Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Enzymes and evolving from the slave body
Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: October 30, 2010 11:10PM

ENZYMES

Relying on sugar, drugs and stimulants for energy is like breaking into Heaven to steal the Stone. Enzymes are needed to break down the slave body and reconstruct the sovereign body. Thus enzymes and raw food are a source of “real” energy and structure for building the Stone.

Enzymes are responsible for all activity in life, even thought. The capacity of a living organism to make enzymes diminishes with age, and so the digestive and metabolic processes loose much of their power as we age, and so old age is the state of enzyme poverty. Digestion of food takes a high priority and has a high demand for enzymes. Raw foods provide these enzymes that naturally break down food for proper absorption. Without proper enzyme production and hydrochloric acid production the body has a difficult time digesting food, often resulting in the malabsorption and a variety of chronic digestive disorders that are exacerbated with aging. Metabolic enzymes need constant replenishment for the structuring, repair and remodeling of every cell. When the pancreas enlarges in order to produce more digestive enzymes to digest cooked food, there becomes a deficiency in the production of life-sustaining metabolic enzymes, as available enzyme-producing capacity is used in digesting food, instead of supporting cellular enzymatic functions.

Cooking of food, particularly if heat is prolonged and over 118 degrees Fahrenheit, destroys the living enzymes. This lack of enzymes lays the foundation for the metabolic syndrome encompassing all degenerative disease. By middle age we become metabolically depleted of enzymes leading to the shrinkage and atrophication of the organs and brain. Many digestive disorders such as bloating, constipation, leaky gut, candida etc… may be related to an enzyme deficit that begins in middle age. Symptoms related to dyspepsia (indigestion), including heartburn, flatulence, belching and the appearance of undigested food in stool, may suggest enzyme deficiency since these symptoms could be caused by the improper digestion of food, which would occur with a deficiency of digestive enzymes. Badly digested food can burden our body and so plentiful enzymes are essential in the detoxification process and preventing autointoxication. detoxification is not one reaction, but rather a process that involves multiple reactions and multiple players. The inability to remove toxins from the body is the main cause of a range of chronic conditions and diseases, and there is no healing process in the body that can happen with the absent of enzymes.

My digestion has improved since I started taking Papain (papaya) and Bromelain (pineapple) enzymes from herbalcom.com. I mix them together and put the enzymes in a salt shaker to sprinkle on food; plus I put 1/4 tsp in my bottles of water that I drink throughout the day. The enzymes prevent the stagnation and fermentation of food in the GI tract which prevents the conditions that foster yeasts and parasites, as well as bad bacteria and viruses in the bowel. With the extra enzymes food is digested, assimilated and eliminated faster and so the immune system is stronger and helps to maintain ecological balance. Best thing for lymphatic drainage is rebounding...and probably Bromelain and papain and plenty of water for making lymph less morbid and sticky. You can also mix the enzymes with water or aloe and put on your face overnight for a deep cleanse and exfoliating resurfacing of your skin.

Papain is a cysteine protease enzyme present in papaya. It has been used for thousands of years in its native South America for breaking down tough meat fibers. Within10-minutes papain begins breaking down the extracellular matrix molecules holding the cells together. It is found in some drug detox products as papain has been known to destroy THC (active chemical in marijuana). Topical drug ointments containing papain are used to remove dead or contaminated tissue in acute and chronic lesions, such as diabetic ulcers, pressure ulcers, varicose ulcers, and traumatic infected wounds. Papain can also be found as an ingredient in some toothpastes or mints as teeth-whitener. Papain is usually collected after scoring the neck of the unripened fruit where the latex may either dry on the fruit or drip into a container.

Bromelain can refer to one of two protease enzymes extracted from the pineapple family (Bromeliaceae). The proteolytic enzymes are referred to as sulfhydryl proteases. Bromelain is sold in a powdered form, which is combined with a marinade, or directly sprinkled on the uncooked meat to use for meat tenderizing. In vitro research has shown that bromelain decreases migration of neutrophils to sites of acute inflammation, hence is a potential anti-inflammatory agent. Bromelain may also work as an anti-inflammatory by blocking some proinflammatory metabolites. Preliminary studies have shown that enzyme treatment may reduce side effects of chemotherapy, including nausea, weight loss and fatigue. In addition, the enzyme bromelain has been found to increase the production of a host of different immune system messenger molecules, including cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-1-beta and interleukin-6. Bromelain and papain are useful for treating arthritis, cataracts, growths, reduce scar tissue formation and as blood thinners and anticogagulants.

Kiwifruit—Raw kiwifruit is rich in the protein-dissolving enzyme actinidin, (in the same family of thiol proteases as papain), which is commercially useful as a meat tenderizer. Health properties of actinidin include anti-inflammatory, anticancer, anti-calcium and mucoid plague, digestive aid. In Abbott, Koryoku, Kuimi and Sinzan, both actinidin concentration and protease activity in the juice were significantly higher than those of Hayward, the most common cultivar of kiwifruit. A study performed at the University of Oslo in Norway revealed that—similar to aspirin therapy—consuming two to three kiwifruit daily for 28 days significantly reduced platelet aggregation and blood triglyceride levels, potentially reducing the risk of blood clots. Actinidin can be an allergen for some individuals, with the most common symptoms include itching of the mouth, lips and palate. Kiwifruit could be a good source of proteinases in countries which do not grow papaya and pineapple.

Enzymes derived from the Aspergillus oryzae fungus used in the production of soy sauce, miso and sake may be highly useful as they appear to be remarkably stable, even when subjected to the acidic environment of the stomach.

“Digestive enzyme therapy is used to improve digestion of food, reduce stress on the gastrointestinal mucosa, help maintain normal pH levels, detoxify the body and promote the growth of healthy intestinal flora, all factors that can affect enzyme activity.” The complete book of enzyme therapy, Anthony J. Cichoke

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Enzymes and evolving from the slave body
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 31, 2010 08:06PM

Unfortunately, modern nutrition science "pooh-poohs" the notion that raw food enzymes contribute significantly to digestion. This is because most food enzymes can't survive the pH of stomach acids. Likewise, the theory of "leukocytosis" from cooked foods has never been validated.

Raw foods opponents present the enzyme argument as an example of how raw foodists base their dietary beliefs on faulty information, rather than scientific "fact".

Definitely though, many of us raw fooders know there is something significantly different between an all raw/high raw vegan diet and even a "healthy" vegan diet.

In Becoming Raw, Brenda Davis, RD and Vesanto Melina, MS, RD devote an entire chapter to "The Enzyme Theory". On page 218, the authors make an interesting point: that food is stored in an upper portion of the stomach for an average of 40 minutes before it passes to the lower stomach where "most food enzymes will be deactivated or completely denatured by stomach acid". According to the authors, "The more pressing question is: what is the significance of this predigestive action to the entire digestive process?"

Apparently, science, as yet, simply does not know. It seems to me that it's very possible that live food enzymes could provide some vital service in helping to set up the digestive process to follow, while still being stored in the upper stomach.

I think another very interesting path of research involves the role of vitamins as "coenzymes" and/or as precursors to organic cofactors.

"Vitamins can serve as precursors to many organic cofactors (e.g. vitamins B1, B2, B6, B12, niacin, folic acid) or as coenzymes themselves (e.g. vitamin C)."

[en.wikipedia.org])

Here's an interesting quote from: [www.biologyreference.com]

"The B vitamins act as part of coenzymes, small molecules that combine with an enzyme to make it active. Enzymes are proteins responsible for catalyzing most chemical reactions in the body, such as digesting food and synthesizing new compounds. The B vitamins riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, pantothenic acid, and biotin help the body use protein, fat, and carbohydrate to produce energy for the body's cells."

There's little controversy surrounding claims that vitamins can be damaged and/or destroyed by cooking. According to Colorado State University, cooking damages or destroys Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, and Folate. These vitamins are all essential for food/energy metabolism and other closely related functions.

[www.ext.colostate.edu]

And apart from limiting the vitamins' healthy functioning, how does the function of the damaged/altered vitamins then change after cooking, and how do those changes affect our bodies?

Could further research into the role of vitamins as coenzymes eventually lead to a new understanding of the inherent value of a raw food diet?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 08:09PM by suncloud.

Date: October 31, 2010 10:56PM

The value of a rawfood diet is readily apparent by the pandemic of physical, mental, emotional and spiritual disease in the human species. No other animal is so plagued.

My food is only starting to become digested properly having started up on enzymes again.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: October 31, 2010 11:06PM

Pre-digestion is also discussed in rawfoodexplained (how digestion works). That helps validate enzyme theory for me, the half hour or so our food sits in the stomach while the body is deciding how to proceed, during which plant enzymes can do whatever they do. Then stomach reaction varies; many raw foods, like a mono watermelon meal, might pass through without facing much an acidic environment and so have their enzymes left intact. Hacres had a compelling study done which included a positive review of studies on enzyme therapy.

The Oslo study referenced by janabanana speaks of non-elucidated processes possibly accounting for favorable gene expression in response to a high antioxidant or three-kiwi/day intervention study --

"The effects on gene expression observed in this intervention study may therefore be attributed not only to phytochemicals but also to other dietary compounds acting via several different mechanisms. However, as similar effects are exerted by the kiwifruit diet, it is plausible to suggest that the observed modulation is mediated mainly by plant-based compounds."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] (Discussion)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 11:15PM by loeve.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: November 01, 2010 04:33AM

Jana,

Are you saying you can only digest raw foods with enzyme supplementation?

Date: November 01, 2010 10:23AM

From the Hacres/Donaldson 2004 cancer study --

Oral Enzymes
Many people diagnosed with cancer have digestion or intestinal tract disorders as well. Impaired digestion will greatly hinder a nutritional approach to treating cancer. If the nutrients cannot be released from the food and taken up by the body, then the excellent food provided by the Hallelujah Diet will go to waste. Digestive enzyme supplements are used to ensure proper and adequate digestion of food. Even raw foods, which contain many digestive enzymes to assist in their digestion, will be more thoroughly digested with less of the body's own resources with the use of digestive enzymes. So, the enzymes taken with meals do not have a direct effect upon a tumor, but assist the body in getting all of the nutrition out of the food for healing and restoring the body to normal function. Recently, an in vitro system was used to test the use of supplemental digestive enzymes. The digestive enzymes improved the digestibility and bioaccessibility of proteins and carbohydrates in the lumen of the small intestine, not only under impaired digestive conditions, but also in healthy human digestion [168].

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Date: November 01, 2010 12:15PM

loeve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From the Hacres/Donaldson 2004 cancer study --
>
> ...Recently,
> an in vitro system was used to test the use of
> supplemental digestive enzymes. The digestive
> enzymes improved the digestibility and
> bioaccessibility of proteins and carbohydrates in
> the lumen of the small intestine, not only under
> impaired digestive conditions, but also in healthy
> human digestion [168].
>
> [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
> /?tool=pmcentrez

Re in vitro versus in vivo studies, I prefer in vivo because it's done with living beings, preferably human studies. The in vitro experiments are fine but they are like test tube studies or done with these machines that simulate human digestion, which I guess is easier to study in some ways and so maybe better.. who knows. In Donaldson's review I might have worded that part differently.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2010 12:27PM by loeve.

Date: November 01, 2010 01:11PM

My digestion has never been that good...stressful childhood, limited food choices, eating alone, food escape and pasterized almonds. I am not even eating raw anymore to increase the "range" in my food choices. I'll go raw again when I leave the USA. Meantime enzymes greatly help with making sure food is "enzymatically" digested, rather than held up in transit and fermented by pathogens. This lowers the candida and bad bacteria load on the body, and reduces toxin production and provides more energy for life.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 01, 2010 04:18PM

Janabanana,

Great post; this is a topic I try to avoid because of all the conflicting, or rather, incomplete data. I appreciate your effort to bring it to the fore again, and what you are going through healthwise, and I wish you total attainment of optimum health.

loeve,

Thanks for those excerpts/links--they further elucidate this complex subject smiling smiley

Date: November 02, 2010 10:51AM

Tamukha Wrote:
> Janabanana,
>
> Great post; this is a topic I try to avoid because
> of all the conflicting, or rather, incomplete
> data.

Unexplored data maybe? Re bromelain (pineapples) --

"Intravital microscopy demonstrated that although in vivo bromelain treatment transiently decreased leukocyte rolling, its primary long-term effect was abrogation of firm adhesion of leukocytes to blood vessels at the site of inflammation." [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

If I had the time there are 500 more references to bromelain at pubmed. Mainstream medicine is catching up with what indigenous people have known intuitively, that certain plants are helpful.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 02, 2010 11:34AM

loeve,

Mainstream medicine is catching up with what indigenous people have known intuitively, that certain plants are helpful.

Well it's about darn time! smiling smiley

Date: November 02, 2010 11:47AM

I was just looking at the full text [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] of that article wondering if the study was supportive or critical. It's supportive of bromelain as having anti-inflammatory properties. Some question whether inflammation is good or bad and I suppose it can be either depending on the situation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 11:50AM by loeve.

Date: November 02, 2010 04:29PM

In cases of extreme stress, the higher brain seems to protect the gut by sending signals to immunological mast cells. The mast cells secrete histamine, prostaglandin and other agents that help produce inflammation. By inflaming the gut, the brain is priming the gut for surveillance, unfortunately, the chemicals that also get released cause maldigestion, diarrhea, cramping and inflammation. Chronic inflammation is systemic in a cooked body; especially with meat, dairy and cereals in the diet. Inflammation of the GI tract and other body tissues means that metabolism is impaired along with energy production. This also reduces the efficiency of the immune system, which in turn leads to greater pathogen attack and increased inflammation. The only way out of this cycle of disease is to get off the inflammation train.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 04:33PM by Janabanana.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: November 03, 2010 02:40AM

Yes, thanks for this thread Janabanana. So interesting! And thanks for all the great links Loeve!

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 03, 2010 05:07AM

loeve Wrote:
> Hacres had a compelling
> study done which included a positive review of
> studies on enzyme therapy.
> ...
> [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
> 9/?tool=pmcentrez (Discussion)

If anyone is in doubt about your enzyme uptake, there IS a solution... winking smiley
From the article:

Enzymes, especially proteases, if they reach systemic circulation, can have direct anti-tumor activity. Wald et al [170] reported on the anti-metastatic effect of enzyme supplements. Mice inoculated with the Lewis lung carcinoma were treated with a proteolytic enzyme supplement, given rectally (to avoid digestion). The primary tumor was cut out, so that the metastatic spread of the cancer could be measured. After surgical removal of the primary tumor (day 0), 90% of the control mice died by day 18 due to metastasized tumors. In the first group, which received the rectal enzyme supplement from the time of the tumor-removal surgery, 30% of the mice had died from metastasized cancer by day 25. In the second group, which received the enzymes from 6 days prior to removal of the primary tumor, only 10% of the animals showed the metastatic process by day 15. In the third group, which received the enzyme treatment since the initial inoculation of the Lewis lung carcinoma, no metastatic spread of the tumor was discernible. One hundred day-survival rates for the control, first, second, and third groups were 0, 60%, 90%, and 100%. [unquote]

Date: November 03, 2010 10:36AM

RocketShip

That's so sad.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: November 03, 2010 02:09PM

"My digestion has improved since I started taking Papain (papaya) and Bromelain (pineapple) enzymes from herbalcom.com"

Why not just eat the raw food that is the source of the product, papaya and pineaples are enjoyable to eat raw. Or this a promotion for a product?

Date: November 03, 2010 02:23PM

Yep I totally promote herbalcom.com and the enzymes as they are so cheap and don't have any fillers or sugar in them.
I try not to eat much tropical fruit to keep my sugar level down...also you can't get decent papaya and pineapple on the mainland US. Taking enzymes in your drinking water all day allows a deeper cleansing of the body. Also papain is made from the latex of the green papaya...

Date: November 03, 2010 03:04PM

There should be local foods that rich in enzymes otherwise nature will be totally unwise

Date: November 03, 2010 07:32PM

As you get older, it seems that food takes more out of you than it puts in. US mainland food in stores is rather plastic, even the organics. Till I get to a place where I can grow remineralized permacultural alchemical food...sprinkling enzymes in food, smoothies and water is a great alternative...and vastly cheaper than buying a lot of food that makes you fat and gives you candida.
Anyways I love my "powered" enzymes...and will try and encourage NZ to make kiwi fruit dried enzymes also.

Date: November 03, 2010 09:41PM

Are these "powered" enzymes alive or they spring to life once in the body?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables