Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Which is better, fresh or frozen?
Posted by: Delta223 ()
Date: January 05, 2011 12:59PM

I don't have the money for organic yet so I'm confined to regular grocery shopping. I've read that frozen produce actually retains more nutrients because they are quickly put into freezers, whereas fresh produce is only refrigereated (for a 1-2 week truck ride to the store)

Does anyone know which is truly better?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which is better, fresh or frozen?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 05, 2011 02:20PM

If frozen is all that you have access to it is certainly better than nothing but fresh, whole foods are always best.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 05, 2011 03:34PM

Fresh that looks fresh is better than frozen; much frozen produce is flash pasteurized before packaging and is thus not truly raw.

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: January 05, 2011 06:37PM

Frozen foods: picked at the peak of ripeness. Fresh food at most stores: picked before ripe so it can last for weeks until sold. So, from that perspective some frozen foods just taste yummier -- organic strawberries, frozen, in a smoothie are soooooo flavorful.

But overall, fresh is always better than frozen because as Tam said some frozen is flash pasteurized, some is blanched, and if not properly thawed the cell structures are damaged thus destroying nutrients. Fresh picked locally grown from a farmers market... the best!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 05, 2011 06:42PM

RocketShip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
if not properly
> thawed the cell structures are damaged thus
> destroying nutrients.

I'm under the impression that it's expansion of the water in plant cells that damages their structure, not the thawing. Please enlighten me to your alternate view on this...

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: January 05, 2011 06:59PM

It has to do with method used to freeze and method used to thaw and item being frozen. You are right in that the ice crystals damage cell walls.

Now how is it that those little bugs and frogs can freeze and thaw and survive, and seeds and grass can grow after being frozen, and embryos can become babies afterwards, but they can't figure out how to keep a strawberry from getting mushy? LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables