Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Gimme just one good reason!
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 01, 2010 01:06AM

Hi! See, I have been doing some thinking. My partner and I have been eating more raw than ever (except for today). He was very enthusiastic about becoming very high raw, maybe even 100%. But since I do the "cooking" (or non-cooking), I find that sometimes it's easier to pop a spud in the oven versus soaking raw seeds for a future pate (plus have produce that it a bit of a distance to obtain). I notice that many of the gurus had serious health problems which lead to their exploration on alternative diets. I don't have many of these issues so it's not much of an impetus. So give me some good reasons for a basically healthy person to go 100% raw or even high raw, okay?smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gimme just one good reason!
Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: October 01, 2010 01:31AM

try it and see how it feels. Find out for yourself. You don't have to continue it, just try it for awhile.

david

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 01, 2010 01:37AM

1. When I was 100% raw, I felt the BEST I EVER HAVE! (I'm 90-something percent raw now. If you want to discuss my reasons, we can discuss it in a PM.)

2. I believe I get more nutrition from raw foods than cooked foods. (Yes, cooked tomatoes have more lycopene than raw tomatoes and are the exception always cited, but I eat a LOT of raw tomatoes and just how much lycopene does a person need, anyway?)

3. I find it very easy to eat raw because I don't make complicated raw recipes. Mono-eating fruit or making a salad is faster than cooking.

4. Although this wouldn't apply to you, when I eat foods that are high in fat and/or high in protein, I get indigestion and acid reflux. When I eat low fat and low protein, I don't. (I have always had good digestive health until about a year and a half ago.)

My favorite raw vegan

Date: October 01, 2010 01:45AM

Trive, I can see why that would lead you to this lifestyle. I am having a hard time feeling motivated right now because we are in sweater weather! If I lived near the Equator or somewhere where it was always balmy or moderate temps, it would be way easier but it's like macrobiotics--seasonal cravings! Heavy foods for fall and winter like root veggies. Soups are sooo comforting, also, and so easy to pop in a pot. I also cannot imagine eating a low-fat diet. I wish it wasn't so complicated sometimes!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 01, 2010 01:46AM

On 100%: Maybe there's really not a huge reason for anyone to go all-out 100% raw unless/until they themselves find some strong motivation within themselves to do it. Not having that kind of motivation can make a 100% raw food diet extremely difficult.

For some people, it might be the difference they feel in their physical health. Others might be sensitive to a more positive environmental impact. And for others, it might be a combination of factors, or whatever.

The difference for me personally between cooked food and raw food (health-wise) is total night and day. But it might not be that way for you, especially if you're already feeling good.

If you and your partner do feel really good where you're already at, then maybe you're perfectly fine doing what you're already doing. I just think it's best left completely up to you to find your own reasons, whatever those reasons might turn out to be.

On going "high" raw: There's really no reason for anyone not to go high raw, if the food is available. It's better for you than low or moderate raw, and it's not difficult. I really can't think of a single reason not to do it.

Whatever you decide, I hope you'll stay vegan, for the sake of the critters and the planet. And I hope you stick around here. I enjoy your sage insights smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 01:48AM by suncloud.

Date: October 01, 2010 02:00AM

Aw Suncloud, what a sweet thing to say! I guess I read all you talking about what you're eating every day and don't feel like I am in the same ballpark! And I think one great reason to go 100% raw, at least for a specific length of time, is for purification. Also to let go of habits like caffeine and refined sugar. That is why I come here-to get inspired. I just take it all in. Thank you and thank everyone who posts here. I learn so much from your successes, as well as setbacks!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 01, 2010 03:22AM

I can't think of any reason not to, aside from addictions to cooked food. But that's just my experience.

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: October 01, 2010 03:44AM

Because there is no other way to eat. I don't believe anyone needs to exclude all cooked food to be healthy, which is why my diet is made up of lots of fruit, vegetables, greens, and when I want it, healthy, real, fresh, not raw food. Sometimes that means tofu or hummus or Lara Bars or quinoa. It feels good. I just ALWAYS exclude sugar, preservatives, food coloring, chemicals, and whatnot. It makes sense to eat this way to me and I probably always will. I don't deprive myself and I don't have stupid rules. I just know what not to put in my body. Eating this way gives me a lot of energy, mental clarity, physical benefits, improved sleep, and a calmer overall state.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: October 01, 2010 06:47AM

banana who,

Your one objection to raw foods concerning sprouting raw seeds for a future pate goes away if you opt to eat fresh fruits and salads rather than making the gourmet raw foods.

For every benefit of the raw food diet that exists it is possible for your mind (or anyone else's) to come up with reasons why it can't be done. To eat all raw, you need to have the internal desire, because without it, there are tons of reasons to not do it.

For me, while I didn't think I was that unhealthy before going raw, what I found after going all raw was that I achieved a level of health I had long since forgotten. I liked the way being raw felt. And I did have health challenges, most of which I didn't realize I had until they went away. My mind (as did society in general) told me that the symptoms I was experiencing was just part of the process of growing old.

So try going all raw and see how you feel. You may find that you quite like it.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 01, 2010 07:18AM

Bananawho, there are some reasons here.

www.rawforlife.co.uk

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 01, 2010 02:50PM

After being 100% raw for a length of time I simply found it wasn't for me. I became so sensitive to my environment that it was painful to be around cars, people wearing perfumes, stores selling endless plastic crap, etc etc etc. I felt much better with the addition of some healthy cooked foods, it grounded me in a way that was beneficial and healthy. I don't personally think that 100% raw is neccessary for amazingly good health but I did try it myself before making that decision. There's only one way to see what works best for you and that's to do it yourself!

Date: October 01, 2010 10:57PM

Prana: I hear you. When I was nearing 40, I began to feel the joint tighening and even with holistic self-education, my initial attitude was that it was a normal part of aging! And I know that when I have eliminated coffee or some other acidic element, I am amazed at how loose-limbed I am. So I can just imagine how it would improve with only raw. Ditto for brain fog, which becomes normalized when you live with it day in and day out. Very inspiring message you have given me.

You too, Coco. I need to know that I can still be healthy and not be "perfect" in rawness. I am not sure when I will try to do the 100% (just to see how I feel). It's fall and winter is coming up. Maybe when the weather makes it easier to do it. In the summer I crave water-rich foods. But in the meantime, I want to try and eliminate processed sugar and other stuff that I think would be an improvement.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 02, 2010 03:32AM

your topic post says " gimme just one good reason"

only reason i can think of is : desire

if that is what you desire to experience, you do it

if you don't desire to experience that, you don't do it

that's the only "good" reason i can think of

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables