Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw in cold weather (AB, CA)?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 02, 2010 11:10PM

Hello,

I am new to raw food and making the transition. I am mostly raw, but will do better when I can get groceries.

Anyways, I am wondering how to do raw in cold weather. I see alot of people mention fruits and stuff.. but realistically that is more for a hot weather climate. In Edmonton, Ab we don't have any local fruits (cept maybe apples) when the weather gets cold.( and by that I mean local fruits that haven't been transported and losing essential minerals and vitamins for the week long or plus trek from California) So what do you recommend?

I have been contemplating sprouting, because it's live and I can do it indoors despite weather.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw in cold weather (AB, CA)?
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 03, 2010 03:21AM

I live on the Prairies, too, and though I have tried two times, I can't do 100% raw in winter. Even in summer, I like a bit of cooked food. But you may be different. Best of luck.

Even as a child, I was not awfully strong. I am better now (no major issues) but still not tough enough to tolerate lots of raw in winter. I have outdoor chores to do, etc. Doesn't matter if it goes to 25 below, they still need to be done. There is no way I can be in such cold for an hour at a time, warmly-dressed as I may be, then come in and eat all raw food. I need hot cooked beans or potatoes or something. However, summer is quite another matter.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: October 03, 2010 09:06AM

In New England there's not much either locally grown. My organic carrots come from California, organic kale from Texas, coconuts from the Dominican Republic. My backyard dandelion, chives, potatoes and local seaweed are about the best thing going for me, eaten raw as much as possible though not as a purist. Juiced or blended carrots are more "warming" than carrot sticks, IMO. Iodized or home-made sea salt goes on the very low sodium raw foods which is most of them.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 04, 2010 08:43PM

Thank you for the responses. I am realizing that this is my journey.. not some final destination point.. so I am taking it easy and slowly easing into it. I do not make a big deal of myself if some food is cooked... because I think if I become negative with myself it will cause me to stop the process altogether.

As for in the winter... true carrots would be good. I don't have a juicer or an amazing blender yet.. but I am sure I can figure something out. smiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 04, 2010 11:14PM

i sympathize with the above im in vancouver, bc canada and suffer some of the above setbacks , but its quite a bit more temperate here most years but i really wish my home garden season was quite a bit longer ! smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: lacombe ()
Date: October 06, 2010 01:24PM

i live just north of red deer as you can tell by my nic...it is much harder in winter and over the years i just realize that we will eat some cooked...we usually try and keep it to oatmeal with berries and we make veggie soup...i also use cayenne on many of my salads. having some flexibility has helped.

if you are new to raw you may find some weight loss and may feel that more in the winter. i'm a big guy...200 lbs but even a 5 lb loss of weight makes me feel the cold more.

cheers

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 06, 2010 02:05PM

As loeve has said seaweeds are a good option for keeping your thyroid in tip top condition which regulates your body temperature.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables