Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Seaweed vs. Leafy Greens
Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: September 23, 2010 04:41PM

How does seaweed compare to leafy greens such as spinach, lettuce, and kale? Is it possible to use seaweed as the majority of one's green leaf intake? I find seaweed to be preferable because it lasts a long time, requires no preparation, and has a ton of flavor.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seaweed vs. Leafy Greens
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 23, 2010 04:55PM

Seaweed is great and has many health benefits, rich in minerals such as iodine which is a hard to get on a raw or vegan diet. Rich in vitamins especially the vitamin b group, has documented compounds which are anti-cancer and bind to heavy metals. Good source of fiber for feeding the good flora and much more.

Saying that you need both in my opinion. Green leafy vegetables have many beneficial phytonutrients that seaweed doesnt have. So i recommend taking in abit of both.

What kind of seaweeds are your favorite? My favorite is dulse or sea spaghetti.

Date: September 23, 2010 05:05PM

I've mostly had Kelp, but I'd like to try other kinds. I've only had Maine Coast brand so far.

I'd also like to try some of their seasonings like their kelp/cayenne shaker. Might be a good way to add flavor to vegetables and other greens.

Date: September 23, 2010 05:31PM

Ahh nice one, id give dulse a try not as strong a flavour and just melts in your mouth. Really nice.

Ive not really tried much seaweed seasonings so if you give any of them a shot let me know.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 23, 2010 08:00PM

Seaweed is nutrient rich, as powerlifer says, but it cannot be used interchangeably with land plants--you need both.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: September 23, 2010 11:44PM

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 24, 2010 08:11AM

Rawgosia, the claims made in the "seaweed caution" are incorrect. They are an unfortunate product of a notorious internet rumor mill (shiver).

Seaweeds (true algae) do perform photosynthesis, and biologists often refer to them as Planet Earth's "first plants ".

"Protist" means "First", and that's why seaweeds are members of the "Kingdom Protista". Relative to the name, the "Kingdom Protista" includes many other varying species, all because of a primitive cellular structure, rather than because those species are plant-like, animal-like, predatory, benign, or harmful to the human species. Protozoa, the "first animals", are also members of the Kingdom Protista. Land plants and larger animals have a more complex cellular structure, relying on multiple specialized organs to fully function, hence the separation of species' kingdoms.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Cyanobacteria (including "blue-green algae" such as chlorella and spirulina) are members of the Monera Kingdom. They are considered the original photosynthesizers, and as such, they are the origin of all plant life - and the means by which our atmosphere was altered to include oxygen.

In fact, a very close genetic relative of cyanobacteria - the "chloroplasts" - are found in all photosynthesizing land plants. It is within the chloroplasts that photosynthesis takes place.

[www.ucmp.berkeley.edu]

I'm personally fascinated that seaweeds (true algae), blue-green algaes (cyanobacteria), and land plants are our planet's energy "producers" - creating the means by which the entire planet's organisms - including animals - are capable of obtaining energy. In the beyond-magical process called "photosynthesis", plants use energy from the sun to turn carbon dioxide and water into.....oxygen and carbohydrates! - where excess sun energy is stored.

As a result of the activity from these friendly (and innocent) species, we animals have life energy available to us from the carbs we eat, plus we have oxygen to breathe.

Oxygen is important to animals because it breaks up the carbohydrates we consume, thereby releasing the stored energy which our bodies use for all our life processes. (Yes carbs! The science of carbon is the science of Life!) And the biproducts of this process are - back to the beginning again - carbon dioxide (that we exhale) and water. Plants absorb the CO2 and water again, they add more sun energy, and voila, we have carbohydrates and oxygen again, and the cycle continues on.

Nothing is ever lost or gained. Our cells are made of materials from organisms that existed in both living and nonliving forms from the beginning of life on Earth.

Even the sun energy is never lost, but dissipates continually out into the environment as thermal heat, as it moves up the food chain. Consequently, with each step "up" the food chain ladder, less energy is available to the next consumer - another reason to eat the plants at the bottom of the "chain"!

Just to summarize, and debunk a few of the strange claims in the "Seaweed Caution" article:

-Seaweeds and cyanobacteria are in separate kingdoms, as stated above. Neither is made of animal cells, and neither consumes oxygen (jeez).

-Algae "bloom" most often occurs as a result of a disturbance caused by humans, when unnatural quantities of fertilizers and/or feces leach into a water body - a lake or pond. Suffocation occurs because the overgrowth of algae produces rotting algae which is consumed by multiplying heterotrophic bacteria (not cyanobacteria). This other type of bacteria does not photosynthesize. It functions as a "decomposer", absorbing oxygen, and causing suffocation within the water body. All this is the fault of humans. Let's not blame the algae or the bacteria; they're only performing the functions we require for life.

-Many sea animal species survive by eating algae. Chloroplasts don't camouflage algae to protect it from being eaten by fish (double jeez). Chloroplasts are the functioning photosynthesizers in seaweeds and land plants.

-Not sure what the author was implying about viruses. In nature, plant viruses do exist, but they infect other plants. I'm not aware of any virus ever contracted by any animal from seaweed. In fact, some studies have found seaweed to be beneficial in preventing viral infection.

[herpesnation.blogspot.com]

-"Steroids" are an essential category of lipids, possibly found in every plant and animal. Natural steroids are very different from the synthetic steroids used by bodybuilders (final jeez).

[www.annualreviews.org]

-Anyone concerned about seaweed contamination should perhaps check to see if it's been tested for heavy metals. Only hijiki and some kelp supplements have been found to be dangerous in that regard. Part of the function of every plant on the planet is to consume rotting dead animals.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 08:26AM by suncloud.

Date: September 24, 2010 08:50AM

Just for fun, here's another internet hoax, but this time based on something entirely true .....

Dihydrogen monoxide:

is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
may cause severe burns.
is fatal if inhaled.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:
as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of Styrofoam.
as a fire retardant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Oh my gosh!

(Anyone know what it is?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 08:54AM by suncloud.

Date: September 24, 2010 01:32PM

water

smiling smiley

Date: September 24, 2010 02:03PM

suncloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh my gosh!
>
> (Anyone know what it is?)

Cacao.

Just kidding grinning smiley

Date: September 24, 2010 05:22PM

Jonathan, that's right!

A number of signatures were apparently collected demanding protection from dihydrogen monoxide, before it was revealed that the substance was water.

(Suspendedindefinitely, cacao?! LOL! Good guess!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 05:29PM by suncloud.

Date: September 25, 2010 02:26AM

haha, that's really funny but also quite sad.

Reminds me of the following

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 25, 2010 01:37PM

Jonathan,

People can be dumb. [sigh]

Date: September 26, 2010 01:45AM

suncload, to me more concerning than the photosynthesis arguments, are the suitability and health arguments on the link I gave. That the algae absorb pollutants is a fact, not a heresy, isn't it?

Somehow this aligns with my experience. I used to include seaweed in my diet, but over the years as my body became more sensitive, I found them more and more unbalancing. I think that there is a reason to that - my body does not like them.

I accept that everyone is at their own stage of their journey, and what is relevant to them, may not be relevant to others.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: September 26, 2010 02:56AM

Same here rawgosia. Most people are never at the exact same stage of anything as anyone else. I accept that too. (And certainly, the notion that one person's stage is more advanced than another person's stage, is always questionable.)

About the pollutants, seaweeds have often been tested for pollutants, and consistent results show that hijiki can be high in heavy metals. Other seaweeds though (with the exception of kelp supplements) have been fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 03:07AM by suncloud.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: September 26, 2010 09:21AM

The notion that people need both leafy greens and seaweed to be healthy is not going to sit well with those who follow the 80/10/10 diet who pretty much regard seaweed as toxic don't they? It's not surprising for that idea to be countered with anti-seaweed propaganda.

Date: September 26, 2010 10:37AM

Its just iodine is a very hard nutrient to get on a raw vegan diet. Most fruit and vegetables contain very little to no iodine if the soil is poor.

Also the alginates bind to any metals and render them useless.

Date: September 26, 2010 11:57AM

loeve,

I've followed 80/10/10 in the past(on a bit of a high greens kick just now), but I was not an accolyte. Doug Graham doesn't address the iodine issue adequately, and it's an important one. So, like any time I see a void in a hypothesis, I fill in the void myself. Seaweed doesn't conflict with the other parts of the 80/10/10 regimen, so I don't see the problem with including it, if that's the regimen one is on.

The thing that struck me as interesting about JonathanBarlow's op was that he seems to be asking whether a land animal--the human--can subsist on sea vegetables, presumably like our primordial ancestors. Am wondering if that's what prompted the question. Jonathan? You there?

Date: September 26, 2010 12:59PM

loeve, I do not follow 811, I follow my body instincts. I arrived at my current diet spontaneously, as a result of gradual transition. I was a fruit lover before the 811 book came out. So my position has nothing to do with being a follower. As far as seaweed, as I said, I used to eat it, but gradually, due to my taste rejecting it, I stopped. I now do not think that this is optimal food. But it took me a while to realize this. So I understand that people might be at different stages and liking different foods, but this can change. I continue to observe changes in my preferences.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: September 26, 2010 01:10PM

The only downside for seaweed to me is the taste, minus dulse which i find ok. But then again i dont like the taste of many fruits and vegetables either but i still continue to eat them for the health benefits much as i do seaweeds.

The benefits far outweigh the taste for me, although i do wish they were abit more appetizing lol.

Date: September 26, 2010 01:37PM

To me that taste is the sign that something is not optimal. Usually there is some underlying reason. Unripe fruit, or too harsh greens, etc.

I find seaweed too salty.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: September 26, 2010 01:50PM

To me taste is purely down to preferance, palate and other factors such as texture. Someone may love the taste of bananas whilst it could be anothers worst enemy taste wise.

Date: September 26, 2010 06:41PM

I like the taste of most seaweeds I've tried. Rinsing the saltier varieties takes the salt out of them.

Rawgosia said: "I continue to observe changes in my preferences."

A very grand and wonderful statement, in my view; and at the same time, a humbling one!......Evolution! The finest thing about the human race, and the connection to all other life forms!

We all never know for sure what our own next stage might be. And that's why it's most likely fruitless (smiling smiley) to assume we can ever accurately assess the stages of others. But maybe we do know that we'll all be moving forward (good thing).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2010 06:49PM by suncloud.

Date: September 26, 2010 11:54PM

Taste is so much more than many people think. This is a crucial part of our body mechanism that helps in obtaining the optimal nutrition. A little bit more on this at my recent article Calorie counting or Hunger?

As far as the evolution, my sensitivity to my body signals progresses each year. The parallel evolution of my diet has been from gourmet to mono, from high-fat to fruit-based, to juicy fruit and tender greens. I think that when we let the journey unfold spontaneously, the ride is more joyous and effortless this way.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: September 27, 2010 01:44PM

rawgosia, I like the way you think!

Tamukha, I just really like the taste of seaweed and find it very convenient to take on the road, so I was wondering if it could substitute for land greens sometimes. From the responses it appears that it is not a substitute, but it might be a good thing to eat in addition to land greens.

Date: September 27, 2010 01:56PM

Ohh you could definitely substitute it, as it contains all the minerals needed, rich in b vitamins, vitamin C etc.

But yeah both are the best way. Leafy greens will contain phytonutrients not contained in seaweed, whilst seaweed has minerals, and compounds that have been proven to be anti-cancer, detox metals and other toxins etc not contained in leafy greens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2010 01:57PM by powerlifer.

Date: September 27, 2010 04:23PM

Right, and the other benefit I see is the high fiber content.

Date: September 27, 2010 04:43PM

Ahh yeah i forgot about that the high fibre is good for feeding the good florasmiling smiley.

Date: October 05, 2010 06:06PM

rawgosia, do you consume salt?

Date: October 06, 2010 10:42PM

Per statistics from the last year, not usually. I tend to eat fruit (daily), plus salads (sometimes). I find tomatoes and greens salty, celery very salty, while seaweed and salt too salty and dehydrating. Last month, when at a restaurant I tried a salad with some salty ingredients in it, this felt too salty to me.

I admit I do wonder about the sodium. No one knows what the optimum intake for humans is, as all the minimum recommendations are based on averages derived from cooked foodists.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables