Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw eggplant?
Posted by: Want2know ()
Date: November 29, 2010 03:13PM

hi folks,

just a brief question if you don't mind:

is it toxic to eat raw eggplant also know as aubergine?

thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw eggplant?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: November 29, 2010 03:46PM

yes, but you would have to eat a HUGE amount of eggplant to suffer any ill effects, some people suggest preparing them like they prepare Ryzhik in russia, basically salting them (some like to season, ive done it both ways and prefer them seasoned)

heres what ya do, you salt both sides,stack them inside of a glass container in which the mouth is as wide as the rest of it (makes next step easier) then place another piece of glass (or if youd rather, wood that isnt to porous) on top, and put a few pounds of weight on top of that so it compresses the slices a bit, leave them like this for 1 hour, and a thick brownish liquid should have leaked out by then, this gets rid of allot of the bitterness...

I would also suggest rinsing the salt off after this... it will be rather salty if you dont... this method is also used by many people who intend on cooking the eggplant as well, because it will give a much better texture than normal to the eggplant...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: November 30, 2010 02:57AM

I've eaten raw egg plant but don't really like the sponginess. I have used frozen raw eggplant for a pseudo raw baba gnoush. Wasn't really that impressed with it as I prefer hummus.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 30, 2010 12:42PM

I cant find eggplant anywhere in the UK where i live, ive been looking for it for years since i went vegan.

Even the little independent fruit/veg shops dont seem to have it.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: November 30, 2010 08:54PM

powerlifer, do you know it's called aubergine over here? it's usually in the supermarkets, pretty cheap too.

I like it marinated and dehydrated. you can make a bacon-y type thing if you marinate it in salt, agave, ACV & oil then dehydrate overnight. think there's a recipe by Alissa Cohen somewhere.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: November 30, 2010 09:08PM

Hey Lisa, yeah ive still never seen it although i mentioned it to my mum tonight and she says ohh yeah there's aubergines in sainburys all the time lol. I dont really have a sainsburys near me, just tesco, asda and a small independent fruit/veg retailer.

Will need to look for it, i eat high raw so alot of vegan recipes i could do great stuff with auberginesmiling smiley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables