items listed would have to have a dressing to bind them, although that isn't listed.

Date: September 02, 2010 06:57PM

Hi Tamukha,

Oh, OK, the dressing! I just assumed there wouldn't be a dressing because of all the peanuts already.

Guess that's a question for AnneV.

Date: September 02, 2010 08:50PM

Well done Suncloud - i believe that's a very helpful post that you put up. It shows clearly that what looked like a lot of fat in somepeople's eyes is easily balanced out in a day's eating.

Date: September 02, 2010 08:56PM

suncloud,

It's possible she whizzed the nuts with water and citrus juice of some kind to make a dressing for the other ingredients, now that I look at her op again.

Date: September 02, 2010 09:28PM

Thank you flipperjan.

Tamukha, I don't think AnneV posts here very often, so maybe we'll never know. This may remain a "mystery lunch"......

Date: September 03, 2010 12:33AM

Suncloud, my tiny little plant has grown and is BIG now! It lives in my kitchen. Thanks so much for asking, I will let her know that you did, she will be happy I am sure. smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: September 03, 2010 12:38AM

Oh, thanks Rawgosia! Glad to hear she's doing well, and happy to see you here again.

Date: September 03, 2010 12:41AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables