Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Caloric Intake Calculator
Posted by: tiffany martinez ()
Date: November 10, 2010 01:58AM

Does anyone have a good, trustworthy "Daily Caloric Need" formula for me?

I tried the generic ones like at cnn.com and webmd.com and the numbers were HUGELY different.

Then I tried one at a high performance athlete trainig site and that number was on the high side.

I am 5 Foot 1 Inch
185 lbs (I'm overweight by all means)
33 year old female.

On the low end of the scale, one calculator told me 1800 is what I burn every day just to live + digestion and my light exercise life.

ON the high end (the pro athlete) had me at 2600 for meto, digestion and the Sedentary program. I thought 2600 was way high of what i would need to eat to maintain.

Here is what I have done. The first 10 is carloies needed to sustain my body mass, the second 10% is Digestion, the 20% is activity level

(My weight x 10) + ((myweight x 10%)+ (myweight x 20%)) = Calories needed to maintain current weight. (this formulat gives me 2442 a day to maintain)

What does anyone think of this? Does this sound like a reasonable formula? Anyone have any other ideas. I need a good idea of what I need to sustain so I know how much to cut to promote a healthy, slow, weight reduction.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Caloric Intake Calculator
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: November 10, 2010 07:17AM

Tiffany, unfortunately, there is no reliable caloric calculator, except for the in-build one:
Calorie counting or Hunger?

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 10, 2010 01:53PM

Tiffany,
Have you tried the one at the Mayo Clinic?

[www.mayoclinic.com]

It came out to 1750 to maintain, cautioning that any special needs could alter the estimate.

Rawgosia,

The Mayo Clinic notes the basis for their calculator as --

"Credits: Based on Harris Benedict Equation and Dietary Reference Intakes, Institute of Medicine (IOM), 2005. Adapted by Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research."

- sounds like a hybrid formula.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 02:03PM by loeve.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 10, 2010 08:26PM

I ran the numbers again at the Mayo Clinic site and this time came up with 1900 calories/day, and if going by the DRI site the standard deviation would be 1900 +/- 160 calories [www.nap.edu] .

The Dietary Reference Intakes website has a chart showing the energy needs of all types and ages (at least of their study groups) --

[www.nap.edu]

Tiffany, according to this chart, your sex and age group ranges from about 1600 to 3600.

My sex and age ranges from 2800 to 4200. Wow, that seems like a lot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 08:37PM by loeve.

Posted by: tiffany martinez ()
Date: November 10, 2010 09:20PM

Hey thanks! I hadn't seen the Mayo clinic one... 1900 a day sounds WAY more realistic!

I do realize that eating when hungry is the proper way, but I have abused my body so much for so long, my counter seems to think I'm hungry all the time. It is slowly getting better and one day I hope to be able to trust it fully. Eating when I wanted, what I wanted is how I landed in this awful predicament. I'm trying to develop some better habits (again) .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables