Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sorting out fractioned sunflower kernals
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 18, 2010 04:27PM

Hello,
I have been sprouting sunflower seeds, but had to stop because it was giving me digestive problems. Sometime later, I decided to try sprouting them again, but this time I sorted out the fragments which I suppose do not sprout, but I guess just ferment. I also sort out exceptionally dark brown or black seeds.

So far I haven't had the problem of pain after eating them, I hope that it continues to go well as long as I sprout. I am curious as to why this seems to make a difference. Along with no pain, the sprouts taste way, way fresher which shouldn't be surprising.

It does however take some time to remove these seed parts, and bad seeds. Any ideas about how to remove them more effectively? I am surprised at exactly how many fragmented seeds there are in mechanically seperated seeds.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sorting out fractioned sunflower kernals
Posted by: madinah ()
Date: December 18, 2010 05:45PM

How do you sprout the and for how long? I grow indoor sunflower greens.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 19, 2010 01:49AM

this doesnt suprise me your exeriment .. if some kernals are molding or rotting or composting or even fermenting RATHER than sprouting i could see this causing you digestive upset .. kudos to you for figureing it out .. i will pay more attention in my own sprouting endevours smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: December 19, 2010 05:54PM

madinah
I sprout them overnight to 2 days usually, but this last batch has gone 3 days, and I put them in the fridge. Last summer I planted greens, and the birds kept on eating them, but they left ONE to grow. I thought that was cute, seemed like they were planning ahead!

Jgunn,
Its a pain, but its a necessary step as I hate the feeling I get from eating a bad batch. I suppose the ultimate sprout experience would also be removing the thin outer coating that comes off when they start to grow. That would take a bit more effort.

Date: December 19, 2010 05:57PM

Jgunn,
Just curious, do you know if there are growth factors in sprouts? I think there must be, at least plant ones. I have no idea if those influence people that eat them. I recall someone mentioning those in sprouts and young greens, suggesting that it had some benefits to people. I understand those to be very different from hormones that would appear in humans or animals.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 20, 2010 07:11AM

Maybe you can get a piece of hardware cloth, which is wire mesh screen whose mesh comes in various sizes (1/8th inch, 1/4 inch) to collect the whole sunflower seeds.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables