Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Early morning food makes me nauseous
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 19, 2011 02:22PM

I start off the day with a smoothie and my stomach doesn't love it. Same with any food but it's surprising that a simple fruit and baby spinach blend makes me feel off. Not really queasy just... uncomfortable. I don't gulp it either, I drink it slowly mouthful to mouthful.
This morning I tried warm lemon water first thing instead and had the same reaction. I'll give juicing a go but that's such a proceedure I don't know if I'll have time in the AM.

I could wait to have anything but mornings are a busy time and often waiting doesn't work, we'll be out of the house already, I can't always carry a flask, all that liquid makes me have to pee quite desperately which is difficult to organize on the go with a little kid in tow and all our winter gear on etc. Plus if I wait I sometimes find myself extremely hungry and willing to eat whatever I can find out which is never healthy.

Does anyone else get this early morning queasiness and what do you do that works better? I am about to start some intensive yoga (as soon as I work out my sleeping schedule so I can get up 2 hours earlier. Hello valerian at night!) and that might help get my internal fire up so we'll see.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Early morning food makes me nauseous
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 19, 2011 02:36PM

I have NEVER been a morning food person pre or post raw foods .. i just cant stomach food shortly after getting up .. i get nauseatted as well

i cant really offer any advice thos .. as i dont have the kid situation ..

i guess you could just make the smoothie and keep in fridge till yer ready so it doesnt throw your morning schedual off smiling smiley

quite often i will nibble at a few seeds or nuts in the morning .. i see alot of people leaveing their nut/seed intake till later in the day .. but i seem to like them in the morning more than anything else ..and well it gives me a chance to burn off the extra fat throughout the day grinning smiley

i think this habit harkens back to my granola with nuts and seeds breakfast i used to always have in the mornings smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: January 19, 2011 02:36PM

I used to feel similar when i had low stomach acid problems so it will be interesting to see how the bitters help you in that area.

Stomach acid is lowest at morning and just before bed.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:06PM

ok, I have a few questions to try to figure out if it is a seperate symptom. First, are you 100% raw, or do you eat some cooked foods? Because if you switch between cooked and raw at all it can cause that feeling because it is often the body trying to recover from the cooked food by feeling ill for a while. And second, if you are all raw, then I am wondering how long have you been raw? When I went 100% it felt very similar to how you feel. Like i had to force down my morning smoothie sometimes against my stomachs will, just because I knew hours later my metabolism would be slow and my stomach would be screaming. For some reason I relate the stomach issues to detoxing. I feel once a person gets more used to these foods and the body isn't dealing with such a heavy load, then it doesn't feel so bad it the stomach. Also, its good to drink a large cup of water right when you get up, even though sometimes that is so unappealing to me. It helps rinse built up filth out of your stomach and system. Then usually readies the stomach for food sooner. I used to take a digestive enzyme pill every morning with water about an hour before eating anything. This helps digest dead materials and old foods in my system before putting new food in.
good luck with this. Maybe spinach isn't the right green for you either, I don't know.....might be worth experimenting with others.

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 19, 2011 04:33PM

Maybe soak some chia seeds? They are supposed to keep you hydrated and all...I have my first bag but I haven't opened them yet.

Date: January 19, 2011 04:55PM

I have some chia but they are so darn expensive I find myself not wanting to use them up! Ha ha.

Powerlifer, I drank that warm lemon water for just that reason, it's supposed to incread HCacid in the belly. I drink quite a bit more water lately than every before, I've not been much of a thirsty person in the past so I'm up to a moderate amount of pure water daily compared to some but it's more to me. Plus tons of juicy fruit and veggies of course, and tea and smoothies too. I figure I'm well hydrated.

I am not 100% raw anymore nor will I ever be again I'm pretty sure. I did that trip and while it works for lost of stuff it sure isn't the end answer for me. I did it for a good long time too but this morning food thing has been pretty steady in my life. There are days, rare, that I wake up ravenous and want to eat a big meal. I don't know what's up with that, I should start charting all these things to find patterns but really, I am so incredibly busy already I don't know how I'm squeeze anything else in!

I'll switch up the greens. I used to use all sprouts, sunflower etc, but it was the same. And I used to take digestive enzymes as well but found out how bad they actually are for the body so I stopped. Sometimes I still will chew up a papaya enzyme tablet if my stomach is unhappy but I figure that's actually close to what I'd get if I ate an actual papaya so it's only going to do me good.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 19, 2011 05:48PM

It may be that some mornings you are less hungry than others, depending on what you ate the night before. I would recommend checking in with yourself before you eat and ask yourself (and feel inside) "am I really hungry?". If you aren't really hungry, could just try drinking some plain water at that point, and then check in again in an hour or so. I am not recommending denying yourself, but seeing if you are eating because you are hungry, rather than eating because of habit.

Also, I assume you are chewing your smoothie, as that is necessary to mix in saliva into the smoothie, as well as warming up your digestive system.

Myself, I often don't eat my first meal of the day until 2pm.

Date: January 19, 2011 06:15PM

It's a tricky thing to schedule, this eating only when you are really hungry. If I don't have something first thing I will be so faintingly hungry by the time I am able to again. So I get that smoothie down even if I'm not really truly hungry yet or I'll miss my chance. Not ideal, I know, but the best I can do.
I have a flask that holds quite a bit, not that I want to add another heavy thing to my load of stuff I need to carry around daily for the kids and myself but I might try taking a smoothie with me for later in the morning just to see.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: January 19, 2011 09:11PM

#Drink a quart of water upon rising to help hydrate your body for proper digestion.

#When we get dehydrated, our digestion is shocking.

#By undereating fruit as a raw fooder, you wont be able to sleep properly and this also effects digestion.

#By eating sufficient calories from sweet fruit (3000+) then you will EASILY be able to say no to the other stuff, get better sleep and be a more alive person and have the energy to build and maintain a fit, lean, strong body. Not to mention daily sanity in this insane world.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 19, 2011 09:50PM

coco,

Try bearing up and carrying the smoothie out with you in a flask. If you are not liking the smoothie first thing, which is predigested and should be easy for you to process, then try eating something simpler, like a small red banana or a peeled red apple and see how you do. In any case, take food with you but don't eat in the morning unless hungry. I find I frequently don't get to my green smoothie until mid morning or noon, without feeling lethargic or cranky for lack of it.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: January 19, 2011 10:37PM

Years ago I used to awake without an appetite. I gradually worked into morning eating by starting with light energy foods/fruits such as a Banana, Apple or Orange.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: January 19, 2011 10:49PM

I used to have the exact same problem Coco with morning digestion, I still have it occasionally now, and at least for me, it seems to only happen when I eat after 5 pm, or within 4-6 hours of when I go to sleep (as we all know, I don't always get to sleep at a good time,lol) I dont really know if that has anything to do with your problem or not, its just whats been happening with me, Powerlifer is definitely correct about stomach acid being low in the morning and evenings though, maybe that's why I don't feel good if I eat to late?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: January 19, 2011 10:51PM

I could handle an apple. I wanted to try green apple juice in the morning, I've heard it's as energizing as coffee! And I'll take a smoothie to go. I need to sew myself a new bag with tons of pockets for all our junk.
I sure won't be drinking a quart of water at a time, that is Very hard on your organs to flood them like that. I wouldn't eat excessively all at once, the same goes for liquids. And I also won't be eating 3000 calories of sweet fruit daily, I'm not running marathons here, that is way too much food! And way too much sugar for me.

Thanks guys!

Posted by: merry ()
Date: January 21, 2011 04:31AM

do you get the same thing if you eat more solid things like muesli? maybe then having the fruits midmorning? just wondering...
I know warm lemon water is supposed to be super healthy but I find it to be very diuretic and hunger producing....dont know why as other people dont seem to get that effect.

Date: January 21, 2011 01:53PM

It's everything, even plain water hitting my stomach first thing in the morning is turning me off right now. Maybe I should start the morning off with yoga instead.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: January 24, 2011 03:35AM

I start the day off with lemon juice. It's like doing the master cleanse for a few hours everyday. I think it's supposed to wake up the digestive system too. Nothing else really interests me early in the morning.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 26, 2011 10:18AM

hey coco

what do u think of the idea of cutting up fruits, veggies and having nuts in little plastic baggies that you can put in a carry tote bag or backpack

just prep it ( even if that means just arranging it in the bags)
the night before

and the in the morning just grab the backpack and go

if u want it fresh, i think there is a company that makes these blenders that u can use on the run

not sure what the name is

but if anyone else knows, help coco out

then again, u may want to skip the smoothie entirely if u don't have access to the blender and are out and about throughout the day

and just chew your food a Lot so that it can be like u consumed a smoothie

don't stress too much about not wanting food in the morning

i can't recall the last time as an adult OR a kid that i actually WANTED food in the morning

the breakfast thing is so rare
that

i believe i can actually REMEMBER those few times in my entire life when i had breakfast

cuz it was such a rare event

not sure why that is

just is

grinning smiley

Date: January 26, 2011 01:36PM

The idea of eating on the run is just, I don't know, not so friendly to me. I like to sit and relax when I eat, be still, focus on the food, chew well, be grateful. Snacks are fine and all but always, always eating as you're doing something else, or several something elses, that right there gives me indigestion!

I'm toughing it out with the early morning smoothie, it's not so bad.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: January 27, 2011 04:09AM

hi coco,

maybe just try to eat earlier the night before so that the food you ate at supper is fully digested the next morning -

it may help your appetite to come back

cynthia

Posted by: allenstriker ()
Date: January 27, 2011 08:54PM

hi coco,

I had the same problem, perhaps your body is not accustomed to eating in the morning. Before I start this life style, I only just ate a cookie
in the morning, sometimes only a black coffee and sometimes nothing at all.

Why not try eating just a bit, and then you increase the amount.

Ricardo winking smiley

-------------------
My Blog:Raw Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks that I liked =D

Eat. Blog. Be Naked.

If it's love and dreams that you're looking then you'll become magical.
Now, let´s cast a smile spell.

Date: February 10, 2011 07:44AM

Hi Coco,

Even before I started eating raw I could never eat breakfast. I really can't eat anything comfortably until I've been awake at least 2-4 hours! I don't have any kids, but am very busy and this is terribly inconvenient. I try to drink some lemon water after I've showered...I can't even think about it before that. Even then I only drink about 4 to 6oz. Smoothies are just too heavy for me in the AM. Later in the morning I find that something light - like fresh berry salad (blueberries, strawberries and kiwi with a squeeze of orange juice over) is satisfying. I don't start smoothies or greens ...or even bananas until after 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

It's trial and error...whatever feels right and works for you is the right answer.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 10, 2011 03:53PM

Hey coco,

Hope you and the little ones are well. I feel the same way in the morning. I used to be worse. I think age has made it better. I like LV's I dea of cut up fruit. I carry a basket of fruit with me. Smoothies are a lot of food at once. I think just eating one whole banana at a time helps me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables