Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dates
Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: November 28, 2010 05:31AM

I'm from the midwest of the U.S. so I'm not going to claim to be an expert on all things that are Dates, but I had some Deglet noors from

[www.tunisiandate.com]

that I purchased at a local store that forced me to question my sexuality.

These dates were so succulent that they melted in my mouth. They don't appear to be organic but the life changing flavor masked the roundup and my cares.

I'm sure their is many varieties and brands out there that I'm ignorant to. Any favorites/suggestions that I need to spend some time sharing my intimates with?

david

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dates
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: November 28, 2010 06:28AM

I like deglet noors from Flying Disc Ranch and from the Date People.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 28, 2010 07:13AM

Ive only recently got into dates, the shop here gets medjool dates in and there organic.

I never realised how tasty they were, if i had known that i wouldnt have ate so much sugary sweets in my day.

Posted by: klomasius ()
Date: November 28, 2010 07:52AM

mmm.. dates. My lollies!

I get organic medjool dates by the 5kg box, they last me about a month. I'd love to try some other less common varieties and have found a place in my country to get them, just have to wait till I'm a little more cashed up.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 28, 2010 08:21AM

fresh medjool dates are amazing - they only last a few days though before they go mouldy and they are wickedly expensive but a real treat when they are in season.

Powerlifer you should look out for them - they make the dried or semi dried ones seem boring by comparison

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 28, 2010 02:32PM

Ill have to keep an eye out for them flipperjan nice one.

Where in the UK are you lucky enough to get them?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 28, 2010 06:43PM

David,

Medjools all the way. Also, your post made me chuckle naughtily winking smiley

Posted by: KidRaw ()
Date: November 28, 2010 09:19PM

Wet Pack of Bahri from The Date People. Take the pit out and put in a pecan and pop the whole thing in your mouth, and you're in heaven. Mine is being shipped out this week.

Date: November 29, 2010 04:42AM

I've had both the medjools and deglet noors. I got on a medjool kick for awhile been then returned to the deglet and stuck with them for some time. I prefer the texture and flavor.

Now, I've found that regardless if they're a deglet or a medjool, their origin and supplier means makes a big difference. These deglet noors I recently got have their origin in Tunisia, check the link in the first post. These deglets taste so so so much better then the deglets I was getting prior and their origin was California.

I'll have to check out The Date People and the Flying Disc Ranch. Thanks all and chuckle away!

david

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 29, 2010 08:41AM

powerlifer - the answer is Waitrose. They are like no other date - you can't buy them in bulk, they simply would go off.

dvdai - have you tried truly fresh dates?

Date: November 29, 2010 08:52PM

nope, never been to a farm. I can only imagine the difference.

david

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: November 30, 2010 02:53AM

I got some incredible Medjools at the Indian food place and they were from Israel. There were so hearty that they almost had a smokey flavor to them. They were super expensive relatively speaking, either. The other dates I purchased were from Jaffe Bros. Their Honey Dates were really sweet. The dates are so wet that there is juice in the bag.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables