Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bad Juicing Experience
Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: November 10, 2010 08:40PM

I got terrifically ill along with my vegetarian-but-cooked bf. We've been juicing daily for about 2 months; carrots, beets, celery, and stems from the green leaves in use in green smoothies (all organic). We each have 8-16 oz every morning.

This week I happened to buy beets from a new farmer's market vendor, though his sign did say organic. It was also the first time I tried juicing chard stems; they were particularly thick. The carrots and celery were from the same people I buy from every week, so I'd be surprised if it was one of those that made us sick.

It started as a burning in the throat, followed by 3 hours of crippling stomach pain (for me) bf was laid out the entire day.

Whaddaya think - beets or chard? I don't want to get sick again, but i also don't want to throw out pounds of fresh veggies....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bad Juicing Experience
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 10, 2010 08:47PM

It was probably be the beets, beets are known to cause extreme detox reactions in some especially in larger doses. How much of the beets did you use?

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: November 10, 2010 08:47PM

Perhaps just too much greens in the juice?
Next time, try fewer chard stems.

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: November 10, 2010 08:54PM

Oooh! Good to know, Powerlifter! I did use about twice as many beets as "normal" (6 golf-ball sized). I was suspicious it was maybe some pesticide reaction..

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 10, 2010 09:02PM

Beets and chard are in the same family and both have the plant pigment betaine which some are sensitive to. "Thick" chard has made me sick before, as well as beets. Swiss chard that had bolted in the garden and then juiced was the worst. The burning might have been a high oxalic acid content in very mature plants, though that's just a guess. I've gotten that type of burning from very mature kale.

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 10, 2010 09:55PM

I vote that it was the chard.

By the way... 6 beets? wow, that is a lot for two peeps. (Maybe I just find them a little overpowering.)

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 11, 2010 01:50AM

I agree that it was probably oxalic acid. And I have eaten chard stems with no problem but a couple of times recently I have had chard and there was an unpleasant aftertaste/mouth feel that is like chalky and it's hard to describe the sensation--kind of a soapy taste. I wonder if chard not picked at the right time is responsible--i.e.; un"ripe" chard? I have had chard multiple times where it was all good and I ate the whole thing so I suspect poor picking as the culprit for this phytochemical.

Posted by: pAL ()
Date: November 11, 2010 04:24AM

Beets MUST be pealed before being juiced or eaten raw °__°
Beet SKINS contain oxalic acid that is neutralized when cooked -__-

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 16, 2010 04:48PM

Eat apples immediately after drinking beet juice. It helps with any detox reaction. One apple per each one quarter beet juice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables