Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anemic and Raw
Posted by: emmylou ()
Date: September 12, 2006 11:08AM

Hello All, this is my first time here to post, I Love reading here. I was hoping someone could suggest something that would help my Anemia. I recently went with Raw about 3 months ago, which I am loving. Unfortantley, I went to the doc for my yearly and found out I am severly anemic. I am sure I was anemic before I went to Raw lifestyle of eating but now I want to make sure I get enough iron and absorb it all ..Any suggestions? I am currently now taking Floradix, but too soon to check my Blood Iron to see if it is helping! I don't want to eat any meat and am tolerating a few eggs!

Thanks, Emmylou

Options: ReplyQuote
Watermelon - any thing red
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: September 12, 2006 01:09PM

Re: Anemic and Raw
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 12, 2006 01:41PM

Use the nutrient search tool at [www.nutritiondata.com] and search on the vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds highest in iron and eat a lot of those. One caveat is that the goosefoot family members (spinach, chard, purslane, beet greens) are high in iron but the iron is bound up by oxalic acids and so will not be very available.

Lettuces and cruciferous leaves will have lots of available iron per kcal but you have to eat a lot of them to get a lot of iron out of them.

We have all these useful tools online now so there is no excuse.

It's completely unnecessary and also mean to eat animals to maintain adequate iron status.

Posted by: emmylou ()
Date: September 12, 2006 02:38PM

Thank You! Piano Gal and Arugula.. Already checked out the website ,so this will be very helpful! I have no intention of eating meat, I have just cleansed myself and feel wonderful! Except for the anemia, but it is written that hemme iron is better absorbed than non hemme..so that would be a lassssst resort.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: September 12, 2006 09:17PM

I eat sunflower seeds for iron. I agree with arugula. You can go to www.nutritiondata.com. You can use the tools available to search by nutrient (in this case iron), or you can try searching different foods (see search tool upper right on the home page).

If you search by nutrient, you can search by nutrient content/200 calories or nutrient content/100 grams. I find it more informative to search by nutrient content/100 grams.

Also, (as arugula suggested) if you search by nutrient, it's important to search each of the major raw food categories: fruits, veggies, and nut/seeds. When you see a food you like toward the top of the list, you can click on that food to get to the page for just that food. You can adjust the serving size at the top of the page to see how much iron you get from that serving size. The percent DV column will tell you what percent of the RDA (recommended daily allowance) you are getting from that serving.

Best wishes, -Ally

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables