Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Best sugar for baking
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 18, 2011 05:10PM

I thoroughly enjoyed reading the posted commentary on agave - I've been so hesitant about it but it is in EVERYTHING and is difficult to avoid. Everything that is considered "raw" or vegan, anyway. I'm a vegan and do not have honey, mostly because it is too difficult to ensure it was ethically and most naturally extracted. I am a serious recovering sugar addict with a love for baking and am exploring my other sugar options and really need some guidance. I've tried stevia but it always leaves a bitter aftertaste, and I've tried mixing it with other sugar but I can still taste the bitterness. I've tried fruit concentrate but it doesn't sweeten enough and messes with the texture. I'm looking for the BEST natural sugar alternative. Is molasses a good substitute? What about raw cane sugar? Or brown rice syrup? I want something that is low-glycemic and preferably raw. I'm going to keep messing with stevia, but I really need something else for my baking as well. Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best sugar for baking
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 18, 2011 05:17PM

Molasses I believe is boiled,and most of the time sulfur is added. Unsulfered is available in some places. Anything with natural sugar is probably going to be high glycemic. I have seen some people use grape sugar, and date sugar. Still those products are sugar, and you would have to look them up in a gylcemic index chart.

Of course, if you are baking, anything you started off with raw will become baked with whatever else you mixed it with. The only advantage of starting with raw would be that its been only cooked once.

Date: January 18, 2011 05:18PM

Sorry darlin', this is a RAW food site, you probably won't find a ton of advice on baking here smiling smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 05:18PM by coco.

Date: January 18, 2011 07:19PM

Yes "darlin," I'm fully aware this is a raw site. I'm new to the raw community, but I can still "bake" raw recipes. I'm looking for the best sugar to use in those situations!

Date: January 18, 2011 07:43PM

Ah, in that case I use a lot of dates sometimes including their soak water. Very sweet and without a distinctive flavour like raisins.

check out this blog for amazing recipes
[thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com] she uses some agave but I sub it out for other stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 07:45PM by coco.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 18, 2011 11:07PM

Dates, or naturally dehydrated fruit purees. Good luck.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 19, 2011 12:01AM

dates. and trying to get off of the non-fruit-sugar addiction.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 19, 2011 05:55AM

I agree with using dates. Nothing is going to be tasteless like table sugar if it is truly raw. But you get used to the added flavor of the dates after using it for awhile.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 19, 2011 08:14AM

i use blended dates smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables