Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

HELP ARE THERE ANY GREEN SMOoTHIE SUPPLEMENTS!!
Posted by: nikosmama ()
Date: November 27, 2010 04:44PM

Hello iam new to the raw lifestyle and can't find some ingrediants I need to use in any store!! Is there perhaps a supplement I can use like a powder form to add to a green smoothie??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HELP ARE THERE ANY GREEN SMOoTHIE SUPPLEMENTS!!
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 27, 2010 05:02PM

Well any of the green supplements such as wheatgrass, barleygrass, chlorella, spirulina are rich in the same nutrients and have lots of benefits.

What foods you having trouble finding, my theory on things is im all for supplements ive had great success with them, but they are a supplement to an already well rounded diet. Not to be the base of onesmiling smiley.

Date: November 27, 2010 08:16PM

I can't find dandelion greens and when I went to raleys last night no kale?? So I was hoping to find like a powder just to add to my smoothies =) its kinda funny when you ask for it people are like huh??

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 27, 2010 08:34PM

What is wrong with fresh spinach? You can use all kinds of greens in smoothies. The problem with powders is the processing. They are not fresh, sit on shelves, so how much nutrition could they really have? Some may be labeled "raw," but logic tells us that it can't possibly be all that enzymatic. And where are you looking for these things? Obviously they will have to be at a natural foods store. If you have one nearby like a Whole Foods, you should have kale and dandelion available also! But a regular supermarket will not usually carry these items so start looking for a health store.

Date: November 27, 2010 08:37PM

dandelion greens arent very important if you want the liver cleansing/bitter properties of dandelion its easy to buy the herbal tea and/or raw herbal powder.

kale is a decent green but there are others which are just as good, a varied intake of different greens/vegetables is key.

Haha nah im with you, i like my powders/supplements/herbs as even though vegan and raw vegan helped my health it didnt cure my problems. The suggestions in my original post are good, kale is ok now and again for me but it contains goitrogens(interefe with thyroid function) and is high in oxalic acid.

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: November 27, 2010 08:54PM

Umm..something like this?
[www.rawguru.com]

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: November 27, 2010 08:56PM

nikosmama Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't find dandelion greens and when I went to
> raleys last night no kale??

Do you shop at Whole Foods? They pretty much have everything.
[www.wholefoodsmarket.com] if you never heard of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 08:57PM by BackAgain.

Date: November 27, 2010 08:59PM

banana who Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is wrong with fresh spinach? You can use all
> kinds of greens in smoothies. The problem with
> powders is the processing. They are not fresh, sit
> on shelves, so how much nutrition could they
> really have? Some may be labeled "raw," but logic
> tells us that it can't possibly be all that
> enzymatic. And where are you looking for these
> things? Obviously they will have to be at a
> natural foods store. If you have one nearby like a
> Whole Foods, you should have kale and dandelion
> available also! But a regular supermarket will not
> usually carry these items so start looking for a
> health store.

Just because something isnt fresh doesnt mean its void of nutritional content, some herbs last 3 years and still have near the same content of nutrients they did when they were dried from fresh.

Date: November 27, 2010 08:59PM

Regarding kale being the same as other greens? Not according to a poster I saw, which listed its nutrients as #1. I think fresh is best. I don't think I would enjoy a dandelion smoothie because of the bitterness, but I have tried kale and didn't taste it (I didn't put that much though). You can use parsley, cilantro, romaine lettuce...

Date: November 27, 2010 10:00PM

Thank you all for the posts =) has anyone ever tried macro food?? If so what are your thoughts?

Date: November 27, 2010 11:51PM

Powerlifter: Yes and I have spirulina that is green-black and I am sure the amount of chlorophyll is amazing. My point is that you don't really know how it's processed and if this person has a hard time even finding kale, I don't know what kind of area s/he lives in, but sometimes these supplemental powders seem suspect unless you are familiar with the brand/company. Another thing I think is the aspect of dried products (like dehydrated fruits and other foods) versus fresh and it was a great argument. I think I read it in Douglas Graham's book. I don't think it's bad to eat dehydrated stuff EVER, but what's wrong with fresh produce is all I am asking.

Date: November 28, 2010 06:05AM

I get what you mean banana who, but dried fruits/dehydrated are still abit different than say dried herbs.

It depends on the certain product of course, as some are products are very unstable and lose there nutritional content quickly such as camu camu which has to be dried instantly when picked. Where as something like chia, amla are more stable due to tannins, antioxidants they contain.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables