Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw vegan "cheesecake"
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 13, 2010 07:33PM

Is there such a thing? I had a piece of vegan cheesecake awhile back, and then really cheated with a 'real' piece. I never realized that it actually tastes awful. I was going to look for a vegan recipe for cooked, but I just thought what about a raw version?!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw vegan "cheesecake"
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 13, 2010 07:37PM

I dont know if a raw version, that tastes anything like the real thing, is even possible... something with similar consistency probably, but flavor? unlikely at best... actually, im not even sure if a cooked vegan cheesecake could reproduce the original... and if its the taste of the original you dont like (I couldnt tell for sure which you meant, the vegan or the real piece.) then why try to make a raw vegan reproduction? Im sure with the use of avocado you could get something of a similar texture!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 14, 2010 06:48AM

There are raw gourmet cheesecakes that taste like the real thing. They have a high fat content, something like 70% fat using cashews (or almonds) and coconut oil. Cafe Gratitude has a recipe book for their desserts, but you might be able to find some free recipes on GoneRaw or other websites (like Healthy Decadence).

Date: December 14, 2010 06:49AM

hmmm, that sounds promising, but still...I just cant see how cashews or almonds, or any nut, could taste like cheesecake:/... I'll keep an open mind though,lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 14, 2010 01:59PM

Curator,
Its been years since I had regular dairy cheesecake. But more recently I had vegan tofu cakes at a local resturant. The vegan version would probably be a disappointment to anyone that is expecting an exact replication of a dairy cheesecake. Especially anyone that is eating dairy regularly.

What I was meaning was that I found out that I actually prefer the 'fake' version without dairy, and with less sugar. That was a bit of a surprise for me, as the original is what most people would expect to be 'better', because its real.

I was just so curious what could be done raw wise, could be even better. Or maybe disappointing in another whole way for the purist. Maybe it needs a new name, so that people don't have expectations for something else. Creamy nut cake?

Prana,
Thank you for the links for recipes, I will have to check them out.

Date: December 14, 2010 08:59PM

that would be good, if they could make something that closely replicates the flavor and texture though, I would LOVE that, Ive never been a giant fan of cheesecake, but...well... it happens to be the favorite of a certain special some one...and I would really love to be able to make something for her that would satisfy that craving, but be healthy for her... close probably wont cut it, she is a bit of a cheesecake snob,lol... (she does actually like hers a bit less sweet than average though)

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 15, 2010 04:46PM

I hope you find a good recipe. I am not so particular about things being exact, but the main thing for me is that is tastes good. Maybe it could be a whole new treat, a "dream pie" or "dream cake" somehting like that.

Date: December 15, 2010 05:35PM

the one prana linked sounds good, but seems like it would be a little heavy, seems tasty though... if there was a lighter fluffier version it would probably be even better.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: December 17, 2010 02:42PM

PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE
by Rachel Fracassa

Ingredients

Crust
1 1/2 Cups Pecans
1/3 Cup Raisins
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
Salt

Filling
1/2 Cup Soft Dates, pitted and packed
1/2 Cup Agave
1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
2 Cups Cashews, soaked 2 hours, drained
1/2 Cup Young Coconut Meat
1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil, warmed to liquid
1/2 Cup Irish Moss Paste*

Pumpkin Topping
3/4 Cup Pumpkin, chopped
1/4 Cup Carrots, peeled and chopped
6 Tablespoons Water
2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Dates, soaked
1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice

Directions

To make the crust: In a food processor, process pecans, raisins, cinnamon, and salt until the mixture begins to stick together. Press the crust mixture evenly in the bottom of an 8-inch spring form pan.
To make the filling: Process the dates, agave, and lemon juice in a food processor until smooth. Add the pumpkin, cashews and coconut meat and process until completely smooth. Add the coconut oil and irish moss and process until well incorporated. Pour the filling onto the crust.
To make the topping: Place the pumpkin and carrot along with the water and lemon juice in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the dates and pumpkin pie spice and blend again until smooth. Spread the pumpkin topping evenly on top of the filling.
Chill at least 3 hours before serving
Servings: 8

Notes

If you don't have Irish Moss, don't fret. You can make the cheesecake without it, but serve it straight from the refrigerator.
If you have an aversion to eating raw pumpkin, peeled carrots can be substituted for pumpkin at any time.
To make a pumpkin drizzle instead of topping, replace the dates with 2 tablespoons of Agave.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: December 17, 2010 04:52PM

Mmmm...that Pumpkin cheesecake recipe looks great!

Thanks, Wendy, I shall try this one. smiling smiley

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: December 17, 2010 10:20PM

just like cooked vegan ones, I think, are better than cooked omni ones, raw is the best. but yes, it is high in fat!

Date: December 17, 2010 10:29PM

mmm, that pumpkin cheesecake looks delicious!!!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: December 19, 2010 09:40PM

I posted it, but don't think I could eat it. I have to be careful with the dense food. They give me a tummy ache. Smoothies, Juices, Soups and fruits & veggies are more my deal. I make a mean German Chocolate cake that I partake of a couple times a year. :-)

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Date: December 20, 2010 01:14PM

Wendy,
What a transformation in your photos! How do you make it out there in the midwest? I drove through the midwest this spring, and well, Its not exactly vegan.

Date: December 20, 2010 08:32PM

hah! I have to say a similar question was running through my mind mislu,lol.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 21, 2010 01:27PM

NJ isn't too vegan friendly,overall, so it seems. But there is a chinese vegan resturant in Montclaire. I don't know of any raw places here. California was much more vegan, vegetarian friendly, along with Vancouver Canada. I also noticed a lot of gluten free signs up there as well.

Last night I noticed some gluten free pasta at an italian gourmet store that my partner likes to go to. I was surprised and glad that it was available. I know its not raw, but still its always a good sign when someone somewhere thinks of people with particular dietary needs.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 21, 2010 10:22PM

OMG--raw cheezecake has been the favorite thing I have had at raw food restaurants! I have been to three of them in the Chicago area. The funny thing is that at the one I went to where I ate a whole meal (main dishes+salad bar+dessert) I couldn't eat salads for ten days, no lie! It really did a number on me. My boyfriend and I thought that this online coupon allowed us to order $50 worth of food for $25 and they wouldn't accept the coupon. Uh oh...And the reaction of the owner via phone was enough for me to vow never to enter that place again! I mean, we weren't trying to cheat the place; the coupon was very nebulous and deceptive. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened to them before. In any case, I would think that a smart business owner would try and work with customers more respectfully. We got some money taken off our bill but it was very embarrassing. But this other place we went to had the most AWESOME blueberry cheezecake. I would love to duplicate it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables