Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

low-fat protein sources
Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: October 06, 2010 05:47PM

Can anyone suggest some low-fat protein sources? I had some raw cabbage the other night for the first time. I enjoyed it very much and when I put it into my nutridiary, I saw that it is very high in protein (20%). Any other good sources?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: low-fat protein sources
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 06, 2010 05:51PM

Seaweeds are a good low fat protein source.

Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: October 06, 2010 06:41PM

That's a good one!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: October 06, 2010 06:53PM

kale juice, 7 grams of protein per cup,
lentil sprouts, 7 grams of protein per cup
medium avocado, 5 grams of protein each , only 17 percent fat calories
corn, 5 grams per cup
peas, 8 grams per cup
dried spirulina, 68 grams of protein per cup
mung bean sprouts, 3 grams of protein per cup, 4 percent fat calories
pea sprouts, 11 gram of protein per cup, 4 percent fat calories

source: Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets, Davis & Melina.

Date: October 06, 2010 06:59PM

Spirulina, chlorella and that are all great, i just left them out as some people dont consider them "food" but yeah there a great source of amino acids, aswell as the rest vitamins, minerals etc.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 06, 2010 07:00PM

When I entered cabbage into cron-o-meter it gave it as 12%. Most fruit comes out below 10% I think

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 06, 2010 07:22PM

leafy greens

Date: October 06, 2010 08:13PM

These are just percentages of the weight of the food if im correct though. These amounts could still be really low.

Pborst list is good, i forgot kale juice was so high in protein, the only problem being that because it isnt cooked the goitrogens are still there and will interfere with thyroid function.

Pea sprouts and avocado also have impressive protein content.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 07, 2010 12:07AM

Spinach

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 08, 2010 12:42AM

You eat raw corn? How do you make it tasty?

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 08, 2010 01:58AM

I like sprinkling fresh corn kernels in a salad.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: October 08, 2010 02:08AM

Don’t add oils or protein powders to your smoothie or it will slow down digestion and understand that there is plenty of protein in the greens themselves. The daily protein requirement (RDA) is 0.36 (grams) multiplied by your body weight. That translates to about 44 grams for a 120-pound woman and 54 grams for a 150-pound male. Keep in mind that breast milk is only about 5-8 percent protein. Nuts and seeds which we normally think of as having more protein than vegetables actually have less protein, eg: spinach-49%, broccoli-45%, lettuce-34%, cauliflower-40%, kale-45%, zucchini-28%, cabbage-22%, Chinese cabbage-34%, Mung bean sprouts-43%, soybean sprouts-54%, bamboo shoots-39%. Compare the greens protein levels with the following: wheat germ-31%, whole wheat-17%, buckwheat-18%, oats-15%, brown rice-8%, navy beans-26%, mushrooms-38%, hemp seeds 37%, pumpkin seeds-21%, walnuts-13%, pecans-5%, filberts-8%.

Date: October 08, 2010 10:04AM

Ive seen this breast milk is only 5-8 percent protein quote many a time on raw forums now, does it come from a book or something?

We have to realise for the most of us were growing adults not 8 pound newly born who require much less nutrients than a growing healthy adult.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 08, 2010 06:25PM

Regarding need for protein.

It is true that, technically speaking, we need .36 gram multiplied by body weight. But why don't they tell you that protein and carb have to be in balance: the more carb you eat, the more protein you need. Otherwise, your body will suffer.

Okay, that's easy enough - in theory. Just avoid all those carbs. to avoid "needing" a lot of protein. Well, if you eat mainly vegetables, you won't get enough calories and you will feel hungry. At least most people will. And on it goes. So, wanting to avoid grain - as so many do - you rely on fruit. But fruit is carb, too. So, we've come full circle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables