Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Omega 3:6 balance when eating lots of nuts
Posted by: Delta223 ()
Date: December 24, 2010 02:39AM

From what I've read, our ideal Omega 3:6 ratio is somewhere around 1:2 - 1:4. The average American diet consumes 1:20 however (Omega 6 imbalance)

Are you guys concerned with this issue at all? I know my intake of Omega 6 is relatively high (I have a couple daily servings of nuts, which are high in O6)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Omega 3:6 balance when eating lots of nuts
Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: December 24, 2010 03:09AM

What is your intake of omega 3?

Posted by: Non ()
Date: December 24, 2010 03:33AM

i would stick only to nuts like wild jungle peanuts flax seeds hemp seeds chia seeds pumpkin seeds and walnuts. maybe brazil nuts.

Date: December 24, 2010 05:38AM

maybe the wild jungle peanuts aren't so good either. It's just arachidonic acid is not found anywhere else....

the rest of the nuts/seeds I listed are good tho.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2010 05:39AM by Non.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: December 24, 2010 06:28PM

If you eat alot of fruits and vegetables and very few nuts (Im down to 1 oz per week) you will find your ratio will always come close to the ideal range.
Its not hard to eat 1000mg/day of Omega3 just from fruits and veg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2010 06:30PM by WorkoutMan.

Posted by: Delta223 ()
Date: December 24, 2010 10:00PM

I personally intake about 1.5g a day of Omega 3s. If an acceptable ratio is 1:4 then that makes my Omega 6 allowance about 6g/day. This sounds like very little given the high fat content of nuts (I eat mixed nuts)

Date: December 28, 2010 12:58AM

do you really get omega 3s from fruits? what about ALA in specific? I always try to eat a minimum of flax seeds which is about 3 tablespoons a day for the ALA, and then some DHA supplement. But now reading that DHA can possibly converted much more readily in vegans from ALA than non-vegans.. then I guess simple flax seeds can do. So what fruits do have omega 3s then?

I know fructose converts to fat in the liver when blood sugar is low or something.. especially is consumed without the fiber so then does this have a part to play in the process?

Date: December 28, 2010 01:07AM

it seems these are the only fruits according to nutritiondata that have omega 3s

[nutritiondata.self.com]

Papaya is not listed though, I saw in another article that papaya may be the only fruit with more omega 3s than 6 in it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables