Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

grain/seed debate
Posted by: EddieOrso ()
Date: September 25, 2010 11:58AM

I have a question. If grains are a seed or a fruit, why would they be bad for us to consume?
----
A grain is a small, hard, edible fruit or seed harvested from crops of grasses. Grains, which include wheat, rice, barley, and oats, generally grow in a head or cluster at the top of the mature plant. These seeds are each a complex mixture of compounds including proteins, starches, water, and oils.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: grain/seed debate
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 25, 2010 02:04PM

I don't think they're bad, they're just not ideal. Birds are much better able to digest grains, for example, because they evolved to eat grains much longer ago than we did. If you can tolerate sprouted grains, why not eat them?

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: September 25, 2010 06:26PM

I think raw, sprouted grains are fine, Eddie, and would eat more were it not for the fact that it takes a while to sprout them, and it's so much easier to grab some fruit!

I wrote an article on this two and a half years ago, which may be of interest:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: September 28, 2010 01:17AM

grains/starches are good, sweet fruit is best.

When we get our calories from fat aka nuts, seeds, we go downhill health and fitness wise pretty quickly.

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: September 28, 2010 04:05AM

*When you get calories from fat, if you need them, you can use them very quickly and efficiently for energy, if they're not saturated animal fats (in my opinion-hard to digest compared to nuts and seeds and fatty fruits)

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: September 28, 2010 04:12AM

Grain Damage by D. Graham is my favorite book on the subject. But if you want to eat grains, dont read it. ;D

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: September 29, 2010 01:07AM

Organic raw nuts and seeds make me feel really good as long as I don't eat too many. They have lots of nutrition in them, besides just oils. They have lots of minerals, and they are filling. Mmmm good!

And nuts are a tree food! Trees are cool.

Sprouted grains are OK for me, but I don't care as much for the taste, and they put more weight on me than nuts and seeds - even though they have less calories.

Right now our macadamia nut trees are going off, and the entire ecological animal community here is out there competing for them - including me! I will save them like a squirrel and eat them all year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables