Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Foods that are more nutritious/less toxic when cooked
Posted by: Jonathan Barlow ()
Date: October 08, 2010 06:49PM

I hear tomatoes have more lycopene when cooked, and potatoes are very toxic when raw. Any other vegetables (or grains, legumes, etc) that have benefits when cooked?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2010 06:49PM by Jonathan Barlow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foods that are more nutritious/less toxic when cooked
Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 08, 2010 06:53PM

They say that members of the cabbage family are better for you when cooked. Dark leafy greens certainly are - such as kale, collards, mustard greens, etc. But taste-wise, there's nothing wrong with cole slaw or raw kohlrabi.

Also larger bean sprouts may be more digestible when cooked. Smaller ones probably better raw.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: October 08, 2010 06:59PM

Jonathan Barlow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hear tomatoes have more lycopene when cooked,
> and potatoes are very toxic when raw. Any other
> vegetables (or grains, legumes, etc) that have
> benefits when cooked?

There is a whole section on "Becoming Raw" by Melina and Davis. Sometimes, it's a tradeoff with some nutrients becoming more available and others becoming less available. But in general, and this is from memory. Carrots, onions, brocolli have some benefits (and some losses) when cooked, and by cooked, I mean conservatively cooked, steamed, boiled or blanched, not baked, broiled, fried or roasted.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: October 08, 2010 07:22PM

Im sure ive read carrots also increase nutrition the beta carotene content when cooked.

On a different note i never eat/juice any vegetable raw that has goitrogens unless lightly steamed for 10 minutes to inactivate the goitrogens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2010 07:24PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 09, 2010 12:25AM

I would not say that tomatoes or carrots are more nutritious when cooked. Increasing the amount of nutrient in food, while killing many others makes no nutritional sense.

There are some foods that are toxic when raw, but edible when cooked. My guess would be that those foods that toxic or inedible raw, are probably not meant for human consumption anyway. Of course, humans have to eat.

As far as lycopene, there is more of it in sundried tomatoes than cooked ones (see [cat.inist.fr] for example).

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 09, 2010 06:03AM

Jonathan, nothing is 'better for us cooked', and if potatoes are toxic in their natural state, that's telling us that they aren't food for us.

For reasons why I say these things, please see this article. It covers tomatoes and lycopene and 'the usuals'!

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2010 06:04AM by debbietook.

Date: October 09, 2010 03:49PM

Thanks. "More nutritious" was bad phrasing. I mean to ask, what foods can be eaten cooked that should not be eaten raw (due to toxicity, etc.), and what foods have nutritional benefits in a cooked state, that are lacking in their raw state?

Perhaps it is best to eat 100% raw, but I might experiment with some cooked food, and wanted to make use of the experience by consuming foods which have particular benefits in a cooked state, or which simply can never be eaten raw. I see some good suggestions up above. A soup with dark greens or some steamed broccoli might be a nice break from raw once in a while, if need be. I don't particularly enjoy eating raw kale or raw broccoli anyway.

Posted by: pineapplegirl ()
Date: October 10, 2010 07:03PM

what is up with goitrogens? I drink a raw juice of celery, kale, and broccoli,

Is that filled with goitrogens? I dont like those particular veggies in a

solid form, so I have them juiced. But I do like steamed broccoli, can not

eat it raw.

Date: October 11, 2010 01:19AM

Dang! I love the taste and crunch of raw celery!

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 12, 2010 12:21AM

Nothing wrong with raw celery! It's the best thing in the universe for you, as far as I'm concerned. I would guess that as a blood pressure remedy (folk medicine) it is even better raw than when it's cooked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables