Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

whats the best to eat before workout? sugar lactic acid kills me
Posted by: Non ()
Date: December 24, 2010 01:56AM

well.. I noticed that when I eat dates before I workout I get SO much pain in my muscles. I suspect it's the lactic acid buildup from eating so many simple sugars. Besides that they give me lots of gas too. Maybe I eat too much.

What really is the best thing to eat? I'm not an endurance trainer I do martial arts, so I guess carbs are the best to get, but since simple sugars gives me so much pain from what I think is lactic acid buildup then I guess more complex carbs would be better. Though, when I think of it it's what most people think have all these enzyme inhibitors, etc. even if sprouted. Well what if some of the inhibitors are a necessary part to prevent too much glycemic load?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: whats the best to eat before workout? sugar lactic acid kills me
Date: December 24, 2010 05:32AM

come to think of it, maybe Im just eating too high fat?

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: December 24, 2010 08:11AM

eat some leafy greens with those dates and drink a good amount of water, see if that helps.
When it comes to dates, food combining has been important to me. I find the best results when eating these alone and waiting hours before eating anything different.

Too much fat could be a reason as well. Do you know what percent of the calories you eat in a day come from fats?

[www.fitday.com] is a good site to track calorie intake.

david

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: December 24, 2010 06:25PM

Just dont eat too soon before a workout. Wait at least 1.5-2 hrs after you eat before you do any really intense (anerobic) workouts

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: December 24, 2010 07:58PM

I keep it simple - I find a Banana or two works for me...

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: December 24, 2010 09:20PM

Don't eat for 2-3 hours before working out. Have a green smoothie after a workout.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: December 27, 2010 12:47AM

If your doing morning workouts that are under an hour all you need is a quart of water and a banana. Anything over an hour, eat 3-5 bananas or dates per hour and drink a half/ or quart per hour. This is basic sports nutrition 101. I train/race with the fittest people on the planet. Sure most of em are doped up but you need the right nutrition either way.

Non, just look up the fittest people in the raw foods movement today. Im not talking the people that use pictures of fruit in their avitars and then say 'dont eat much fruit, buy my superfood product..' Im talking of the crew that are renown for 'overeating simple sugars' and dominating in drug free athletics.

Doug Graham
Brad Saul
Freelee (strongest and fittest chick in the raw foods movement)
Raw aussie athlete
Mike Arnstein (ran a 2:28 marathon this year)
Tim Van Orden
Chris Kendall (skateboarder)
etc etc.

Where are the low sugar athletes? There isnt a single one competing today. Not even Colting or Stu Mittleman in real life eat what they claim in their interviews/books. Scott Jurek is a longterm high carb vegan and just smashed the all time US 24 record.

I dont know about other people but I sure enjoy being fit, lean, healthy, strong, sane and getting to eat as much sugar each day as I want.

Here is a vid of what I eat in a typical day. I got 6th overall in the Toowoomba Marathon in October and 7th overall in the Davao City Half Marathon Championships a few weeks ago.

You wont find ANY low carb athletes running as fast/far as us.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2010 12:51AM by durianrider.

Date: December 28, 2010 12:50AM

cool thanks for the advice .. I will try them when I go again for the workout.

As for when to eat before exercise... I find I can digest food rather slowly so... if eating fruits then I guess 2-4 hrs before exercise and if melons then , 1.5-2 hrs?

And especially mono-eating fruits ie one type of at a time. Whenever I mix bananas with another fruit it goes bad.. even if it's the same 'category' of fruit like acid, or sub-acid, etc. bananas only, or dates only... etc.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: December 28, 2010 03:56AM

When to eat?

Refueling glycogen is crucial in keeping fitness high. restoring glycogen is crucial in keep immune system from crashing. restoring glycogen is key in staying raw strong.

i rarely get to super hunger, i try and eat way before then but sometimes im out riding and just gonna go out for an hour and then i run into a tour de france team that is lost in the adelaide hills and doesnt know where to go and i end up tak'n em out until i run out of glycogen and totally bonk when the hammer gets dropped up a hill or they start swapp'n off turns etc. smiling smiley

when i get home from a normal training session i drink straight away or ideally get water in me before i get to fruit. putting carbs on a dehydrated system is a great way to make us not want to train again! why? it just dehydrates the heck out of us. just look at the crew in the raw world that dont drink water or much of it..they are nice people but really really poor examples of raw eating. i make sure im piss'n like a race horse before im having a big fruit meal.

anorexia athletica is when people go and train and come back and dont eat or drink anything cos they are trying to cut weight. its a great one for CREATING eventual adrenal fatigue conditions like addisons etc. its a great way to have our body connect exercise with starvation and eventual death.

i leave minimum 3 hours between a fruit meal before intense workout. but i might have a piece of juicy fruit or a good mouthful of Datorade. so to be more objective, lets say im doing a hard 1hr ride in the morning at 6am. i will just grab a liter of water and a banana and go out and rawk'n roll. but if im going out for 2hrs plus i will have a decent meal. if its gonna be a real hard 2hrs plus then i have a smaller meal and make sure i ate enough the day before.

if i have a race in the afternoon i just have a good lunch of say 10-15 bananas or equivalent calories from datorade and then my race is at 6pm and i a banana or something 30 mins before. this is stuff i learnt from lance armstrong, cadel evans, asker jukendrup and any sports nutrition handbook. it works. its simple and it applies to anyone and everyone.

after exercise and after hydrating so we are piss'n clear, eat as much as possible, as slowly as possible, as soon as possible, as frequent as possible and as sweet and juicy as possible.. smiling smiley

Getting enough carb calories is vital.
Getting those carb calories from fruit makes us most vital.
Regardless of our weight or activity level, by eating 10g of carbs per kg of bodyweight per day we will reach/maintain our ideal health and fitness goals.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2010 04:06AM

Ten to FIFTEEN bananas??!!! Oh gawd ~ barf. Seriously, what else do you recommend? ANYthing other than bananas, please.

Date: December 28, 2010 05:07AM

associating any food with particulate matter being projected from a body cavity is sure to make it less appealing... lol

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 28, 2010 11:48AM

Its easy and Harley always kinds of bends the truth to make it look like anyone who suggests overwise is fruit phobic.

He is right in that short term exercise i.e under half an hour all they need is a carb source and banana happens to be a good one. But what he said following that is wrong and is exactly sport science 101 any exercise over 30 minutes begins to be classed as an endurance workout, which relies primarly on fatty acids/fats as there fuel source. The body has an intial store of glycogen for 30 minutes. The funny bit is that the more fit you become the more your body looks for fatty acids/fats as there primary fuel source. The next bit is and this applies to endurance athletes but after glycogen is depleted and if you have low levels of fats guess what the last fuel source the body goes for, yeah you got it MUSCLE. So in this case from a science point of view i cant see low fat being good for endurance athletes.

No one is saying go low sugar, but going low fat may also be detrimental to optimal performance. Ive always looked at nutrition in a moderate way, i.e low carb, low fat, low protein are all proven to have side effects and potentially lethal problems. But the same goes for high carbs, high fat and high protein again they all come with problems such as insulin resistance, we dont even need to say high fats side effects as there so well known, high protein stressing the kidneys etc.

Moderation and meeting your caloric needs is the most essential element.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2010 11:50AM by powerlifer.

Date: December 28, 2010 02:21PM

I'm joining the gym in the new year and planned to see a trainer to help me devise a program that suits my needs. I want to increase endurance (because, let's face it, kids run you raggedy and you need a LOT to keep up with them) and strength. I'm slim already, that's not a focus. Most programs are designed for weight loss and, for women at least, being "toned". Yawn. STRONG, as in muscles, and able to go and go and go and go and go. Is there a specific sort of trainer I should be looking for?

Date: December 28, 2010 02:29PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm joining the gym in the new year and planned to
> see a trainer to help me devise a program that
> suits my needs. I want to increase endurance
> (because, let's face it, kids run you raggedy and
> you need a LOT to keep up with them) and strength.
> I'm slim already, that's not a focus. Most
> programs are designed for weight loss and, for
> women at least, being "toned". Yawn. STRONG, as in
> muscles, and able to go and go and go and go and
> go. Is there a specific sort of trainer I should
> be looking for?

The worrying bit is many personal trainers at these commercial gyms just dont have a clue, i havent came across many, most get the local YMCA qualification then think they know the ins and outs of sports science. Dont be deceived by looks either it isnt hard to see someone with abit of muscle due to consistently working out but still prescribe dangerous information. Saying that you may get someone who knows there stuff, its abit like finding a decent naturopath.

Strength your going to want to focus on resistance training, hopefully they will show you the ropes with weights and so on. Resistance machines are crap they dont train the stabilizer muscles, they limit your range of motion etc. With weights compound exercises are best i.e squat, bench press, over head presses, bent over rows etc. These train many muscles at once rather than isolation exercises. In which case you can use higher weight and in many cases they relate to real life motions such as deadlift - picking up boxes from the groud.

Now im rambling again lol, a moderate cardio session i.e 30-45 mins running, cycling etc more than suffices increasing endurance in a modern lifestyle. Theres no real need to run for hours on end unless your training for endurance in which most cases you wont be strength training.

Date: December 28, 2010 02:36PM

That doesn't sound very hopeful, sigh. I can't waste my time and money here, maybe I'd be better off with a video program I do at home. I like that Tony Horton-hears-a-who (hee hee hee!) guy, I'm just worried I won't end up doing it. At home there are always dishes, laundry, chores to be done. It's hard to force myself to take time for me. And the kids, they get underfoot. They won't do the exercises with me, they just want to jump all over anyone who's doing anything that looks like fun grinning smiley.

Yoga? I mean, the sort we do in North America, yoga-robics not the praying kind. Or pilates? But that is all about that "toned" nonsense. Why women are so obssessed with being skinny is beyond me. Skinny = sensitive to cold in my experience. And Canada is COLD yo!

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: December 28, 2010 02:38PM

wow, yeah, pretty much everything powerlifer said, except he put it much better than I probably would have, I love cycling btw, whether on a real bike, or a good stationary one... awesome for cardio, I love the feeling I get, and its less impact on the joints than running, although running can also be really enjoyable, just my ankle and knee dont really allow for that so much anymore...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: December 28, 2010 02:52PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That doesn't sound very hopeful, sigh. I can't
> waste my time and money here, maybe I'd be better
> off with a video program I do at home. I like that
> Tony Horton-hears-a-who (hee hee hee!) guy, I'm
> just worried I won't end up doing it. At home
> there are always dishes, laundry, chores to be
> done. It's hard to force myself to take time for
> me. And the kids, they get underfoot. They won't
> do the exercises with me, they just want to jump
> all over anyone who's doing anything that looks
> like fun grinning smiley.
>
> Yoga? I mean, the sort we do in North America,
> yoga-robics not the praying kind. Or pilates? But
> that is all about that "toned" nonsense. Why women
> are so obssessed with being skinny is beyond me.
> Skinny = sensitive to cold in my experience. And
> Canada is COLD yo!

Dont get me wrong you may find a gem but ive trained at alot of gyms over the years, been involved in the bodybuilding communities and its the same all over. But you do get the odd one or two who are very clued up and its them you hope to come in contact with.

Cardio is fairly straight forward in that you dont really need anyone to show you how to do it other than working the machines if its your first time and the PTs will show you. Resistance training is abit different in that you need to nail down proper form so that you dont injure yourself.

Most gyms offer a free introductory session or at least they do in the UK, check one out and report back hehesmiling smiley.

Date: December 28, 2010 03:09PM

i take martial arts (kung fu)

. and wow the training you get in kung fu for the legs is killer. IM not talking wing chun here tho..

Date: December 28, 2010 03:31PM

Hm. There are family classes I could take with the boy. I did mean for him to do that anyhow. Just have to find somewhere to stash the girl, she would Not be down with the kung fu action.

Date: December 28, 2010 03:47PM

Really? thats to bad... I believe martial arts, just about any martial art really, is useful for anyone to know... although the benefits can vary greatly based on the person, and who is teaching them...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 28, 2010 03:53PM

She's 3. I know you know exactly what that means. grinning smiley

Maybe later for her.

Date: December 28, 2010 04:03PM

hahahaha, well yeah, in most cases, not a great choice, there was a 3 and 5 year old in the class I used to participate in, and I was rather amazed at how awesome they where, I mean seriously, the 5 year old had more solid technique than me, and the 3 year old was getting there...lol... they seemed to be having allot of fun with their dad, at first I thought "oh god, a dad forcing his kids into a strictly disciplined art...greeeeeeeeeaat..." But he seemed to make some kinda game out of it with them, they where having a blast, I dont understand how...but it was cool,lol.

There where some other kids that came and went during the years I was in that class, most did not enjoy it, but those two are still there, long after I had to quit,lol...rare kids...lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 28, 2010 04:19PM

Ive been a big fan of martial arts since i was a kid, i first started with shotokan karate, then moved on tae kwon do and some other bits and bobs. Later on i properly got into boxing and thai boxing the later being my favorite art and with the right instructor the classes are gruelling lol.

You get all the benefits of improved self confidence etc along the way.

Date: December 28, 2010 04:30PM

Youd probably Enjoy American Kenpo, we mix and match from a ton of different styles,lol.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: December 29, 2010 08:37PM

well.. kung fu is the more internal of the arts.. more about character development, etc. that's why I chose it. Don't get me wrong though it's still bad-ass and effective as hell..

Date: December 29, 2010 09:20PM

Yeah, I like Kung fu, the Endless chicken kicks being done for hours and hours on end during the few traditional classes I went to with a friend at a temple... that was hardcore...lol... my legs ache just thinking about it!!!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables