Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Yes, we have no bananas?!
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 15, 2011 10:52PM

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

This is probably due to hybridization, I would think. The problem when you hybridize something is that it becomes more fragile and vulnerable to fungus, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yes, we have no bananas?!
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 16, 2011 07:23AM

I suspect this may be more an issue of cloning versus hybridization. Hybrids tend to be more robust as that is what occurs naturally. It is cloning that is unnatural.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 16, 2011 09:04AM

that is most likely correct Prana, lack of genetic diversity in a species makes it very unlikely they will survive stuff like this, and commercial bananas are all clones... its the easiest way actually to propagate bananas...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 16, 2011 01:17PM

Isn't it... the Only way to propagate bananas? They don't have viable seeds anymore, how else would they grow?

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 16, 2011 10:36PM

they grow in the wild without cloning... but yes, you are right, the varieties we see in the stores cannot be grown from seed anymore as that ability was bred out of them, then when they got it juuuuust right, the cloning began... they can use genetic engineering now days to add some genetic diversity, making them more resilient... but its only going to be a matter of time be4 mass market bananas are gone... Id be happy to see normal bananas seeds and all, they would be annoying to eat however,LOL... they also arent as tasty apparently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: January 17, 2011 04:28PM

Actually Coco, if you ever eat plantains, you can see a few black seeds still there. As I said on another thread, my mom's from Puerto Rico and I don't know if I am imagining this or not, but I recall that the seeds from those plantains were pretty large. But the last time I was there was almost 30 years ago so who knows...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 17, 2011 07:50PM

I have never found any seeds in a plantain here in Canada.

People will just have to make do with those red bananas or something. Ha.

Date: January 17, 2011 08:27PM

They are very little specks. I recall in the past in PR seeing bigger ones...I cannot verify that. Interesting that you mention the red bananas: where I live there have been many instances of very green bananas, which I refuse to buy. I don't feel they ripen properly and I even can tell which ones seem gassed by the shade of yellow. The red ones were what I ended up buying because I couldn't get a decent yellow banana for a bit! They are good and remind me of the taste/texture of mini plantains...

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 18, 2011 07:38AM

It seem that in other seedless fruits, there are always seeds that make it back into the fruit. I wonder why this might not be the case with bananas.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 18, 2011 10:37PM

It seem that in other seedless fruits, there are always seeds that make it back into the fruit. I wonder why this might not be the case with bananas.

They've given up trying?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables