Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cooking show rant
Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 03, 2010 04:57PM

I have always loved to watch cooking shows on TV. Sometimes I find myself getting disgusted as they cook the food to oblivion. I just watched a show that turned beautiful crispy veggies into a backened mushy mess and poured it over the top of a hideously blackened meat. Yuck!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cooking show rant
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 03, 2010 05:01PM

hhaha me too i used to love watching those shows now i just become dismayed lol, i wish someone would start up salad network tv grinning smiley

we seriously need some vegan reality shows out there grinning smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: November 03, 2010 05:34PM

lol this post made me think of TshirtHell's new shirt..

I could never watch cooking shows. Even on cooked they make things to fancy and complicated. And yeah.. vegetables just look deformed and disgusting.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 03, 2010 08:07PM

My mother in law likes to watch cooking shows, but says she would never fuss that much over food. I think she likes to get ideas of things to try. She likes endive raw however, and she got a large box of mandarins to eat out of hand. But she didn't like all the seeds and peeling them, so she said she would never do that again.

I peeled some apples for her the other night so she could make a pie. That was a bit different, as she usually likes to get some pre made stuff from the supermarket.

I used to be so appauled at Julia Child, putting cream, eggs and butter on everything, that was when full fat was rather out of style, even for 'sad', but its made a come back for whatever reason.

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: November 05, 2010 01:36AM

i love watching cooking shows and travel shows but they are so focused on meat meat and more meat... I've thought a travel show bases on the idea of traveling as a vegetarian in all it's derivations ... I think that would be interesting because it can be difficult for a vegetarian to travel especially the raw vegan... and those competitive cooking shows... I would love to see them have to cook vegetarian... it doesn't surprise me that these top notch chefs can cook meat but what can they do veggies only... raw veggies only... besides a veggie cooking show would be great for those that don't know what to do when there son's new girlfriend comes to dinner and she's vegan duh duhn... how does one go about pitching such a concept to the food and travel show people... haha... reality tv proclaimed meat only eaters forced to live the some extreme raw foodists... it could be funny... i'm in a stream of consciousness here... I'll stop now...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: Swayze ()
Date: November 05, 2010 12:23PM

I used to watch Food Network all the time! I especially loved the cake competition shows (I was actually an aspiring cake decorator and planned to open up my own bakery).

Once I went vegan, it became more difficult to watch because, as luvyuu mentioned, everything was about "meat, meat, and more meat"! And eating this way is promoted as healthy! :rolls eyese:

Swayze
[www.fitonraw.com]

Date: November 06, 2010 08:27PM

Some guy at a resturant absolutely loved when I requested a raw dish. The chef actually came out to see who I was. I was so surprised! He said he was always up to prepare something special for someone with particular needs or food choices. I am so glad he liked it. He made something with some root vegetable that tasted like oysters, and it was totally vegan.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 06, 2010 09:13PM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some guy at a resturant absolutely loved when I
> requested a raw dish. The chef actually came out
> to see who I was. I was so surprised! He said he
> was always up to prepare something special for
> someone with particular needs or food choices. I
> am so glad he liked it. He made something with
> some root vegetable that tasted like oysters, and
> it was totally vegan.

Thats a good chefsmiling smiley, i wish more were as accommodating to us with special food needs/allergies etc. Although i guess many chefs are worked off there feet preparing the set menu alot of the time. But the smaller restaurants/cafes should have no problems.

Date: November 06, 2010 09:30PM

Powerlifter,
I was surprised, because it was a rather large resturant. "Blue waters" in Vancouver, BC. I find Canadians to be generally more enlightened and aware of people with special needs or wants in a lot of areas in life.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 06, 2010 09:37PM

Nice one, i really want to visit Canada some day soon, is that where you live Mislu?

What style of restaurant was it? Here in Scotland even if you ask to make a vegan or back when i was a vegetarian dish gluten free you got some disgust or told no. Which put me off eating out.

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: November 07, 2010 11:14PM

I *love* these awful shows. Paula Deen the butter queen is farcical and the Contessa is a messa. I watch them in awe that anyone eats this way. I guess if I really thought many people took them seriously it would be sad, but to me it's pure comedy, and often a reminder why I'm eating a salad. smiling smiley

Paula is in on the joke. She's clearly gotten complaints about the unhealthiness of her meals and frequently jokes about needing her bit of greens as she garnishes her diabetes on a plate with a sprig of mint or double deep fried coronary with a green onion. Her best show ever is when she made her krispy kreme bacon and egg burger, chocolate chip pancakes with ice cream, and cheese grits as one brunch meal.

Ina is a snobbier version of Paula with the same morbid butter obsession and has no problem putting 3 sticks of butter into 4 individual servings and suggesting that be served with a dessert that has 2 more sticks of butter. Plus, every time the florist comes on I get to see Stuart Smalley again.

PBS has much better cooking shows (with actual chefs!) than Food Network, but is still meat obsessed. Maybe we should try writing to some shows and asking for some changes. I would love to see America's Test Kitchen tackle some vegetables.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 08, 2010 12:40AM

BackAgain Wrote:
> lol this post made me think of TshirtHell's new
> shirt..
> [tshirthell.vo.llnwd.net]
> a1393/a1393_bm.gif
>
> I could never watch cooking shows. Even on cooked
> they make things to fancy and complicated. And
> yeah.. vegetables just look deformed and
> disgusting.

Oh this is too cute! lol.

Date: November 08, 2010 01:16PM

Powerlifter,
I used to live about an hour away from the Canadian/U.S. boarder. But I have moved and it would now take about 4-5 hours to get there. The resturant was a Japanese sushi bar. I know there are several vegetarian resturants in Vancouver, but I remember some place which was raw and vegan but it didn't last. In San Francisco there was a place, and also in Larkspur, but they both have closed up. At least the one in larkspur had a lot of business for awhile, as the word got out. San Franciscians are usually more open to trying new things comparied to other places I have been.

In Vancouver I saw a lot of resturants with signs that said vegan or gluten free. In fact there were several I remember that were exclusively gluten free. GF foods were not really a problem there.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 08, 2010 02:15PM

As a trained cook, I still love watching cooking shows(especially on PBS) sometimes. The thing that bothers me about food-related programming in the States isn't that the meals being prepared are hideous; I don't know anyone who watches Nigella for the recipes, but rather because she's pretty and talks posh and we covet her Thames-side townhouse lifestyle. No, it's the promotion of gluttony--hideous food, but mounds of it, having to be cooked quickly or devoured quickly. Food isn't about gluttony, it's about sustenance or cultural ritual. As times get harder, shows celebrating indecent wastefulness of food are becoming more prevalent. I truly cannot understand why. Now is exactly the time for food-related programming to return to austerity and healthfulness, to reiterate the simple pleasure of preparing simple foods and eating them slowly with one's loved ones because, thank goodness, you have loved ones and a table to eat at and a roof over your heads. [sigh]

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: November 08, 2010 08:33PM

[www.youtube.com]

david

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: November 10, 2010 09:31PM

Just to mention:

In Vancouver, BC, there is a raw vegan place on Commercial blvd/st (?), just south of Gaslight park. It's a produce market in front, raw food deli in back.

In Victoria, BC, we recently discovered a lovely raw restaurant called Cafe Bliss, in Chinatown. I was amazed, in Victoria, at how many places we could wander in and get a fresh juice/wheatgrass juice! smiling smiley

We also found a full-on vegan Chinese restaurant, but, alas, not raw... though very, very good!

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 10, 2010 09:49PM

dvdai Wrote:
> [www.youtube.com]

Funny! There was also mangos and apples.

Date: November 11, 2010 12:45PM

RaeVynn,
My partner and I found a vegan chinese resturant on the east coast. its very good, but its cooked. The last time we ate there we ended up feeling sick, I am not sure why. It might be because they depend a lot on processed soy and gluten to make mock meat and seafood dishes. I have gotten a strange reaction to high levels of gluten in imitation animal products. But I generally don't have a problem eating bread, as far as that sort of reaction goes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables