Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Wild foraging sea vegetables
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 22, 2010 07:06AM

I've recently begun foraging kelp on the beach. I've eaten it fresh, and it has digested well. Sometimes I see other kinds of sea weed, but I can't identify them and I don't know if they're safe to eat. Does anyone know a good website on this topic, especially one that has good illustrations of various sea weeds?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wild foraging sea vegetables
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 22, 2010 11:14PM

A Wikipedia article has a nice overview on seaweed --

[en.wikipedia.org]

They External link to an algae database which I've used before. It has a forum --

[forum.algaebase.org]

Where I live the green seaweed, codium fragile, is constantly outgrowing its holdfasts and washing up on shore. It's an invasive species here. Sea lettuce can be gathered snorkling which I seldom do, actually preferring the codium.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 24, 2010 03:33AM

Thanks for the help, loeve. There's lots of kelp in this area, but other things to which I can't yet identify.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 24, 2010 01:27PM

Someone living on Vancouver Island also asked recently and found someone local who gives seaweed tours --

[www.sea-flora.com]

Someone else living in San Diego was interested and there's been a little local seaweed list done there that's online.

The wikipedia article just happened to have a picture of codium fragile, a seaweed that I'd been nibbling on for a couple years without knowing what it was, come to find out they've reseached codium in Chile for its food value.

I gather there's about 16,000 species worldwide with about 1,000 occuring in any one locale, so it's nice if there's a local guide of some sort. There's only about a dozen species I see while beach combing, but I've still just been able to identify a few.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables