Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Eating the skin and seeds of fruit
Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: September 28, 2010 05:17PM

Are there any fruits (or vegetables) for which it might be beneficial to consume the seeds and/or skin? Are there any fruits or vegetables for which the skin or seeds must be avoided?

I know apple seeds are toxic, but I've heard papaya seeds are nutritious. I was interested to learn from powerlifer that apples and cucumbers contain most of the nutrition in the skin. But I'm not sure I could imagine eating the skin of a banana or grapefruit for example. I did consider eating papaya skin the other day. And I've often considered eating the seeds of a bell pepper.

I suppose one could go by taste, but taste can be acquired (for both healthy and harmful items).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eating the skin and seeds of fruit
Posted by: brome ()
Date: September 28, 2010 07:48PM

I saw a clip of a gorilla eating a banana. He peeled it and ate the tasty core just as one might expect, but then it was down the hatch with the peel too.

In Afghanistan they grow apricots that have an edible nut.

The seeds of squash and melons are all edible. They are all closely related. To eat cantaloupe seeds I save them from several melons and then blend them with some water and fruit. Strain thru a mesh bag and you have a tasty seed milk.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: September 28, 2010 08:30PM

From what I understand, the peel of Tangerine, Orange & Grapefruit contains an oil that is not good for humans to ingest...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 28, 2010 09:34PM

It is true that much of the nutrients in many foods is found in the skin. The skin of many fruits and vegetables also contains much of the fiber making it very beneficial to eat. I have eaten the seeds of bell peppers before and they taste relatively neutral. Papaya seeds on the other hand have a very bitter taste but have TONS of nutrients in them. I dry mine using a dehydrator and then add them to recipes like this one: www.livelifealive.com/superbreakfast.html.

Eating the skin of many fruits and vegetables can be really beneficial. If you don't like eating them in their raw state you can try juicing some (melon rinds for example can be juiced if you have the right equipment) or adding them blended recipes like the one above. The rind and skin also has the most exposure to many toxins, pesticides, and chemicals so I would be very aware of washing them thoroughly before consuming them.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: September 29, 2010 02:44AM

I love juicing melon rinds, but as I cant afford organic, I peel off the outside...I absolutely love watermelon rind juice, been drinking it with iced green tea lately as well...tasty stuff!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: October 06, 2010 04:48AM

Hi JB,
Some peels may not be good to eat, however orange peel makes a lovely addition to tea. And a little of the zesty part of citrus to salad dressings gives intense flavour.
My mum told me that when I was a child, she found it funny that I would eat the whole apple! In nature seeds protect themselves and pass out in our @#$%&, thereby fulfilling their cycle of procreation. Not sure they do much damage to us unless we grind them.
I feel guilty, a friend of mines son used to eat kiwis with the skin on until I went "urgh" one day (as I used to find it too bitter). ever since tHen he insisted on peeling them , oh what have I done?

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: October 06, 2010 10:01AM

okundeji.. ive always eaten kiwi's with there skin..

your saying theyre meant to be peeled??!? o_O

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: October 06, 2010 12:28PM

livelifealive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is true that much of the nutrients in many
> foods is found in the skin.

Yes, but can we actually digest, absorb, and assimilate these nutrients?

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: October 06, 2010 01:57PM

Thanks OD! I never thought of eating Kiwi skin, but perhaps I will try it now. I'll make up for the skin that your friend no longer eats!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables