Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fresh dates in the shops in uk
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: December 15, 2010 02:49PM

This is a message to uk people - especially powerlifer.

I bought 6 fat, luscious ripe dates today in Waitrose. The label says: Perfectly ripe medjool dates. A highly prized, naturally larger variety sometimes known as the king of dates. Dusky, tender and moist, caramel flavoured and deliciously sweet.

They will last in the fridge for 12 days - not that they will get the chance!

With it's stone in, one date weighs 30gms. is 5.5cms long and 3cms wide in the middle. It's hard to describe how wonderful they are - your teeth burst through the skin into the sweetest, honeyed 'goo' you can possibly imagine. I have decided I don't really like the semi dried dates - not after experiencing these. Sadly they are very expensive - a christmas treat. (they also come from Israel)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fresh dates in the shops in uk
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 15, 2010 03:09PM

Hey Flipperjan,

Nice one im going to need to see where are closest waitrose is.

Im now not sure if the ones i get are fresh i think they are, i believe they are fresh medijool and they are as you describe lovely.

I get them from a small independent fruit store, but i dont know alot about dates.

Date: December 15, 2010 03:48PM

You know if they are fresh by their shelf life and the fact that they have to be refridgerated. Fresh dates will not keep for more than a couple of days out on the work surface - they quickley get mould growing all over them - very unpleasant.

I also have got dates from a small independent green grocer - they are lovely, quite moist but nothing like the fresh ones in Waitrose. The fresh ones are a bit like figs in that they have to be packed individually - they can't just be loose in a box, they are too squidgy for that and would rot really fast.

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: December 15, 2010 04:22PM

I LOVE DATES. I buy them from the bulk bin at WF, very hit or miss, but when I get really soft ones, I'm in disbelief at how amazing they are. I'm glad I know they exist, they're much more suitable "sweets" than any dessert I ate in the past. I hope one day I find myself in the middle east where I can find vendors that only sell dates!

Date: December 15, 2010 05:12PM

I have to say that you cannot buy fresh dates in bulk simply because of the way they have to be packaged and kept. I really believe that not many people, certainly in the Uk, will have come across FRESH dates.

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: December 15, 2010 06:22PM

You're right, I'm referring to dried ones. I'm really curious as to how they taste. Dried figs are good, but fresh figs are glorious. I'm assuming fresh dates are even creamier and sweeter than their dried counterparts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables