Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How much calcium do we need?
Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: September 10, 2006 11:52PM

According to the SAD diet, 1,000mg for the average person. Does this go for the raw diet, also? I go on fitday, and I find I am getting about 400 mg of calcium. Is this good, or do I need more? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much calcium do we need?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 11, 2006 12:00AM

A lot depends on your size and the rest of your diet, the acid/alkaline conditions, the other minerals you take in, and so forth. 1000 mg per day is on the safe side for most people, but a tiny person getting lots of weight bearing exercise on a high vegetable diet such as an Okinawan elder will probably be ok with an intake in the low 400s.

It's probably safer for most people to aim higher though because the foods that have a good calcium content will also be relatively high in other minerals, vitamins, and protective phytochemicals.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: September 11, 2006 12:21AM

I was just looking into this to try to figure out what kids really need. Anyone have any idea what that should be? Thanks

I did find some interesting things. Scroll down to Fig 1 and it shows the calcium intakes worldwide and the relation ship to bone health. Japan has the healthiest bones and they only eat 354mg of calcium a day.
[www.fao.org]

Non dairy calcium sources (figs are great):
[home.bluegrass.net]

Listings of acid/alkaline foods (my favorite list is down at the bottom). These would be important to figuring out if you eat a lot of acidic foods and thus need more calcium.
[www.rense.com]

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: September 11, 2006 12:47AM

It is the balance of alkaline sources and acid sources that is important for general health, and bone health in particular.

Possible alkaline sources:

- greens
- some fruits
- a positive outlook/happiness/joy
- light/moderate exercise
- sunlight

Possible acid sources:

- animal products
- nuts/seeds/legumes/grains
- stress/drugs (legal and illegal)/alcohol
- excessive exercise
- pollution/other environmental toxins

As far as diet goes, from what I have read, a good balance of 1:1 between calcium:phosphorus and also around 1:4-7 for sodium:potassium seems ideal.

Cheers,
J

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 11, 2006 04:49AM

The body is very good at not throwing away calcium. The reason the recommendations for calcium are so high is partly because of the dairy and meat industry influence on these numbers. Also, on the SAD diet, the body becomes so acidic that the diet actually causes leaching of calcium from the bones to neutralize the acidity. On a healthy raw diet, where protein is lower and hopefully the fat intake is lower than SAD this is not necessary. If a person is eating a low fat raw vegan diet with lots of fresh whole ripe fruits and greens, they will have more calcium than they need.

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: September 11, 2006 02:24PM

Thanks everyone. Very interesting, indeed. Makes a lot of sense. Well, I won't worry about calcium anymore then.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: September 11, 2006 03:14PM

Did anyone else see that huge calcium study by medical researchers whose results came out recently? Well basically the results indicated that calcium supplements don't do jack, and neither do foods which have always been touted as important sources of calcium such as dairy. Researchers shook their heads in disbelief and still continue to recommend the usual nonsense to help prevent osteoporosis. Some even went so far as to attempt to manipulate the numbers to correspond to their pre-existing beliefs about calcium.

The answer, of course, is leafy greens. Plus sunlight.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: September 11, 2006 10:13PM

Just 1/4 cup of UNhulled sesame seeds contains 351 mg of calcium, more calcium than a whole glass of milk (276mg)! Also, an orange contains 72 mg of calcium, so if a person eats 4 oranges a day, that's 288 mg of calcium. 1 whole head of romaine lettuce has 207 mg of calcium. 1 cup of kale has 137 mg, and 1 cup of collards has 52 mg.

Best wishes, -Ally

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables