Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Supplements for Raw foodiest
Posted by: hbc1982 ()
Date: November 22, 2010 08:42PM

What supplements do everyone take? How do you choose a supplement that is as natural as possible? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Supplements for Raw foodiest
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 22, 2010 09:53PM

Sublingual b12 is pretty much a must for a vegan/raw vegan or if your lucky b12 injections.

If you eat seaweed occasionally then iodine isnt an issue if you dont then a iodine supplement is essential.

If you dont live somewhere sunny best bet is to cycle a vitamin D supplement, but most of these arent vegan but they are essential.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 23, 2010 04:45AM

What brand Sublingual b12 do you use, powerlifer?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: November 23, 2010 05:50AM

I've been 100% raw for nearly nine years now, and I have not been supplementing for over the last eight of those years. If people want to take supplements that fine, it's their money and their health and their body. But for me, I feel fine without supplements and for me they would be a waste of money.

I live in northern California, where the winters are cold and wet. The summers are quite sunny, and there is a lot of local produce during the late summer and fall.

I think part of the reason I feel great without supplements is that I eat a lot of fruit and a low fat high vegetable diet.

Posted by: hbc1982 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 07:10AM

Thanks for your information. Anyone else wanna chim in? How do you choose what brand? There are so many different kinds, not sure what to look for.

@Prana-have you checked your blood to see if you are lacking anything?

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 23, 2010 11:52AM

Prana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been 100% raw for nearly nine years now, and
> I have not been supplementing for over the last
> eight of those years. If people want to take
> supplements that fine, it's their money and their
> health and their body. But for me, I feel fine
> without supplements and for me they would be a
> waste of money.
>
> I live in northern California, where the winters
> are cold and wet. The summers are quite sunny, and
> there is a lot of local produce during the late
> summer and fall.
>
> I think part of the reason I feel great without
> supplements is that I eat a lot of fruit and a low
> fat high vegetable diet.

Prana,

Have you ever had a blood test to check your nutrient levels, b12, iron, etc.? Many raw foodists that I read about say that their levels are low when tested...

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 23, 2010 08:17PM

I used to work in a health store and got free supplements but they never agreed with me so I don't take them. B12? Meh. I am not too concerned. If I start frothing at the mouth, I'll consider it...

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: November 24, 2010 01:35AM

I sometimes take a sublingual b12. It's Whole Foods brand. I don't know much about it except one of my legs used to fall asleep severely where I couldn't walk for a few minutes up to 3 times a day, and that hasn't happened since I started taking it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 24, 2010 12:09PM

Really, you can't go wrong with fruit and veg in as close to it's natural state as possible. I feel way better than I did with my previous eating habits,so why would I need to question my dietry intake, or have a blood test??? Anyway, the blood nutrient levels that are considered 'normal' are based on levels found in ostensibly healthy people who eat SAD. Therefore, the whole system is flawed when it comes to nutrient levels of people such as vegan/fruitarian who have a mainly base (alkaline) diet.
Cheers, geo

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 24, 2010 01:36PM

Yeah but most would like to know if there nutrient levels were on the low side or deficient. I had a vitamin A, D and E deficiency for many years that i knew little about due to doctors not willing to work with me. I was having problems breaking down fat.

I cant remember the brand juicerkatz, ill look it out and get back to you. I just cycle it now and again really. The liver can hold adequate stores of vitamin b12 for around 6-8 years so this is why it often doesnt show at the start of veganism.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables