Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Carbs vs fat for weight loss, health and fitness. My latest vid.
Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: September 28, 2010 01:36AM

Here it is and feel free to share your compliments/critiques.

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbs vs fat for weight loss, health and fitness. My latest vid.
Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: October 04, 2010 02:46AM

Hi Harley
what about the cleansing aspect of fruit for the obese person who obviously has a lot of toxicity floating around?

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 04, 2010 05:42AM

I like nuts/seeds/avocado/coconut - just not too much. I don't think it has to be either-or, "carbs vs fats" for everybody. I'm more moderate with the "fats", but I like both.

Whole nuts and seeds have lots of essential micronutrients - not just fats - that are often difficult to access sufficiently on a raw food diet without them, even when a person includes avocado. And when consumed moderately, nuts/seeds are an excellent long-term energy source.

I'm satisfied with being consistently 100% raw; and for me, that means including small portions of nuts and seeds - whatever amount feels good when I eat them, and afterwards.

I weigh less than 90 pounds, so I guess they're not making me gain weight.

I like to eat a lot of fruit too. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 05:46AM by suncloud.

Posted by: CoeyCoey ()
Date: October 04, 2010 08:25AM

Again, I am wondering is Durianrider has ever been overweight?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 04, 2010 08:57AM

As i explained to durian on another forum its a matter of calories if you take in more than you expend your going to put on weight.

It doesnt matter if that comes from carbs, protein or fat its the excess calories at the end of the day.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 04, 2010 10:58AM

suncloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like nuts/seeds/avocado/coconut - just not too
> much. I don't think it has to be either-or,
> "carbs vs fats" for everybody. I'm more moderate
> with the "fats", but I like both.
>
> Whole nuts and seeds have lots of essential
> micronutrients - not just fats - that are often
> difficult to access sufficiently on a raw food
> diet without them, even when a person includes
> avocado. And when consumed moderately,
> nuts/seeds are an excellent long-term energy
> source.
>
> I'm satisfied with being consistently 100% raw;
> and for me, that means including small portions of
> nuts and seeds - whatever amount feels good when I
> eat them, and afterwards.
>
> I weigh less than 90 pounds, so I guess they're
> not making me gain weight.
>
> I like to eat a lot of fruit too. smiling smiley

-----
I'm not saying you eat too much fat, but just in general, let's say someone on SAD, saying they are that light would make me concerned EVEN IF they ate a lot of fat, because someone malnourished people are under and not overweight. Depending on height of course. And not directed at you.

Date: October 04, 2010 02:59PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> As i explained to durian on another forum its a
> matter of calories if you take in more than you
> expend your going to put on weight.
>
> It doesnt matter if that comes from carbs, protein
> or fat its the excess calories at the end of the
> day.

Yes, this is another "raw food cures everything" myth. Raw food does take up more space for the amount of calories it has and if you eat the same volume of food, you eat fewer calories, but to say that eating 3,000 calories in bananas a day is going to help me lose is utterly false. If I eat anything other 2,500 calories of raw fruit and vegetables, I will gain weight.

On the body builder forums, they tell me to eat more protein. Here it is eat more carbs. Neither work if you eat too many calories. Granted, the fiber calories in food is minimally digestible, so you get some free calories there, and the thermogenesis of protein is about higher than carbs, but no too people have the same metabolism and burn energy the same way.

Durianrider, It is great that you are so in touch with your own body and know what it needs, but your claims are completely unfounded. Claiming weightloss is "as simple as this" is just downright insulting. I have lost over 80 pounds in my journey and I realized that weight loss is far more psychological than physiological for most people. It is not easy at all and requires a complete change in mindset and lifestyle. Telling people it is so easy and when they try and fail, will simply demotivate them more.

Date: October 04, 2010 05:48PM

Good point Utopian Life. In my case, I have a very small frame, I'm female, and I'm only 5'1". I'm physically uncomfortable weighing more.

But definitely, a person can be SAD, underweight, and malnourished and also include too much unhealthy fats in their diet.

Interesting conversation between Powerlifer and CoeyCoey.

I'm personally not so sure about calories. Seems like there's something missing from the calorie equation regarding weight gain, but I don't know what it is. In my case, all calories from different food types don't appear to be created equal.

On another note, I do think there's more to diet and weight maintenance than calories and the macronutrients - proteins, carbs. If a person's diet is deficient in a specific mineral, they might be hungry all the time, and this could result in overeating.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 06:02PM by suncloud.

Date: October 04, 2010 06:05PM

Oops, I meant to include fats in my list of macronutrients (last paragraph in the above post).

Date: October 04, 2010 06:27PM

suncloud Wrote:
> On another note, I do think there's more to diet
> and weight maintenance than calories and the
> macronutrients - proteins, carbs. If a person's
> diet is deficient in a specific mineral, they
> might be hungry all the time, and this could
> result in overeating.

Suncloud,

Yes, this is the whole theory behind a whole foods plant-based diet. Higher nutrient dense foods reduce cravings and provide the body with what it needs to run efficiently. Nutrients/calories=Health is the equation many people like to use. The more calories and lower nutrients, the smaller the health outcome. This means the healthiest foods tends to be vegetables, then fruits, then nuts, and finally animal products being the least healthy. I think most overweight people are starving themselves of micronutrients.

I don't agree entirely with the calories in versus calories out for weight loss as a work for all solution. I have about 5 pounds or so of belly fat I have been trying to lose for sometime. I tried calorie restriction of 500 calories a day and did a round of Insanity for 60 days. I didn't lose a single pound, and I noticed very little body composition change. The problem is that my body is really good at burning carbs, but it isn't very good at burning fat. So, instead of it burning fat when the carbs were depleted, my body just greatly lowered my metabolism. So, at the recommendation of some fasting gurus, I started a fast which is forcing my body to use fat. My energy was extremely low when I started, but it keeps increasing as my body gets use to burning the fat. When I start eating carbs again, I should have good carb and fat burning metabolisms for increased energy. That is the theory anyway.

I think that calorie restriction might be less beneficial than intermittent fasting without calorie restriction. I think "grazing" is not the best method of eating at all. Personally, I like to pig out and feel stuffed than eat lightly all day anyway. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 06:29PM by CoeyCoey.

Posted by: waterfountain ()
Date: October 04, 2010 06:38PM

try following gi version of raw as sugars etc are stored in stomach, i've found yoga for hormones helps as well

Date: October 04, 2010 06:48PM

What do you mean sugars are stored in the stomach?

Date: October 04, 2010 07:09PM

To Utopian Life, up above, I said this: "But definitely, a person can be SAD, underweight, and malnourished and also include too much unhealthy fats in their diet."

I should have said, "But definitely, a person can be SAD or 100% raw food, underweight, and malnourished and also include too much unhealthy or healthy fats in their diet." I think a person can't get everything they need from eating nuts or seeds, just like a person can't get everything they need from eating fruits. A holistic approach is best.

CoeyCoey, good luck on your venture! In case you might not already have experienced this, establishing a regular intensive exercise routine is an excellent way to train your body to burn fat. Eating meals earlier in the day is also helpful. Again, good luck, and nice to have you here!

Date: October 04, 2010 07:15PM

Suncloud,

I have done 3 rounds of P90X, and 1 round of insanity. Although I did build a good deal of muscle and have excellent cardio endurance, I did not lose any noticeable amount of fat. My body burns carbs very well, but when the carbs are gone, I become very weak and my metabolism drops significantly.

Date: October 05, 2010 02:48AM

CoeyCoey,

That's unfortunate. You probably can't do much now while you're fasting, but when your fast is over, do you think it might help to build up a little slower? Long walks, light handweights? Yoga?

Do you have an exercise plan in mind when you break your fast?

Date: October 05, 2010 08:51AM

Coeycoey it could still be your metabolism and thyroid, im sure you said you were iodine deficient in the chronic fatigue thread. I was the same for years had this stubborn bit of bodyfat that no matter how hard i worked out, cut calories was always there. Until i fixed my adrenal problem which in turn fixed my low thyroid issue.

Date: October 05, 2010 03:10PM

Suncloud,

I plan to do a P90X/Insanity Hybrid. I don't think it will help to build up slowly. I think that would allow my body to go back the way it was before. I plan to hit it hard. After all, the increase in growth hormone from a fast is perfect for building muscle.

Powerlifer,

That is interesting. Well, hopefully my fast will help the issues. I am hoping it speeds up my fast burning when I get back to eating and working out.

Date: October 05, 2010 03:52PM

I really like high intensity interval training which has shown to be the best at burning fat and improving cardiac fitness/health. Im never looking into P90X much so dont know if there is any HIIT included in there.

Date: October 05, 2010 04:34PM

Yes, P90X has HIIT in a few videos, but insanity is where it is at. It is way beyond HIIT. Where HIIT is a steady state workout with short bursts of 30 seconds to a minute, Insanity is 3 minutes of max intensity with a 30 second rest. I didn't lose much fat, but my cardio is awesome. My resting and max heart rate dropped, and my aerobic threshold went way up.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: October 14, 2010 08:20AM

If someone gave us a horse that was raised on meat and fries, would we keep feeding it to 'slow the detox' or would we just let it eat the grass?

Same with humans, let em eat fruit, let em cleanse.

Hey, look at me. Super fit, healthy and totally drug free. It works 100% of the time when we do 100% the right things. It IS that simple. smiling smiley

Date: November 06, 2010 09:55AM

Yes again durians answer 1 tool fixes all, so will filling a person up on masses of calories of sweet fruit help is they have a severe thyroid disorder and unable to loss weight because there metabolism is rock bottom?

There is no one answer fits all ever in my opinion if things were as simple as you make out, we wouldnt need decades of research and science.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 09:57AM by powerlifer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables