Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sodium intake over the RDA
Posted by: Delta223 ()
Date: November 27, 2010 02:26PM

I calculated that my sodium intake is over the recommended daily amount of 2.4g. Mine is around 3-3.5g per day.

I know why low sodium intake is important (prevents high blood pressure) but I'm not sure about how valid or important the RDA is, and also if high potassium is enough to offset some extra sodium. Anyone know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sodium intake over the RDA
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: November 27, 2010 05:53PM

Seems like you might be getting some unnecessary extra sodium. Probably wouldn't hurt to let it go.

For some things, lemon juice is good instead of salt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 06:01PM by suncloud.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 27, 2010 06:21PM

Are you adding extra salt?

Remember low sodium diets also cause problems, its been shown they cause the heart to work harder.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: November 27, 2010 06:39PM

You can get plenty of sodium by eating sodium rich vegetables like celery and tomatoes. It is not necessary to add table salt, sea salt, himalayan salt, or condiments that contain salt like miso, braggs, etc.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: November 27, 2010 06:55PM

You can't go by the RDA. That was made for people who pour salt on almost everything they eat. Sodium from celery isn't the same as someone who pours a few packets of salt on their french fries.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 27, 2010 07:17PM

I agree that organic sodium cannot be compared to table salt. I also believe that raw salt is better than iodized table salt. But I would ask what exactly are you eating? It is very easy to overeat sodium if you are eating prepared foods (canned/frozen/boxed). Even if you are not high-raw, you could curb sodium consumption simply by making all your own food.

Posted by: Delta223 ()
Date: November 27, 2010 08:15PM

I don't add extra salt; I don't even have extra salt (packets or container) in the house. A can of black beans + tomato sauce each day is the big culprit.

But I wasn't really asking about how to reduce sodium, just wondering if people could help me understand how valid the RDA is especially with high potassium intake

Date: November 27, 2010 08:31PM

Why don't you cook your own beans? A bag of black beans costs the same as a can of the same and you can add raw salt to it. Yeah, it will be heated but I still believe that it is superior to iodized salt. A can of beans is an example of a prepared food. So is the tomato sauce. I would get plain tomato paste instead. Not only are the prices comparable, but the paste is usually just 100% tomatoes. It is concentrated so you use less. Tomato sauce usually contains other ingredients besides tomatoes.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: November 27, 2010 08:35PM

Why the tomatoe sauce? Did you try a raw version?

Just asking because when I started raw I kept having insane cravings for pizza. Oddly enough I found if I just blended tomatoes that it went away. It wasn't the pizza I wanted..it was the tangy-ness of the sauce. Only certain tomatoes did it for me..some were blah tasting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 08:37PM by BackAgain.

Date: November 27, 2010 09:02PM

It sounds like she's making some kind of soup or chili with the beans/tomatoes. But I use tomato paste because the plain kind is purely tomatoes, no salt added, and more concentrated than the sauce. I rarely if ever buy tomato sauce. Fresh tomatoes are divine but when cooking, it is hard to use them because you have to use a bunch to get the intense flavor and thick texture. Also, they are not always in season and expensive or not ripe enough.

Date: November 27, 2010 11:51PM

Another thing to remember is that if I am not mistaken, tomatoes are naturally high in sodium.

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 28, 2010 12:45AM

For the beans, the sodium is in the juice. Pour out the juice, and rinse the beans and that will reduce the sodium significantly. You can also purchase low sodium or 'no salt added' beans and tomatoes.

How valid is the RDA for sodium... pretty valid when eating canned foods. I think you should be careful not to exceed the upper limit, especially as a regular daily intake. Occassionally won't be an issue, but constant high intake of sodium should be avoided.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables