Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

mamey sapotes
Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: November 10, 2010 08:50PM

Has anyone else here been privileged to try mamey sapotes? I ordered a couple cases, and they're delectable!!! Super rich and filling, lushishly tropical fruity. Kinda sorta like a sweet potato crossed with an avocado, but a sweet, juicy fruit! Apparently, when this fruit first came to Cuba there were fistfights over it. !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mamey sapotes
Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: November 10, 2010 09:08PM

No, but now I have something else to put on my list of things to grow in Ecuador smiling smiley

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Posted by: Non ()
Date: November 13, 2010 11:44PM

YES.

They are AWESOME in shakes. With banana, and cacao.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: November 14, 2010 06:38AM

I'd love to try one of these. If anyone knows how to get them in the UK, please let me know!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 14, 2010 07:34AM

me too!

Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: November 14, 2010 04:54PM

Mamey fruits are such a treat! Usually the international market near me in NYC will carry them for a very short time, usually late summer/early fall. Didn't notice them this year; maybe I missed them.

They are filling, but so creamy and delicious... a meal in itself, really.

Where did you order them from, omega-3?

Now my mouth is watering...

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: November 15, 2010 04:55AM

Mamey sapote is completely amazing, one of my favorites. I hardly ever get to eat it though. sad smiley I'm always trying to describe it to people and say that it's like a sweet potato that's already soft and creamy without having to cook it.

I did once give in and have it conventional, but found it wasn't the same at all so I'd definitely stick with organic for this fruit.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: November 15, 2010 06:01PM

Sorry for the slow reply. I found it through www.localharvest.com Specifically, here: [www.localharvest.org]'
That's a farm in southern Florida. I don't know if they ship internationally... I imagine so. Otherwise, I'd suggest doing some internet searching, because these things are spectacular! Incredibly nourishing, but not high-fat! Like a creamy fruit pumpkin pie.
And I actually talked to the farmer the other day, and he said there would probably be about another month of mameys, but then there will be a different sapote available called sapodilla, which he described as like a pear with brown sugar filling, and after that in the spring there will be canistel, or yellow sapote, which I've heard is the richest one of all.
I've ordered about twenty-five mameys so far, and I'm freezing some to have through the winer, but I'm ecstatic that a range of fresh sapotes will continue to be available.
Btw, I also found a web site www.buydurian.com, which has a lot of tropical fruit, but I haven't received my first order yet, so I can;t vouch for the quality, and the prices seem a bit high.
But I do give *rave* reviews to the fresh dates I found from Pato's Dream Date Gardens through localharvest.com. *So* much better than any dried date. Plus, it's a small farm, unionized and organic/biodynamic.

Posted by: RusticBohemian ()
Date: November 15, 2010 09:15PM

Yep. They're amazing. I talk about getting and eating them in this video: [www.raw-food-health.net]

Posted by: Non ()
Date: November 15, 2010 10:16PM

OMG I WANT ONE.

Mamey shakes are the absolute best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables