Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

getting enough iron
Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: September 12, 2006 08:47PM

i just found out that i'm anemic. my doctor prescribed iron supplements for me but i'd rather raise my iron levels through diet. i'm actually surprised that i'm anemic because i eat salads everyday, as well as some seeds and nuts. lately i've been adding a delicious raw kale and chard marinated salad that's sooo good!

i was just wondering, what do all of you eat that keeps your iron level high?

peace,

misha

well, i just noticed that there is a similar post about anemia and raw food posted earlier today, so i'll look for answers there..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2006 08:50PM by purenkind.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: getting enough iron
Posted by: Ally ()
Date: September 12, 2006 09:00PM

I eat sunflower seeds to get enough iron. You can go to www.nutritiondata.com and try searching different foods to see how much iron they supply (see the search tool at the top right of the home page).

Best wishes, -Ally

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: September 12, 2006 09:05PM

Hi,

I would suggest eating a small orange (or other high vit-C food) about half an hour before eating some high iron foods. This helps you absorb the iron in plants. Parsley is high in both iron and vit-c, so maybe make some raw tabouli (use hemp seeds instead of bulgar wheat). The lemon juice in tabouli also contains vit-c to help with the absorbtion of the iron.

Ian.

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: September 13, 2006 06:55PM

Have your blood check for not only the Iron levels but your ferritin levels.

Most Doctors and or labs only check the Iron level but should check the more accurate ferritin level.
If the Ferritin number (should range between 80 to 440 ml) is low then your Anemic.

Why Vegan?
Because I have the most love and admiration for all animals of the earth!!!
a rawvegan hopeful, rawdev4life!!!

Date: September 13, 2006 07:16PM

thanks everyone! i'm glad to know about the vitamin C helping to absorb iron. and also about parsley! i'm going to start eating alot of it! i think i'll make some tabouli and just load it up with parlsey! i don't have any hemp seeds (actually i've never had them before but i'm thinking of trying some soon) so i think i'll use sprouted quinoa instead. also the kale and chard salad was marinated in olive oil and lemon juice so i'm glad that it helped to absorb the iron as well.

do any of you take iron supplements? i origionally was against taking supplements but now i'm considering it because i really want to feel more energized sooner rather than later. any suggestions?

Posted by: emmylou ()
Date: September 13, 2006 07:52PM

My Ferritin was a 2..I am still in shock, I was eating fairly well I thought,,but was not taking Iron, with leverls this low..I have to up my iron in my diet {raw of course} and supplement..

Good Luck Purekind!!!

Date: September 13, 2006 09:13PM

just found out something surprising..

i did a search on nutritiondata.com for foods with both high vit c and iron content and this is what it said..

raw swiss chard
vit c 18%
iron 4%

cooked swiss chard
vit c 53%
iron 22%

same with spinach..

raw spinach
vit c 14 %
iron 5%

cooked spinach
vit c 29%
iron 36%

how is this possible??
if this is true then i'm going to be steaming my greens for a while, but of course still be eating lots of raw salads..

Date: September 13, 2006 09:40PM

I agree! I thought raw foods maintained all the enzyemes, vitamins and minerals?? Well, I am curious about this! I may have to steam my spinach as well..thanks for the research. Can i ask you what your Hemoglobin was Purekind? Mine was 7.9 ..

Thanks, emmylou

Posted by: mallow ()
Date: September 13, 2006 09:47PM

Actually, I think the steaming only increases the iron because you need more spinach to make a serving.
Also, beets are amazing for iron.
Beware of supplemental iron, I've heard bad things about it. But, do whatever you think is best.

Date: September 13, 2006 09:55PM

I agree mallow, i just read.. I will stick to raw, and try beets although not my favorite, My supplemental iron is Floridix, plant based,,the best i can find so far..any thoughs on this??

Thanks

Date: September 13, 2006 11:20PM

emmylou, my hemoglobin is 11.4

Date: September 14, 2006 12:54AM

Thanks purenkind, mine was 7.9, I can only hope to get mine to 11.4..you are just under the normal..not to be taken lightly, but thats not too bad!!

Good luck too you?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 14, 2006 02:41AM

purenkind Wrote:
>
> i did a search on nutritiondata.com for foods with
> both high vit c and iron content and this is what
> it said..
>
> raw swiss chard
> vit c 18%
> iron 4%
>
> cooked swiss chard
> vit c 53%
> iron 22%
>

[snip]

> how is this possible??

You are looking at same weight servings, not same kcal servings. There is a big difference.

Also forget about goosefoot leaves as a source of iron. They do have this much iron but it is bound up in oxalates and your body will not be able to use much of it. USDA nutrient database values do not adjust for bioavailability.

Lettuces and cruciferous leaves will be better sources of iron than spinach, chard, beet greens, purslane, etc.

Date: September 14, 2006 03:07AM

thanks for the heads up arujula

just found this information on the web..

Oxalic acid occurs naturally in quite a large number of plants. The human body also synthesizes oxalic acid from ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). Oxalic acid may combine with calcium, iron, sodium, magnesium, or potassium to form less soluble salts known as oxalates. Oxalates also occur naturally in plants.

Since oxalic acid binds with important nutrients, making them inaccessible to the body, regular consumption of large amounts of foods high in oxalic acid over a period of weeks to months may result in nutrient deficiencies, most notably of calcium.

Oxalic acid is a strong acid, and is irritating to tissue all by itself. Extremely high doses are fatal. Oxalates, on the other hand, form tiny little insoluble crystals with sharp edges, which are also irritating to tissue. So, high levels of oxalic acid/oxalates in the diet lead to irritation of the digestive system, and particularly of the stomach and kidneys. They may also contribute to the formation of kidney stones (the most common form of kidney stone is composed of calcium oxalate).

Foods containing these chemicals may be consumed in moderation. However, if you suffer from kidney disease, kidney stones, rheumatoid arthritis, or gout, it is usually recommended that you avoid foods that are high in oxalates or oxalic acid. Foods generally found on the list include: chocolate, cocoa, coffee, most berries (especially strawberries and cranberries), most nuts (especially peanuts), beans, beets, bell peppers, black pepper, parsley, rhubarb, spinach, swiss chard, summer squash, sweet potatoes, and tea.

Plant foods with high concentrations of oxalic acid (over 200 ppm) include (but are not limited to): lamb's-quarter, buckwheat, star fruit, black pepper, purslane, poppy seeds, rhubarb, tea, spinach, plantains, cocoa and chocolate, ginger, almonds, cashews, garden sorrel, mustard greens, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, soybeans, tomatillos, beets and beet greens, oats, pumpkin, cabbage, green beans, mango, eggplant, tomatoes, lentils, and parsnips.

sooo, what's the best things to eat? i guess lots of lettuces and brocolli. the thing is i'm already eating huge salads every day filled with mixed greens and i haven't been getting enough iron. what else should i be eating?

Date: September 14, 2006 03:23AM

learing about the blood is very interesting to me..
i just looked this up as well..

Hemoglobin (HGcool smiley - is a protein, carried by red blood cells, which transports oxygen through the body.

Hematocrit (HCT or Crit) – the hematocrit is the amount of red blood cells compared to water (plasma) in the blood. Chronic renal failure causes the hematocrit to go down because the red blood cells do not live as long, and the kidneys no longer make the hormone that helps to make red blood cells. If your hematocrit becomes too low, a blood transfusion may be necessary. Most patients receive synthetic erythropoietin to help with this problem.

emmylou,

wow your HGB is alot lower than mine. best wishes in raising it..

what is your HCT (hematocrit) level? my is 34.6. the healthy range is considered to be 35.0 - 60.0. i'm just a little below the low end of the spectrum. guess i'm not doing too bad..i am starting to wonder if my low iron level may be due to an extended master cleanse that i did just a couple of months ago for 34 days. not much iron during that time. maybe i just have to build it up again.

are you going to try and raise your HGB level through diet alone, no supplements?
a friend of mine was telling me about angstron iron. do you know anything about it? i'm going to research it as a possibility.

Date: September 14, 2006 03:17PM

Purenkind,

My HCT is 25.4 and MCV 62 and my MCH is 19.5 all my numbers are very low, I am convinced for me it is due to lack of Iron supplements combined with heavy mensus. I have never taken Iron and dont eat meat, however. I am only into Live foods for 2 months, so this is not why for me! This has happened over years for me. For you, it could be due to your master cleanse. This can be serious, so since you are borderline with your numbers, just pay close attention to what you eat and moniter your blood work. Supplements may be optional for you at this point , but mandatory for me, if I do not get My Numbers up, I am looking at IV Iron Infrusion and I can tell you, I am willing to do anything else 1st before i get to that!

Thanks, emmylou

Date: September 14, 2006 04:15PM

P.S.

I am taking Floradix IRON+HERBS this is a plant based liquid supplement, I like it a lot no side effects ..Also I take Organic Blackstrap Molaases and Chlorophyll..in addition, I am trying to eat as much Iron as possible at each meal and snacks,

Raw Hummus with extra Tahini
Lots of seeds and nuts
Greens..lots

Still reading how to get more Iron in my diet, I am going back next read to have my blood checked again, hopefully is is up at least some!

emmylou

Date: September 14, 2006 04:51PM

emmylou

i did some research on angstrom minerals at the nature's first law website. i'm thinking of ordering some angstrom iron, but i'm looking for a less expensive place to get it. i'll post it when i find it..

this is what i found..

Why Angstrom Minerals?

Angstrom-sized minerals are 1,000,000 times smaller than colloidal minerals. Research done by the US military and the National Institute of Health (NIH) on angstrom minerals began as far back as the 1950's, however this research was not made available to the public until now. Angstrom-sized mineral supplementation may dramatically increase the strength of the immune system, the endocrine system, the digestive system, the skin and increase alertness as well as the ability to focus. Angstrom minerals are now available in angstrom-sized mineral supplements dissolved in 7-times distilled, highly-purified water.

Angstrom minerals are an enormous advancement in mineral technology. They represent a quantum leap in supplement nutrition. Unlike bulky, difficult to absorb, colloidal minerals or mineral compounds (calcium citrate, calcium carbonate, copper glutinate, chromium picolinate, zinc picolinate, potassium sorbate, etc.) all of which are of uncertain quality and effect, angstrom-sized minerals are small enough so that they are nearly 100% assimilated by the human body. Angstrom-sized minerals are the same size as the minerals found in plants.

The general theory about mineral supplementation had stated that "chelated" minerals (minerals processed by plants with one or more carbon atoms attached) were the most absorbable forms of mineral supplements. The new understanding about minerals indicates that the size and water solubility of the mineral are the most crucial factors in mineral supplement absorbability and utilization. Because angstrom minerals are bound to hydrogen molecules, they are soluble in water.

These extremely small, water-soluble mineral clusters help us avoid the problems associated with standard mineral supplements which can create "silting" in the body (as may be found, for example, with the graying of the skin due to an excessive intake of colloidal silver or with the increase of calcium deposits in the body due to poor quality calcium supplements).

Regular mineral supplements and colloidal minerals and water with a high count of total dissolved solids (TDS), may cause an extracellular mineral build-up because the minerals cannot get into the cell. This may be why it appears that someone has a high-mineral content in their diet, yet they are not healthy - the minerals are not getting into the cell. It has been noted that iron build-up (hemochromatosis), copper build-up, silver build-up (argyria) and other colloidal or supplemental mineral overdoses have all been "balanced" with the use of angstrom minerals. Through some yet undiscovered mechanism, the angstrom mineral helps the body knock out the colloidal or chemical mineral from the extracellular space.

It is important to remember that angstrom mineral supplementation is not a quick fix; it should be considered part of a long-term health program. We present you angstrom mineral supplements because we feel they are the best mineral supplements ever. After taking angstrom minerals, some people may feel a difference within 48 hours, for others there is a more subtle change over time. Ultimately, most people feel increased energy, an improved sense of well-being, a build-up of vital reserves and experience the common cold less often.

Angstrom minerals are so small that they are more similar to a vibration than a solid object. This makes the quality of the water important as the water is a known carrier of vibration. The angstrom minerals we distribute are unique in the world as we put them in a pharmaceutical grade (7 times distilled) ultra-pure water. We recommend a sublingual (under the tongue) application of these minerals.

Angstrom minerals are created from the pure mineral which is pulsed with high-frequency energy (similar to a laser) that disassociates mineral clusters into smaller and smaller units and puts the minerals into suspension in water.

Angstrom minerals contain no calories or energy in themselves, but assist the body in energy production, tissue regeneration and biological support of all kinds.

Date: September 14, 2006 11:58PM

I may have to try this as well, very intersting! Thanks for the research! Did you have any symtoms with your anemia?

How long have you been eating Raw?

Date: September 15, 2006 03:00AM

actually the reason i got the blood work done was because i was feeling really exhausted all the time, and also my bowel movements were a strange color, which made me wonder if my gall bladder or liver were maybe having some trouble. i also was feeling nauseous alot. i really thought i had gall stones and was gearing up for a gall bladder flush, (which i still may do soon) but then all my blood and stool tests turned out negetive. i was surprised to find that i was a little anemic. i've been eating about 95% raw for almost 3 years. how about you?

Date: September 15, 2006 11:57AM

Well, this is the weird thing, I went in for my yearly with OB GYN.and my 1st stick my iron was low so she did a full CBC on me .and I am severly anemic! But I don't really fell bad at all.. I would neer have known I was this sick.. now I do..I am emtional worn down, because my numbers are very low I am worried that i may have damaged some of my vital organs! I do a lot of yoga and I think that this has helped my energy overall, I did however notice my yoga practice was a bit more challeging {rapid heart beat} upon more exertion, but I thought maybe age related ..I am 46, and/or my yoga practice has changed a bit..different teachers..but other than that, I feel like I alwayds did. I was intoduced to raw foods a couple of years ago by another yoga teacher from California, and have been trying that for about 2 years but I finally was able to go about 95% raw in July of this year and I love it..love the way my food tastes..the way I feel.. everything..then I went to the doctor.. so..here I am.. I am still staying raw with my diet I love it tooo much, But I have to get my blood count up!

The wonderful thing is, I don't like cooked foods anymore, this transformation..in July, kinda happened so naturally, and now..I just can't eat cooked foods..I don't want to..they just taste terrible! That is the beauty of Live Foods..one anyway!

Date: September 16, 2006 07:18PM

hey emmylou,

Here is a kale and chard salad reciipe that i've been eating lately that'
s full of iron. i changed it slightly by adding less olive oil and more lemon juice so that the extra vitamin c will help in absorbing the iron. i thought you'd like it..

it's from elaina love's recipe book..

SALAD:
1 bunch fresh kale
1 bunch Swiss chard
1 medium red onion, sliced very thin
2 cloves garlic, cruched (optional)
2 medium avocados, cubed
1 medium zucchini or summer squash, julienne or 10 shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
dash of dried jalapeno or cayenne pepper

MARINADE:
3/4 cup olive or flax oil
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. Celtic sea salt

Remove the stems of the kale and chard, and tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Pure the marinade over the leaves and mix well with your hands. Squeeze the leaves well with your hands to help the leaves become soft and tender.

Mix rest of the saad ingredients into the bowl and allow to marinade for another hour or more.

TIPS:
The longer you alalow the salad to marainade the tenderer it becomes.

The salad will keep, well sealed, in your refrigerator for up to 5 days.

For a creamy dressing, place the marinade ingredients in the blender with one of the avocados and blend. For variety, add a chunk of ginger to the bender.

Enjoy!!

Date: September 17, 2006 02:46PM

Thank you sounds very delicious! I love kale and haven't had much chard, so anxious to try this from just the pure taste as well as Iron content!

Many thanks!!

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: September 17, 2006 08:04PM

Raisins have high iron in them, but you don't want to eat too much of them. I eat sea vegtables such as dulse. Very high in iron! and delicious, if you've never tried them.

Interesting information, btw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2006 08:05PM by shep252.

Date: September 18, 2006 07:58AM

i've tried dulse and i really didn't like it. i'm hoping that it's one of those tastes that grows on you after a while. are all sea veggies high in iron?

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: September 18, 2006 11:14AM

Nettles are very high in iron. I pick them wearing gloves and then either juice or blend them which stops them from stining you.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: September 18, 2006 05:00PM

thanks rob, i'll try them..

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: September 19, 2006 01:07PM

My partner's bloodwork has several times shown a low ferritin level. Supplementation didn't help much, nor did eating high iron foods in large quantities. However, when she ate smaller meals, her ferritin level shot up, as well as her B12.
Eating excessive amounts of food inhibits absorption. There is so much food in one's digestive tract, it gets pushed through without being well absorbed.
I don't know how much you are eating, but I know many raw fooders tend to overeat. You may try eating meals of no more than a two-cup volume for a week or two and then get tested to see if it makes a difference.
Chickory

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: September 19, 2006 09:57PM

Great advice, chickory!!

Posted by: monochromatism ()
Date: September 21, 2006 03:08AM

Iron supplements make me uncomfortable (...and pukey, literally).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables