Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Digestive issues..
Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: October 02, 2010 08:52PM

For the past week now I've been bloated and gassy. My stomach just feels airy and inflated to the point that all my clothes are tight! Both my upper and lower abdomen. I'm actually going to the bathroom more frequently than usual so it's not constipation.

I tried fasting and just drinking water and then carrot juice and all it did was make me burp..which I am doing alot. Feels acid reflux-ish cause acidy-tastes are in my throat.

I don't know what to eat or not to eat. Food makes it worse but it doesn't go away when I stop.

Any suggestions? I'm usually one of those people that can eat almost anything without any digestive side effects so I don't know what happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2010 08:55PM by BackAgain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Digestive issues..
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: October 02, 2010 10:02PM

Try mono eating whole foods rather than drinking juice. This means just one kind of food per meal, say like eating 6 oranges for breakfast, melon for lunch, and for dinner enough bananas to satisfy you.

Bloated and gassy is a sign of food that is too complex to digest. Make sure when you eat a meal, that your stomach is completely empty from the previous meal. If you had a hard to digest meal, it might require 4 to 6 to 8 hours to fully digest that meal.

On the other hand, a meal of just oranges might only take 2 hours to digest.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: October 02, 2010 10:06PM

Other things that affect digestion besides food combinations include the following:

Eat when relaxed. If you are stressed or anxious, you won't have good digestion. Also, if you are experiencing strong emotions, wait until the emotions subside before you try to eat. If you are stressed, perhaps try some deep diaphragmatic breathing or a gentle yoga practice before eating.

Also, over eating will affect your ability to digest. Eat enough to feel satisfied. Going beyond satisfaction and into the realm of over eating will hamper digestion.

Don't drink water within an hour or so of eating. Don't drink water while you are eating and while your food is digesting.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 03, 2010 12:04AM

I used to get that when eating too many sprouted legumes. I had to fast or cut right down on food until it went away.

If you're burping a lot then there's still food in the stomach (unless it's contracting), so I wouldn't be eating unless the stomach is already empty.

How long did you fast for?

Heavy fat digestion in the gut can also delay digestion and hold food up in the stomach which normally shouldn't spend long there.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: October 05, 2010 03:45AM

Thanks Prana - Took your advice and went with apples. I continued with the burping but I noticed it was making things move faster and clean me out more so I kept eating them throughout the day. Slowed down by the end of the day and gone the next. grinning smiley

Lee - I only started fasting hoping whatever was rotting in my system would digest and finish. Figure about 10 hours from evening..then sleep..then morning and lasted another 5 hours or so before I got too hungry and ate again.

Still burping every now and then..it's just much, much less.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 05, 2010 08:46AM

Bloating can be a sign of low stomach acid, you should give bitter herbs on the back of a tongue a quick shot to see if it helps with digestion any.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: October 05, 2010 01:07PM

Powerlifer- Which bitter herbs do you recomend for low stomach acid and digestion?

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 05, 2010 01:18PM

Any bitter herb is fine workoutman, they all work in the way aslong as they come in contact with the back of your tongue(bitter receptors).

Right now at my store i have andrographis which is nicknamed the "king of bitters" but really any herb with bitter properties has similar action, although the more bitter the better. Other bitter herbs are gentian, dandelion, bupleurum Root, milk thistle. These are my favorites as they dont contain berberine or have stimulant laxative properties such as rhubarb that the swedish bitter formulas contain.

You only need a pinch on the tongue pre meal so you dont need to buy pounds of the herb either. Remember to up your water as they cleanse the liver very effectively and you may get some die-off short term.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables