Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

1/4 Cup nuts/seeds is OK on 80/10/10.
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 02, 2010 06:52PM

I have the impression from another thread that some people might not be aware that 1/4 cup of nuts/seeds per day comes out to around 11% total fat (for a 2000-calorie/day diet)

Many of the menus in 80/10/10 add up to 11% fat for the day (Most often, the "overt" fats are included all in one meal). There's even one menu that adds up to 15% fat for the day (page 184). Other days are less than 10%, so that over the course of the week, the days average out to around 10%. 80/10/10 usually uses a weight measurement of 1 ounce rather than a volume measurement of 1/4 Cup. For nuts and seeds, it's close to the same thing. Some nuts/seeds weigh a little more at that volume. Some nuts/seeds weigh a little less. But not by much.

If a person wants to follow a low-fat raw diet, but they don't have a fancy scale, 1/4 Cup of nuts/seeds is OK. If a person would rather go less than 80/10/10 in terms of fat, that's their choice of course.

For myself, I do 10% fat (or less) sometimes, but often not - especially when I'm exercising regularly. I feel fine and don't gain weight. That's on an all-raw vegan diet though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2010 07:07PM by suncloud.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1/4 Cup nuts/seeds is OK on 80/10/10.
Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: September 03, 2010 01:19AM

Thanks!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 03, 2010 01:03PM

I agree, I plugged in 10 bananas, 2 mangoes, 3 apples, 2 cups blueberries, 10 cups spinach, and 1/4 cups cashew nuts and got 11% of calories from fat, of course some of the fat coming from items other than the cashews. smiling smiley

I think when we see one meal with a lot of fat, we automatically and sometimes incorrectly assume that all of the person's meals will have that much fat. But I don't see why giving our opinion on "that's too much fat for me" or "too heavy for me" or "not enough fruit" is "wrong" or should be discouraged. We're all different, at different stages, and some of us like different things. Just because a certain meal would be heavy for me doesn't mean it's heavy for you, and if I state it would be heavy, that doesn't mean one should take offense to my opinion.

Date: September 03, 2010 06:33PM

Definitely, I think you're absolutely right Utopian Life. I think it's fine to give one's own opinion, always. I appreciate what you're saying.

Posted by: marksquire ()
Date: September 03, 2010 09:35PM

Any sort of nut or seed messed up the entire diet of 80-10-10. Eating a handful of nuts will affect your next meal negatively. I avoided nuts and seeds completely, except in the case of flax/hemp oil, but only in the evening, AWAY from any carb meal.

Best,
Mark

Date: September 04, 2010 01:28AM

In response to marksquire, I don't know if nuts or seeds mess up 80/10/10. I do know, in my case at least, that nuts and seeds do not mess up being raw vegan. (24 years next month)

I'm curious though marksquire, if you avoided nuts and seeds entirely and you say that nuts and seeds are what messes up 80/10/10, why are you no longer doing 80/10/10?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 01:38AM by suncloud.

Date: September 04, 2010 01:50AM

I'm curious though marksquire, if you believe that "Any sort of nut or seed messed up the entire diet of 80-10-10", and if you did not eat nuts and seeds when you were doing 80/10/10, then why are you no longer doing 80/10/10?

Date: September 04, 2010 05:38AM

Sorry about the goof-up on my editing above!

Just a couple of hypotheses:

Hypothesis #1): Could it be that some people just really have a very hard time handling plant oils, and some people just really don't? (technically - according to my biology instructor and textbook, "fats" are animal lipids, and "oils" are plant lipids, usually; ie, "fats" are solids, "oils" are liquids).

Hypothesis #2): Could it be that after some time on 80/10/10, people lose the ability to handle plant oils, like a "use it or lose it" kind of thing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 05:47AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 04, 2010 02:10PM

both could be equally plausible, and in my opinion, probably are.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: September 09, 2010 10:05AM

I still eat some nuts, seeds and avo but say no to oil as its just 100% pure refined fat and it doesnt matter if its cold press organic or triple virgin or pressed by a sacred chipmunk..our body doesnt like digesting oil as it has no fiber/constituent nutrients with it.

I find that loading up on the fruit carb calories works better for energy levels. I stay away from overt fats when ever I want hardcore energy the next day..which is pretty much everyday and why I hardly eat overt fats thesedays..smiling smiley

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: September 09, 2010 12:45PM

durianrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I still eat some nuts, seeds and avo but say no to
> oil as its just 100% pure refined fat and it
> doesnt matter if its cold press organic or triple
> virgin or pressed by a sacred chipmunk..our body
> doesnt like digesting oil as it has no
> fiber/constituent nutrients with it.
>
> I find that loading up on the fruit carb calories
> works better for energy levels. I stay away from
> overt fats when ever I want hardcore energy the
> next day..which is pretty much everyday and why I
> hardly eat overt fats thesedays..smiling smiley

Same for me. I love avocado, but I don't eat any oils. They're nothing but pure fat! It would be like eating straight salt...yucky!

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables