Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Not loosing any weight after going raw
Posted by: RawKitty ()
Date: September 09, 2006 01:38PM

I searched the posts in the past year for this and couldn't find anything. I have dabbled in raw for a year, and just committed to going for it 100%. I have not even lost a full pound in the two weeks I have been raw. While my goal was not weight loss, I really could loose at least 10 lbs, and am totally shocked I have not. I am not rail thin in the first place. I did back off my workouts because of the fatigue of detox, but I thought surely I would loose a few pounds in two weeks anyhow. I know everyone is different, but I had not quite encountered this issue in all my reading on raw.

I have not at all gone overboard with nuts, seeds, oils, etc. I have been eating very simply and when I want but not after 7pm either. Juicing every morning and eating first meal around 11am.

although not a fan of supplementation, my dr (for reasons of upcoming surgery) put me on some viatmins at this same time - sounds crazy but could that have anything to do with it? I am thinking about not taking them for a week (I feel like I get everything I need in food anyhow) and see if there is any difference.

Any input appreciated! thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Not loosing any weight after going raw
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 09, 2006 05:37PM

Vitamin pills have minimal calories so they probably aren't a factor. If you haven't lost weight you are either retaining water (is your sodium intake too high?) or your intakes are not less than your expenditures.

It isn't necessary to weigh portions and count calories to be certain you've intakes have stayed below your expenditures. If you are currently maintaining, a very simple thing you could try would be to eat exactly as previously but only 2/3 as much.

But if you find that still doesn't work then you might have to start counting and weighing and using the data at [www.nutritiondata.com].

It's more common than not to underestimate intakes (this has been shown repeatedly in studies) especially with concentrated sources of fats because they pack so many calories in such a small volume. For me, 3 walnuts, 2 tsp of olive oil, one brazil nut, 2 tbsp of flax, and the natural fats present in sweet fruits, vegetables, and legumes puts me over my usual target of around 25% fat and I consider this to be very light eating.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: September 09, 2006 08:08PM

I have heard that eating a lot of olive oil will encourage weight loss (possibly because it enhances the liver's functions?). There was a time I got anorexic looking while at the same time using up a 17oz bottle of olive oil a week, I was on a very restricted diet (due to baby) and it was one of the few things I could eat and I doused everything with it.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: September 09, 2006 08:47PM

It's very possible you will lose weight once you begin your workouts again. For me, unless I stay really hungry all the time, I tend to gain weight on 100% raw when I'm not running.

Best wishes, -Ally

Posted by: rooneyandmuldoon ()
Date: September 10, 2006 02:52AM

I have been about 80% raw for at least a month, and I've only lost about 3 lbs. (I need to lose 40.) I can't explain it, but I feel your pain.

Posted by: RawKitty ()
Date: September 10, 2006 12:01PM

thanks all for the replies. I am curious to see how it goes, as I have started working out again.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: September 10, 2006 12:50PM

Have you GAINED weight?

If not, isn't that something great? Look at the bright side of life and enjoy your way of eating. If you want to improve your weight, MOVE! Take your "backside" and MOVE it. Jump, laugh, run, do something creative!

Best of luck and keep up the good work!

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: September 11, 2006 05:25PM

I don't think you need to be 100% raw in order to lose weight - if your body has excess weight, you should be able to easily get rid of it even at 80 or 90% raw.

There are a number of possible explanations for why you're not losing weight:

1) Could be that your body has found its normal healthy weight already - which may not be the weight YOU think you should be, or wish you were - but do you look healthy? Does your flesh appear to be appropriate for your bone structure?

2) Could be a sluggish liver. I've had this before and I could NOT lose weight - I read Dr. Sandra Cabot's liver cleansing program (not raw, I read it years ago - but you can tailor her program to a raw diet, which is what I did recently after again abusing my liver with toxins). The liver is the body's main fat-burning organ, and if it's overloaded with toxins it can't do its job properly. Taking milk thistle capsules on an empty stomach with green juices will clean out the liver (milk thistle is a potent liver protector & cleanser - it really works).

3) Could be that you're not eating enough essential fats such as flax seed oil. Coconut is probably really good, too, as are other natural cold-pressed oils, but for me flax is the best. Good fat metabolizes bad fat.

4) Could be that you have a problem with your thyroid (hypothyroidism). You'll have to get this checked by a doctor. A raw diet can def help with the thyroid (maybe a little bit, maybe a lot) - like eating kelp - and there are people on this board who seem to know a lot about thyroid issues.

5) Try eating more vegetables such as peppers, cucumbers, zucchini - and try eating them alone. For me, anyway, this always seems to speed up fat burning.

6) Lift weights and go running. Could be that your weight is fine but you just want a more sculpted look, which weight bearing exercise will help you achieve.

Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables