Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

B-12 in this bottled raw kombucha (?)
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 24, 2010 09:15PM

Normally I'd think this was bunk but there aren't a bunch of weird ingredients in here, it's just lavender, elderberry and raw organic kombucha. It tastes pretty good, not very sweet, slightly effervescent, and the label says 20% RDA of B-12 per bottle. Really? I thought there weren't any vegan food sources of B-12.

[www.synergydrinks.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: B-12 in this bottled raw kombucha (?)
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: December 24, 2010 10:14PM

Don't know about the B-12...

Since it has been "reformulated" the exp. dates are very short; In the store where I it is only good for maybe a week. I think I should go back to making it myself again...

Date: December 24, 2010 10:46PM

Because it is raw perhaps? Real food goes bad pretty quickly in comparison. I know my fresh apple juice etc only lasts a couple of days, even sealed. That cider we got at the store is still fine after 3 weeks! Troubling that, when you think about it.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: December 25, 2010 02:02AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because it is raw perhaps? Real food goes bad
> pretty quickly in comparison. I know my fresh
> apple juice etc only lasts a couple of days, even
> sealed. That cider we got at the store is still
> fine after 3 weeks! Troubling that, when you think
> about it.

I don't know...my home brew kombucha will last a good while before it turns to vinegar, lol. If I refrigerate it - it will last longer, as the fermentation slows...

I want to start making it again when I get a chance. I see several youtube vids where folks are using coconut milk and various fruits to flavor it. Yummy!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 25, 2010 02:05PM

coco,

I have always assumed that anything fermented will have B vitamins, including 12, 'cos that's what my chemical engineer/home brewer grandaddy taught me. We have since been told that ony "fortified" foods have B-12, and that plant B-12 are analogs that cannot be utilized as B-12 in primates. So, the B-12 in your kombucha is an analog. Presumably. Although it was flagged in analyis as actual B-12. Some hypothesis or other is incorrect, here. Clearly.

When you look up actual research data on the bioavailibility of B-12 from non animal sources, it is controversial(although vegan and veg societies make cautious recommendations based on them, as they should). There is a plain paucity of research on the effects of B-12 analogs on human metabolism. Most of the research is twenty or more years old.

I would drink the kombucha for its other benefits and not as a B-12 source. You can't overdose on B vitamins so you aren't overdoing it if you take a supplement, say, and drink the kombucha.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 25, 2010 02:43PM

It is likely a b12 analogue as tamukha says, but it gives you an exact percentage which makes me think they've added a synthethic b12 source.

Date: December 25, 2010 02:43PM

Interesting Tam, thanks for that. I thought I read though that taking analogues could interfere with absorption of actual B-12? Doesn't matter in the case of the kombucha as I'm not going to grow it myself and certainly not going to regularly spend nearly $4/btl at the store! But I do love my fermenting jar and eat lots of pickles from it when we're making them.

I don't think they've added anything to the brew, the ingredients list is Very short. Just the kombucha, elder and lavender.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2010 02:44PM by coco.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: December 25, 2010 03:35PM

It would be quite irresponsible of them not to list it if there was a synthetic b12 added but unless there going to test each batch of kombucha and print new labels each time according to b12 content then that is illegal also i believe.

I wouldnt worry about the b12 analogues causing any absorption problems with b12, i havent read much credible information on that.

Posted by: hiddenfang ()
Date: January 09, 2011 04:50AM

When I was in high school my mom went on a kombucha kick...I remember her making tea every couple of days, dealing with this huge mushroom, spending a fortune on honey! But I never lost the taste for it....even long after she gave it up as just another health fad.

So now I'd love to make it for myself, but how? Do I need a starter mushroom like she had gotten? Is there a (cheap) simple recipe?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables